Thread: Project completion gloat

Project completion gloat

Friends,

I finished the little table I was making for my kids. My favorite part of the project has to be the inlay work on the top. It was my first time doing it and all I had to go by was an episode on Roy Underhill's show. It came out pretty well. I might just add it to more pieces if I want to dress them up a bit. I took pictures of the construction; the more current shots are toward the bottom.

(click on the picture for construction details)

http://www.just4fun.org/woodworking/...s/childs_table

Matt, nice job on the table! Glad to see you killed some electrons in the process, as well! Very nice detail work and your pictorial on it is great!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Beautiful work Matt. Nice shop, too!

Matt,
    excellent!! Nice to see the construction pics!!!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Very Nice Matt, BUT....

Where's the picture of the customer with the finished product? I figured that you'd post a picture of a tea party and the smiling user. She sure is a cutie. (the table's pretty nifty too)
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH
    I figured that you'd post a picture of a tea party and the smiling user.
    I should post a picture of her drinking from a wine glass in your honor.

Great work Matt, and a job well done on the inlay!

Tom

Now accepting donations . . .

for the Matt Woodworth purpleheart replenishment fund.

Outstanding work! Thanks for sharing. I was going to make a comment about your fondness for purple heart, but your website explains that your were under orders from your lovely wife, Jackie.

Speaking of your website, folks really owe it to themselves to visit Matt's link. The inlay design he did was beautiful and he has much better pictures of that and other details on his website.

So how did you like handchopping those mortises with a real mortise chisel? I'm working on joiner's mallet right now to compliment my new mortise chisel. I'm looking at a 4+ inch tapered through mortise in red oak.
    Marc

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Another OOO La La! Matt,
    Now need the pix of customer/helper standing on table with muddy shoes, finger paint ear to ear, paste and cut. And washing the cat on new table.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Hills
    So how did you like handchopping those mortises with a real mortise chisel? I'm working on joiner's mallet right now to compliment my new mortise chisel. I'm looking at a 4+ inch tapered through mortise in red oak.
    Thank you to everybody for the kind words.

This was my first time hand chopping mortises. I am really happy with those chisels. I used them a lot on the bed I made earlier this year for paring the drilled mortises. The general agreement on the Hirsch/Two Cherries chisels is that they sharpen slowly but hold an edge well. That's been my experience too. I'm still not sure if I like a brace and bit or chopping more. I think that I like the brace and bit for large mortises and chopping for smaller ones but that may change as I gather more experience.

Tyler Howell: That's a great image you painted with your words. That's exactly what the table is intended for. She used it yesterday for her schoolwork but I have no illusions that it will be babied for much longer.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Tyler Howell: That's a great image you painted with your words. That's exactly what the table is intended for. She used it yesterday for her schoolwork but I have no illusions that it will be babied for much longer.

Arteest in the house! Matt when you weren't looking, I've taken a few tours of your shop. You do wonderful work. Ditto on the Purple Heart. Too Nice.

A couple years back I picked up some items I had made for my ladies from the X. They had been through he mill. The delicate cradle, bookcases, Tea table and chairs had some serious battle scars. Not sure if I should repair or rebuild. Hopefully the skill level has improved. I can't think of anything more satisfying than making thinks for the children and home Truely a labor of love. Your pix brought back some great memories. Thanks for sharing.
    I’m sure that with the craftsmanship and materials that went into your projects, this and other will be handed down to your grandchildren, and theirs'.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Nice work and great pictures it turned out very nice

WOW! Nice work there! I'm not worthy!!

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.