Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gag Bowl out of Red Oak?

Gag Bowl out of Red Oak?

Hi Fellas,

I'm just curious if anyone has turned a bowl out of Red Oak end grain as a gag? It would leak like a sieve, I bet. (which is why they use White Oak for barrels)

it probably wouldnt leak, you would have to get it very thin, like less than 1/8 they use white oak because thats what some one in france decided makes the wine taste better
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

I have turned several red oak bowls and the turn out nice. Most turners don't like it cause the open pores and it tears out easy.

Bob

Curtis,

White Oak cells are closed, and Red Oak cells are open. One reason for using White Oak for barrels is because of it's closed cell structure. If you cut Red Oak along the grain you could just about use it as a straw.

Bird's Mouth Bowl- Red Oak

Here is a bowl I made yesterday out of what I believe to be a log of red oak found on the edge of my yard. It is very green and wet, and I'm sure will move a lot, among other things, but was fun to make. It's not end-grain, but thought I'd post anyway. I've been turning for about a month, so am new to this but very much enjoy it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've turned a few reds myself. I like the bark for NEs but have to say I don't care for the smell or what the shavings can do to the bed of your lathe if you dont keep them brushed off. the Gag would be turn it green and unfinished and just give it to them. they will hate you when they walk into a house and wonder who forgot to let the cat out.........

Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    it probably wouldnt leak, you would have to get it very thin, like less than 1/8 they use white oak because thats what some one in france decided makes the wine taste better
    Sorry, Curtis, but red oak features very long continuous pores/tubes and it would most certainly pass liquid if not completely sealed with some kind of finish. This would hold true even for something that is very, very thick. This is exactly the reason that one does not use red oak outside, for example...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

little competition

i'll turn a peice of red oak and we'll see just how much of a straw it is,..
    better yet, a little competition, who can make a strainer or straw that works with out having anything drilled or cut, thickness cant be less than 3/16in. i know it has an open grain but i dont think its that open

Here's a little experiment to prove how porous red oak is. Take a lenth of red oak about 2" x 2" x 12" (the actual dimensions are NOT critical). Place one end in a glass of water. With the end in the water, blow on the opposite end. You'll see bubbles coming out of the submerged end.

I originally saw this on an episode of "The Woodwright's Shop".

i tried it and it didnt work,

point is, though, it will, if filled with wine, or other liquid, seep out just like a clay flowerpot does. I seem to remember reading something about open vs. closed tyloses in the pore structure. I guess they're little valves. I really can't remember. I'll see if I can't find that book at home tomorrow.... Also, I'm under the distinct impression that even if using white oak, it must be quartersawn, but that's just my memory. Its wrong on a regular basis.

Curtis,

I'm taking up your challenge to prove it.

I just went out in the shop and cut a piece of 3/4 x 3/4 kiln dried Red Oak about 14 inches long and sprayed two heavy coats of sealer on it. Next I'll spray a couple coats of laquer and let that dry. I'll then cut off the ends cleanly, and we'll see how much air passes through it. It seemed pretty porous before I put the finish on it. I blew on it and it passed air pretty easily. Give it an hour or two and I'll get back to you on this. Let's see if our book reading matches up to actual experience.

I don't doubt that even a 1/2 in thick END GRAIN Red Oak bowl would leak quite readily though. Especially if you didn't seal it at all, and it was quite dry.
    Last edited by Jim Underwood; 04-29-2008 at 10:59 AM.

Amazing. I thought it would do it, but wasn't sure.

This very straight grained piece of Red oak is roughly 3/4 x 3/4 x 17.

It's sealed with 2 coats sealer and 2 coats laquer and cut off cleanly on the ends.

It takes a little effort but you can blow through it enough to make a lot of bubbles. I should make a small movie...

At the risk of being called a bag of hot air here are the pix:
    Attached Images Attached Images

And just for grins here's a video of the Red Oak straw in a jug of water:

http://www.youtube.com/v/qvSj11vwg58

Jeremy!

Any of the many open pored hardwoods including white oak will seep. But if you seal them with finish, then the pathwaay is cut off at the end. Glad all you guys had a good time knockin this one around.
    Bob