Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shop vacuum recommendations

Two of you have mentioned the Ridgid 12-gallon model, but I can't find anything that size - 6, 14, 16 gallon but no 12.

Anyone have a model number?
    --Steve--
    Support The Creek - click here

After using Shop-Vac and Fein in my shop and trying the large Festool, I prefer my big 18 gal Shop-Vac. It's among the noisiest, but nothing I've tried has the moxie of the big Shop-Vac. I also have a large Fein Turbo III fixed to my miter saw. The Fein is nice and quiet with respectable suction, but I wouldn't pay that much again. I have ear protectors hanging conveniently all around my shop and prefer to wear them than spend $750 to $1200 on a vacuum that I'd prefer to invest elsewhere.

The Shop-Vac also has the widest variety of filter/bag options -- inexpensive and available everywhere. I typically use 0.3 micron HEPA pleated canister filters combined with drywall bags.

Shop-Vacs are not world-class quality, but the only repairs I've had to make in almost fifteen years are replacing the plastic on/off rocker and a plastic peg that prevented the motor from rotating under startup torque.

The I-Socket is a nice addition for automatic turn-on and delayed off. This feature is built into the Fein and several other brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Cannon View Post
    I prefer my big 18 gal Shop-Vac.
    Do you mean this one? If so, wow, that's in the same price range as a Festool.
    --Steve--

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sawyer View Post
    Two of you have mentioned the Ridgid 12-gallon model, but I can't find anything that size - 6, 14, 16 gallon but no 12.

Anyone have a model number?
    MY mistake, it is a 14 Gal. The model is WD1450.

I'll correct my post above.
    Best Regards, Ken

I'm partial to Shop Vac, I had three (till one walked off a jobsite) in different sizes. Set up with a HEPA filter and the appropiate bag, they'll clean as well as anything. As Wayne mentioned, the bags are widely available. Good tech support too. All three vacs cost less than a Fein or Festool. They work well for me.

I've had the smaller (cheaper) Fein for several years and it's excellent. It's more than a Shop Vac with less capacity but it's a lot quieter.

I am in the process of putting my old Craftsman in a cabinetI have lined with styrofoam insulation which I had left over from a long ago basement remodeling project the foam is 3/4 and was in panels meant to go between furring strips, I am using a dust collection kit by shopvac which is on clearance for 39.95 on their website "]WWW.shopvac ,com[/comes with clear tubing, blast gate and assorted fittings,might want to check it out. The foam has effectivly cut the noise by at least 50percent. and I plan on using it like a central vac, and dust collection for brnchtop tools. I have a cyclone DC for the larger machines and a Fein Turbe 3 which I use with the ROS.

Very interesting.

Since the Ridgid models seem to be getting some good recommendations I went onto the HD website and compared three models.

What is amazing is that of the three models, the cheapest one - the 12-gallon WD1246 - had the best specs.

All three pulled 53 inches of static vacuum, but the CFM ratings look like this:

WD1850 - $150 - 203 CFM - 12 Amps
    WD1450 - $100 - 178 CFM - 11 Amps
    WD1246 - $70 - 289 CFM - 10 Amps
    --Steve--

Strange, makes you wonder how that could be possible. Typo?

Hello,
    Re: the Ridgid/ WD1246/1247
    Strange, makes you wonder how that could be possible. Typo?
    No, it's not a typo or "black magic". The 1246/47 (the 1247 designates the free filter model) runs flat out and flat out runs and moves a remarkable amount of air.
    It also has a fairly short lifespan/eats filters/depends on clean filters for all that air movement and suction.
    I have three of them - I cant pass up a bargain - I bought from HD on Black Friday over the last three years.
    1 is for dry use, 1 is for wet use and the third I bought simply because it came with a free filter. Filters are $15.00 ea. and the vac w/free filter was $29.00. I saved a buck.

Did I mention it does scream? Both in performance (w/clean filters) and in relative noise level. It also sucks down a lot of juice (no pun intended).
    Last spring when I redid the floors at a rental, I had to (try to) use the vac with a set of 500W halogen lights. As long as the filter was clean, I was OK. As soon as the filter clogged a little, you could hear the motor start to strain,,and WHAM! It would trip the breaker. I got to where I could hear by the pitch of the motor when it was getting close, shut it down and took the filter outside and shook it off.

Bottom line - is it a good $70.00 vac?
    No.
    Is it a great $29.00 vac?
    Absolutely!
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Rob Will Guest
    I have owned about 8 shop vacs. Looking back over the years, the ones that had the longest service life (and still going) were the commercial models with a metal tank. IMHO, the extra weight and larger wheels are a positive thing. The stainless steel model at Lowes is worth looking at.

Rob

Just to throw in my 2 cents, I recently purchased the Ridgid WD1450 and feel that this was well worth the price. The noise is very tolerable and it provides plenty of suction for my needs.
    I would have liked to had one of the top end models but I just could not justify the expense for a shop vac. I can use the difference in price to put toward updating my dust collector.

I'm about to try the WD1450, as I've read the noise reduction on that one should make it quiter than my 10 year old crapman screamer. I have having to wear hearing protection to vacuum out a car. Not to mention that I can't have the kids outside while I'm doing it unless they're wearing hearing protection too. Damn inconvenient. I keep forgetting to bring a db meter home from work to see just how loud that thing is, but I'd like to compare the two. Does anybody have a sound level rating for the 1450?
    DESIGN is EVERYTHING! Without good design, the greatest craftsmanship is wasted. Not all great museum pieces are of the best craftsmanship. It was design that made them a treasure. -- Wallace Kunkel, aka Mr. Sawdust

I can't tell you in decibels, but the WD1450 can be used without ear protection, I can hear the phone ring when I am using it and can even carry on a conversation. My old vac was an early Ridgid that was so loud I could not hear a router when the vac was running.

I bought the 12 gallon Porter Cable recently to replace a very old Sears model. It's a big improvement over the old Sears: Much quieter, has an outlet for a tool and auto-start, long cord and hose. Only negative is that it uses a nonstandard tools, so you have to buy Porter Cable attachments.