Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Business Control

Post Business Control

Hello everyone,

I know most of you work on your own machines. Unfortunately I'm just starting and can't get off my current day job until I get some revenues from the laser business. Right now, I have an employee in charge but I was really concerned that the laser doesn't offer a counter or something to know the amount of work done. My concern is that my employee can do some laser jobs without "reporting" them. Especially jobs where the client takes the material to the shop (ipods, cellphones, etc). Have someone has a sort of way of controlling this? I know a POS and a "if you don't receive your ticket, the job will be free" won't make it work always...

Jorge Alanis

Webcam?

If there is a 'hours counter' on mine, I haven't found it. Your mileage may vary. What model do you have?

Do you have some reason to suspect your employee of theft?
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Jorge, I just bought an hour meter which keeps track of the time you are running your laser. I have not hooked it up yet, but it's a simple small device you put in line between the on/off switch and the power. I was told you can get minute meters too, but I'm more concerned with knowing when to do maintenance and keeping track of hours I've run up. This one goes up to 9999 hours, but you can get bigger ones. If I burn that many hours on my laser, I'll be surprised! It cost me $40 with shipping and tax.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    Jorge, I just bought an hour meter which keeps track of the time you are running your laser. I have not hooked it up yet, but it's a simple small device you put in line between the on/off switch and the power. I was told you can get minute meters too, but I'm more concerned with knowing when to do maintenance and keeping track of hours I've run up. This one goes up to 9999 hours, but you can get bigger ones. If I burn that many hours on my laser, I'll be surprised! It cost me $40 with shipping and tax.

cheers, dee
    Sounds like that only keeps track of the time the laser power is on, not the actual fire time. I'm not sure that would be enough, if like here, the power is on most of the day whether something is running or not.

Jorge, You have good reason to be cautious. I had an employee who started her own business on the side using my equipment after hours.

The police and I decided not to press charges since it was impossible to determine the actual amount of the theft, so the D.A. would have been unable to get a conviction. It is unlawful for them to use your equipment
    without permission and if that equipment has a "life" as in laser tube, is
    could exceed the limit for petty theft and move up to grand theft.

At the very least, give two copies of the local/state laws to the employee,
    along with a statement that you will prosecute if violated, and have them sign that they read and understand it. You might be best off installing a webcam on the machine that you can monitor from elsewhere or review later.

I'm still sort of bitter about this after 3 years if you can't tell.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Incidentally, if you look around the spy shops online, you can get webcams built into all sorts of innocuous things, like clocks etc; so the lack of trust won't be obvious.

My machine software lists every job and the time it took to run. All are numbered and I can go back to day one. It also lists the job by file name. In the case of an employee using the machine without permission they probably wouldn't use a job name in which case it would show as "graphic".
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Uls

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Null View Post
    Webcam?

If there is a 'hours counter' on mine, I haven't found it. Your mileage may vary. What model do you have?
    I have a ULS 4.6, its funny because it has a minute counter and a job estimator on the print driver, but it only is informative in the moment of the job, it doesnt logs it. Maybe a "wish list" item for the folks at ULS...

I'll consider the concealed webcam... I also don't want my employees to be too pressured as I can watch every action they make.
    Last edited by Jorge Alanis; 04-28-2008 at 5:35 PM.

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    Do you have some reason to suspect your employee of theft?
    Sadly, I had several cases before in my other business (a mini-mini-office depot), where they would report less color copies and even when the machines had counters, they argued that there were "printing errors" and they had to do them again or such. I wish people here in Mexico would be more respectful and honest. Here is like the old west. You have to take out the gun first (figuratively).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    My machine software lists every job and the time it took to run. All are numbered and I can go back to day one. It also lists the job by file name. In the case of an employee using the machine without permission they probably wouldn't use a job name in which case it would show as "graphic".
    What machine do you have ? The ULS has a job history, but its useless as you can delete them selectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post

cheers, dee
    Thanks a lot, it could be an option, not very exact, but an option anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    Sounds like that only keeps track of the time the laser power is on, not the actual fire time. I'm not sure that would be enough, if like here, the power is on most of the day whether something is running or not.

Jorge, You have good reason to be cautious. I had an employee who started her own business on the side using my equipment after hours.

The police and I decided not to press charges since it was impossible to determine the actual amount of the theft, so the D.A. would have been unable to get a conviction. It is unlawful for them to use your equipment
    without permission and if that equipment has a "life" as in laser tube, is
    could exceed the limit for petty theft and move up to grand theft.

At the very least, give two copies of the local/state laws to the employee,
    along with a statement that you will prosecute if violated, and have them sign that they read and understand it. You might be best off installing a webcam on the machine that you can monitor from elsewhere or review later.

I'm still sort of bitter about this after 3 years if you can't tell.
    Joe I'm very sorry to hear that, I've been through this and its really awful when someone that has your trust is doing stuff like this. This is why I'm trying to devise methods to reduce all kinds of temptation over this...I only have 3 days with my machine, but I think its really important to have everything under control. I'm going to do some research on the "cyber-cafe" software that controls printing. As the ULS (and I think most machines) are shown as printers, maybe these programs can function in some way. I'll keep you informed.

I'm against the spy camera or webcam. That's a horrible way to start a relationship with an employee. You need to build a trust relationship with that person and part of that is you being crystal clear on your expectations. If you're clear, and treat them well, you should be in decent shape. I'd also tell them they can use the laser for personal things, but only with permission and explain that if you caught them using it for personal gain without your permission, it would certainly be cause for termination.

If I got a new job some place and found out they had a spy cam on me all the time, I'd quit.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

There's a number of employee spy software that tracks everything done on a computer, including keystrokes and print jobs. If you google for them, you should find several that offer free trials.
    ULS M-360 35W, Corel X3

Keystroke logger would do the trick. Simple and effective.