Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corrugations on jointer plane

Corrugations on jointer plane

This may be a silly question but ...
    I'm looking at jointer planes. Is it a problem to get a 7C (corrugated sole) jointer plane? I understand what they are supposed to do for a smoother but do they cause problems jointing -- like tipping? All my planes so far are smooth bottomed so I'm not quite able to visualize if this is an issue.

Thanks

the purpose as I understand it is to reduce the surface area in contact with the board, this in turn reduces friction between the plane sole and the board, this makes pushing the longer planes along a board a little easier than they would otherwise be.

My old Stanley No8 is corrugated and it works just fine for jointing. But, I haven't compared it directly with a non corrugated sole No8.

hope that helps

Mike

I have a 607c and a smooth-bottomed Bailey #7. I use them interchangeably and I can't tell any diffference in the performance, at least none associated with the corrugations. I've never had any edge-jointing issues with the corrugations and I use my 7s for that task primarily.

Hank

I don't like the corrugated
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

My TAILED jointer (planer combo MM machine) is "ribbed" or "corrugated" although I forget the fancy name they use for this kind of finish on a cast iron table (skip ground?). It most certainly does reduce friction and even gives small valleys for sawdust to go so it doesn't clog any pathways.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Corrugated planes are easier to flatten, other than that i see little to no difference.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer View Post
    I'm with that guy. Seems to me that corrugations aren't going to buy enough reduced friction to be worth the trouble and there are other issues like blade support and increased wear.

My jointer (a LN #7) is corregated and while I haven't had any problems with it causing any tilting when edge jointing, I probably would go smooth if I were to make the decision today.

Since I don't have a smooth sole #7 to compare it against, I can't say whether the corregations reduce friction, I doubt it makes a noticable difference. However, the corregations do make for kind of a pain when cleaning the plane. If you use wax on the sole, it will tend to build up in the corregations. This doesn't hurt anthing really, but it looks bad and bugs me.

I kind of worry about debris getting caught up in the corregations and causing rust. It hasn't happened, but then again, I take the time to clean the sole before I put it away... whereas with my smooth soled planes a quick wipe of the sole is all that's necessary.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    I'm with that guy. Seems to me that corrugations aren't going to buy enough reduced friction to be worth the trouble and there are other issues like blade support and increased wear.
    I doubt that concerns about blade support or wear are really justified. The area of the mouth is not corregated so the blade is supported the same as a smooth soled plane. As for wear, yes there's less material in contact with the work surface thereby theoretically increasing the amount of wear on that material, but in practice I seriously doubt you'd ever notice a difference over your lifetime, particularly with a plane with such a large surface as a jointer...
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

I dunno if it is a problem on such a small area as the sole of a handplane but on a large cast iron top, a perfectly smooth surface can make sheet material difficult to move sometimes.

If you've ever let a sheet of MDF fall on a large cast iron top (like a TS), you get that large rush of air that is being removed between the MDF and the top and surprisingly, the MDF kind of sticks to the top!

Think about an air-hockey table where the puck floats on air so the friction is much less.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Thanks for the responses -- keep em coming! I was looking at old Stanley 7s and trying to decide if corrugations were to be avoided. It sounds like it's not the most desirable thing but not a deal breaker either. I may wait until the Pomona show (1 week away) and also look at the LN and LV low angle jointers.

Some collectors prefer corrugated planes and they often bring a bit more at auction. Beyond that, I don't think they make any difference in use.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer View Post
    I third this comment.

The only corrugated sole plane I have had was a 604c.
    The bedrock is a slight improvement over my type 6, type 9 and Union #4 size planes, but I prefer the flat sole. The 604c was sold on eBay along with a WWII era #4.

Please take into account that this is just a bunch of pixels conveying my opinion and your preference will actually have to be decided by you.

For those sticky woods, a few swipes of bees wax on the sole make a plane glide.

jim

If you want to reduce friction, then a swipe of wax on the sole does the trick.

Go with the regular sole, and skip the gimmicks.

My point was that I don's see any difference in the preformance of a corrugated jointer plane and a smooth-soled one. I am not surggesting that the corrugated one has "less friction." If it does, I haven't noticed it. I just don't find that the corrugations get in the way of the plane's performance. I don't find that they help either. To me, corrugations are a non issue.

Hank