Thread: LN benches

LN benches

I put my name on the waiting list for a LN bench last year and received an e mail asking if I still wanted it yesterday. If you do have one, are you glad you bought it? I have heard some speak of problems...not alot mind you, but for 2000.00 plus, I would expect it to be of the same quality as their planes.

So, would you do it again? Any buyers remorse?

Thanks

Mike

Disclaimer: I'm an unapologetic LN fanboy. (so say we all)

I have one. I had neither the time nor space to build my own and I'd do it again in a heart beat. I'll try and russle up a photo tonight. I ordered it at 32", which is kinda short.

I got the regular quick release vice on the front and a tail vise on the tail, I might potentially go for a twin screw on the front instead. I also got square dog holes, but I had asked for round, so make sure you specify.

Only change, I could really use a holdfast hole or two. But it's so purty, I am afraid to drill a hole in the top. I'm working now on a sawbench or two and a mortising stool. I've also been building some bench hooks to go with it.

Any way to merge these threads?

This got double-posted in the neander and general ww forums. That seems appropriate, since both would be interested. But it would be nice if the threads could be merged so that answers originating in either forum are seen by all.

Blog Entries

Not Sure about SMC

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Yeilding View Post
    This got double-posted in the neander and general ww forums. That seems appropriate, since both would be interested. But it would be nice if the threads could be merged so that answers originating in either forum are seen by all.
    I am a moderator on another site. We have rules about cross posting. Some of the other sites we are affiliated with do not have the same rules so there is always a little conflict.

One thing we do is to place a pointer in one conference (forum) and that way all the answers are in one place. The pointers always have the same form as in "p>See post in neander about this bench" in the subject line.

A problem that arises, which is not the same here, some of the affiliates do not share all the same conferences.

Its always something…

just my 2˘

jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    One thing we do is to place a pointer in one conference (forum) and that way all the answers are in one place. The pointers always have the same form as in "p>See post in neander about this bench" in the subject line.
    That's a nice solution. Does the forum software do that automatically for you or is it up to the posters or moderators? And if so, is it vBulletin?

I'm used to usenet, where a single post can be crossposted by listing all of the target forums in the header. Then most "newsreader" software is smart enough to mark the message "read" in all forums once it has been read in one, and responses are by default sent to the same forums as the original. I have no idea if vBulletin has that type of capability, but thought I would ask. I suspect that what we have here is two separate but identical posts, with no link between them.

I found some pics

This was in the process of me making a jewelry box for the about-to-be-fiancee (who is now my fiancee).

http://picasaweb.google.com/matthew....73978138728754
    http://picasaweb.google.com/matthew....74201477028162
    http://picasaweb.google.com/matthew....74437700229458
    Last edited by Matthew Springer; 04-28-2008 at 2:18 AM. Reason: pic links

Matt, that's a beautiful bench. The "stuff" all over it reminds me of me, until a couple weeks ago. Can I suggest you look at Woodworking Magazine (Schwarz, w/o advertisements)(one of the last issues); there's an article on a window shelf/organizer to hold the chisels and planes at your reach.

wow, matthew that is a low bench.
    you seem happy with it? would you go higher if you were to go again?
    Steven Thomas

I'd probably get it about 2" higher, but I'm definitely goign to hang onto that one. I figured I could always make it higher, but I couldn't make it lower so I ordered it low.

The height works well for me planning, but I'm going to build another one higher up, Charlesworth style, at ~33" out of doug fir or pine or something. I'm right now trying to also build the Schwartz saw bench posted else where here.

One side effect of a nice bench is you're afraid to ding it up. So I'd make it out of a crappier wood.

Storage is a huge problem for me. I bought a house 2 years ago and that ate 75% of my free time and then got engaged wich ate another 80%. I'm in the middle of planning the wedding for Oct. compounding this, my shop has moved around some (and will after the wedding again), so I've never been in one spot long enough to build any storage. By the time I get the shop unpacked, I'm moving on. California is not, alas, conducive to stability or lots of free time. Mostly, I've gotten good at de-rusting planes after moves.

Oh and I was building this for the engangement ring:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/matthew....11167258193090

My first and only 100% neander (ok, 95% neander: I made the initial masonite cuts on the TS).
    Last edited by Matthew Springer; 04-28-2008 at 5:08 PM.