Thread: Cutting Out Font

Cutting Out Font

Can someone jog my memory? When trying to cut out font like the name of a business, isn't there a way to lock the letters together so it cuts out whole and not each letter???

Thanks for any help.
    God Bless,
    James & Zelma (Psalm 18:2)
    "Inscriptions Of The Heart"
    Texas
    ~A person is only as good as their word~

Highlight and then choose effects from the dropdown and then create boundary. As soon as you have done it the letters will be locked and there will be a hairline edge around the letters.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

If you do it that way, it doesn't cut out the middle of 'a's and 'o's etc. You have to:

(a) do it manually or
    (b) leave your original graphic there so it burns but doesn't cut, so you can see the middle bits or
    (c) if it's a scripty font where the letters touch, you can:
    ----(1) select your word
    ----(2) ARRANGE --> CONVERT TO CURVES
    ----(3) ARRANGE --> SHAPING --> WELD

EDIT: Attached boundary & welded comparison grafix
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Darren Null; 04-25-2008 at 4:59 AM.

You have to either manually kern the letters to touch and then convert to curves, weld and cut , use the node tool and pick the text to get to kerning.
    Or you can create an outline of sufficient offset that the letters are joined and then weld
    Or you can draw a small rectangle under the letters and weld it to the letters
    Sometimes only the bar method works and even then , you can see the dot on the i of melvins wont "join"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Or you can create an outline of sufficient offset that the letters are joined and then weld
    Ooh yeah, forgot about that. As a variation on a theme, you can also leave your original letters inside, set to burn but not cut so you end up with your word inside a blobby cut out outline

Would it work for you if you created an outline around the whole word, break it apart so the outline now stands alone, and then turn the outline into a cut line? I think this would work if you were rastering the name into the material first. What kind of material are you working with, out of curiosity?
    Vicky
    "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you." ~Zen Sarcasm
    The Toys:
    LaserPro Explorer 30W (with all the goodies)
    New Hermes Vanguard 3400
    New Hermes pantograph
    Really, really old heat press, with nothing to press now that my toner cartridge is RIP.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I think maybe I am in over my head and maybe this is something I need to really study. Nothing I've tried has really worked.

Thanks everyone, it's not your suggestions or should I say the teacher, it's the student.
    God Bless,
    Texas

Show us exactly what you want to achieve , perhaps a cdr with the font converted to curves and let us see whether we can find a solution
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Rodney,

I meant to get back to this but it is the name of our business and I know that is a no no, so I just didn't know how to respond. Thank you all for your help and your time.
    God Bless,
    Texas

I think you'd be fine posting the name of your business in a file as a cdr so someone can help you. It's not like you are advertising, you're asking for help with a file.

Maybe Mike or Joe can clarify.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.