Thread: My first cabinets

My first cabinets

Here is my first attempt at making cabinets. I have two of these and I am getting ready to start 2 more cabinets to complete what I need for the garage. These are going to be part of a 13 foot L shape workbench in my garage. It will be 2 of these 4 drawer units, 1 unit will have a single drawer at the bottom and a space for my fridge at the top. It will be about 21 inches wide. The last one will be about 12 inches wide and will house my computer and have a couple of drawers under the computer.

It will make a little more sense when I get them made. These 2 are made from pine. I was using pine because these are for practice. I think I will make the other 2 from ash. I haven't decided yet. I just want to make sure I can get the finish close to the same. The cabinet box is made from pre-finished cabinet plywood that I get from a close-out cabinet place for $10 per sheet. I spent $70 and got 5 sheets of 5/8" and 2 sheets of 1/4". I didn't think I could really go wrong.

More to come,

Tony
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice Tony. What sort of joinery did you use for the frame and carcass?

Everything is put together with pocket holes. I love my Kreg jig.

Perfect tool for your project Tony...and I can't wait to see the entire picture of the garage!
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Looks good. Can't wait to see how it all comes together. I'd love to come across a deal like that for cabinet grade plywood, pre-finished or not.

Frank

Very nice Tony.. The pine should be fine for the shop unless your expecting "royalty" over and it's cheaper. Save the better stuff for inside..

Sarge..

Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    Very nice Tony.. The pine should be fine for the shop unless your expecting "royalty" over and it's cheaper. Save the better stuff for inside..

Sarge..
    What I find is the hickory I purchased actually comes out cheaper than the pine I was getting from Menards or Lowes. Also, a guy I work with has a lumber mill and the ash he is selling is cheaper. I have some options so that is why I will probably use something other than pine for the rest of the cabinets I am making.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Frank McKinney View Post
    Looks good. Can't wait to see how it all comes together. I'd love to come across a deal like that for cabinet grade plywood, pre-finished or not.

Frank

I got the second cabinet assembled last night. I didn't have the camera in the garage and it was late, so no pic yet. It looks just like the one above anyway. I am waiting on the drawer pulls from Rockler. They should be here today or tomorrow. Now I can get started on the other 2 I need. I can't wait to get these done and start installing them. Some upper cabinets will be next so I can replace the wire shelving that I had installed. I thought I would like that stuff, but I really hate it. I think the cabinet option will look awesome.

The plywood is stuff that is damaged or in some way unusable by the cabinet manufacturer. I found that I can find the decent sheets and I don't have any of the damaged area in my cabinet. I just plan my cuts around the damage. Which, by the way, is usually on the edges so that makes it easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cox View Post
    What I find is the hickory I purchased actually comes out cheaper than the pine I was getting from Menards or Lowes. Also, a guy I work with has a lumber mill and the ash he is selling is cheaper. I have some options so that is why I will probably use something other than pine for the rest of the cabinets I am making.

Tony
    I suppose I wasn't thinking, Tony. I have been using the same hard-wood source since 1974 and the thought of purchasing wood from Lowe's or Meanards never crossed my mind. From what I have seen.. you probably could have done the cabinets in mahogany cheaper than buying pine from Lowe's..

Sarge..

Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    I suppose I wasn't thinking, Tony. I have been using the same hard-wood source since 1974 and the thought of purchasing wood from Lowe's or Meanards never crossed my mind. From what I have seen.. you probably could have done the cabinets in mahogany cheaper than buying pine from Lowe's..

Sarge..
    You are completely right about the mahogany. The walnut I bought from Frank Miller Lumber a couple weeks ago comes out cheaper than the pine I bought from Menard's. I had never worked with rough sawn lumber until now and I think I am going to love it. I just purchased a Ridgid R4330 planer on Tuesday. (See thread here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=83277)
    I am getting a jointer from someone I work with and will probably pick that up next week sometime.

Tony