Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cabinet Screwdriver with Phillips Tip

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Curtis View Post
    Why is it that no-one, not even Lie Nielsen, sells a Phillips head English style cabinet screwdriver? Not even Axminster over in England.

I just missed the bidding on two that came up on eBay today.

Aren't phillips screws used in cabinet-making??

Gary Curtis

Tools for Working Wood has some decent-quality Swedish-made bit brace screw driver bits in 3 slotted sizes (6 mm, 8 mm, and 10 mm) and 2 Philips sizes (#1/#2 and #3/#4). Mine get used all the time, and you'd be impressed at how much torque an 8" brace can generate....

(They're listed under Drilling Equipment and are toward the bottom of that web page.)
    James

"Uke is always right."
    (Attributed to Ueshiba Morihei)

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    It worked pretty well. However, at the last minute I became concerned that it may not be strong enough or might not move smoothy enough (the judges were to put it through its paces), so I epoxied it together. Big mistake. I got marked down significantly for that.
    Derek,

Beautiful work! Is there any concern at the short-grain bend points in that brace? Have you considered a bent lamination?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Hi Chris

I did consider a bent lamination when first conceptualizing the construction. However, not only would it impact on the presentation of the wood grain, but I realised that it was unnecessary. This Jarrah is very strong. Like steel. I also had a lot on "fun" trying to turn the end grain of the pommel (not sure if that is the correct term after reading Christopher Schwarz)! I was constantly resharpening chisels. Very hard wood indeed.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Snap-On and Klien and many others make good quality tools. It is nice to have the ability to exchange a tool after years of use when it wears out. I am not sure if Sears still does that. Guess I could find out, I have a couple of their screwdrivers with worn tips.

For wood working, I bought a couple of English cabinet screwdrivers. Something like those shown here:

http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/turnscrews.htm

Not too many makers of these any more. Woodcraft has a set of four on closeout, but they do not say where they are made.

jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It is nice to have the ability to exchange a tool after years of use when it wears out. I am not sure if Sears still does that.
    I recently took an ancient broken Craftsman 1/4" drive ratchet in, definitely low-end but marked, and the guy gave me a top of the line one (I think he was in a good mood, or maybe wanted to stick it to management that day)

I have an original set of these (made by Irwin or Federal Tool many years ago):
    http://www.garrettwade.com/x-hd-scre.../p/05R01ddd03/

I like them. They have a good heft, and something about the shape of the handle works well for me. Almost like an infill-screwdriver.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    For wood working, I bought a couple of English cabinet screwdrivers. Something like those shown here:

http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/turnscrews.htm

Not too many makers of these any more. Woodcraft has a set of four on closeout, but they do not say where they are made.

jim
    I was wondering where you could get these. I had a few years ago and like them because the flat provides a place to use a wrench. I have one left and though I cannot see a makers mark it is the same design. Great drivers.

RD