Thread: Importing wood

Importing wood

Does anyone know if there are any issues importing wood? I have some friends in Australia that have access to red gum burl and they would ship me some if we can get it past customs.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
    Albert Einstein

Not sure about wood, but fruits and nuts require fumigation by a certified and liscensed professional to kill any stow away insects and plant diseases. The treatement is usually expensive, and requires a large volume to make it economical. I would like to get a few small pieces of australian wood myself, and always wondered how the process worked with wood. I'll keep watching this thread and maybe I'll get my answer.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Jon,

For a small package of wood, I don't think you'll have a problem. US Postal service or the Australian equivalent will ship without issue.

Importing a larger amount will require something to be done. Contact your local customs department (BCIS now I think). They will be more than happy to explain what you need to import.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

I have brought wenge back from the DR Congo several times and it has not been an issue; customs does require documentation for bulbs from Holland and seem to be attentive to these sort of things. After I declared it they did run all my bags through a machine; it looked different than the standard x-ray. I don't know if there is a different agency that handles posted items.
    Ben

Importing wood

Importing wood from another country to the States is not a problem if you follow a few simple rules to keep it simple.
    1: The wood must be free of bark.
    2: The wood must have a Fito sanitary certificate from the exporting countrys health dept stating it is disease and pest free.
    3: The invoice even if the product is free must state the common name and scientific name.
    4: The wood does not have to have any specific treatment but the pallet must be treated to export specifications. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISPM_15
    5: The exporter must make a packing list, obtain the bill of lading and forward to you for clearing by your self or a broker.
    6: Customs and the USDA may or may not inspect your wood and if they do it is an additional fee.

That is the basics and missing one or another thing they have the right to confiscate or fine you but are usually very nice. You must make a good sized shipment to make it feasable or just get your fito and send by mail and hope for the best. Also as Benjiman said a few peices in your suit case are not a problem.

I export from 2300 miles up the Amazon to our ware house in Houston and have never had a serious problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim King; 04-25-2008 at 9:21 AM.

Thanks for the info. I just intend to get small amounts, pen blanks and maybe some smaller bowl blanks so I should be able to just have them ship them in a box.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
    Albert Einstein