Thread: Miter saw dust collection

Miter saw dust collection

Hello All,

What do you folks use for dust collection for you miter saw? I've seen the plastic thing called a "Big Gulp", does this work? I've attached the dust collector to the the port on the saw but still have a lot of saw dust. Thanks

Joe

Hi Joe. I'm no expert on your question but no else has replied so I'll just tell you what I've read. The rear mounted collectors like you mention do help but do not get all the dust. Seems it's just the nature of the miter saw to throw dust in all directions. There are various plans and ideas for making collectors similar to the item you mention. Good Luck

Joe, there was a post on this very subject some time ago along with some very creative innovations (with pictures). Do a search.

Joe,

I think the challenge is capturing the airborne dust and whether or not you have a slider complicates the setup a bit. I built a semi-circle box that sits behind my SCMS with a DC port in the back. I have a "Y" in my DC that attaches the 2" hose to the saw port plus a larger hose to my box port. Between the two, nearly all the airborne stuff is captured, and I periodically vac out the saw dust that accumulates in the box. I don't know how to post pics, but hopefully you get the idea.

Good luck, Jack

I have an open stud wall behind my miter saw. I build a box between the studs that is large enough to catch the sawdust coming form the dust port on the saw. I then attached a shop vac hose to that. Works pretty well but doesn't get all the airborn dust.

Good Luck,

John

Hi Joe,

I decided that the best dust collection for this tool was to put the thing on a MSUV and wheel it out of the shop into the driveway when in use. I was just too difficult in my case to collect the dust and chips via DC.

You need DC both behind the saw and under the saw. Think about putting a large funnel under the saw that is hooked to your DC. Jim Becker did this...check out his site for info on it.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

There's also the "Nahm" solution, he cut a hole under his miter saw and connected a second DC connection to it using a baffle.

On mine, I took the un-used chip ejector fan nozzle from my dewalt 735 planer (the one you'd use with no DC system to shower your shop with shavings) and have it sitting behind the base of my saw pointed towards the front, basically making a vacuum path under the unit.

It's not 100% but it's close enough for me and the cost was right.

Mike

We've modified both of our miter saws with 4" flex hose to the dust bag location. To accomplish this we fabricated brackets to mount the hose to the saw. There are also wyes that go to a benchtop pick-up that collects the debris that the flex hose misses and act as a floor sweep to clean up the area with compressed air.

Before arriving at this solution we tried building boxes behind the saws and downdraft-type solutions, but the current set up works better than anything else we tried. I considered the big gulp but it seems pretty cumbersome compared to a simple hose.

We do have the benefit of an 8000cfm dust collection system, so YMMV.

-kg
    Attached Images Attached Images

I built a downdraft table for mine and I'm very happy with it.

See this thread.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...01956#poststop

David

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Groenke View Post

We do have the benefit of an 8000cfm dust collection system, so YMMV.

-kg

lol, 8000 cfm... I wish, I suppose you also have to ensure the miter saw is bolted down lest it get evacuated along with all the air in the building right?

I have a Makita with the dust bag, it worked somewhat except when I forgot to empty it. Tried a shop vac plugged onto the hole where the bag goes, works ok, not 100 percent, but better than the bag. Need to get the switch that makes the automatic turn on for the vac. Been meaning to try that vac on my belt sander. Has the same type bag dust collector. Probably a pain to put up with the hose, but might work well. Jim