Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safety switch for Table Saw

Safety switch for Table Saw

Anyone know of a source for one of the safety switches with the big shut off paddle? I've checked several sites and can't find one. I've seen them on saws in various pictures on this site. I have an older Delta 10" Contractor saw with the small toggle switch currently. It's a PIA to turn on and off and potentially an accident waiting to happen because I have to look down and under the fence to find it. Any help would be appreciated.

Grizzly has a large selection of them.

Or Rocker--they call it a router table switch. The nice thing is that there's comes in a box.

Some Creekers have made their own: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...d=5960&t=80283.

I've seen another here that I really liked, but can't seem to find the post at the moment. If anyone else has made their own, please post inspirational pics.

Man I'm annoyed that I can't find that other link. But in searching I found that the first result from Google when you search for "shut off paddle" provides some good examples of shop-built solutions.

safety switches

You might want to check Busy Bee's website, they have had one on sale
    for around $18.00 or so in the recent past....check them out. Jim Heffner

Thanks guys, I checked out several of the sites and decided I liked the one from Griz the best. It is rated for up to a 2 hp motor so it will handle my 1-1/2 hp motor fine.

Delta makes a paddle switch for your delta saw. I have a 34-444 and replaced it soon after I got it with the newer switch. I'm thinking it was 44.00 for the hole new setup. switch and wiring just bolt on and plug in. (After removing old switch)
    Happy Sawdust
    Dale

aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

My favorite is the ReiTech "Easy Off" power switch. It's a bit pricier than the others, but it's BIG, very easy to hit (or hard to miss), and includes all the hardware for a wide variety of mounting arrangements. It's available either as a simple switch (e.g., for a router table), for a magnetic switch (e.g., for a table saw or jointer), and more.
    http://www.safetyonline.com/Content/ProductShowcase/product.asp?DocID={11562817-F3BE-11D4-A770-00D0B7694F32}

Here's a smaller and less expensive design from Woodworker's Supply:
    http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...witch%20Safety

I installed an Off switch similar to the Easy Off on my Jet Contractors saw. I found the placement of it critical. The "on" switch is located at the top of the unit. One time when I went to adjust the height of the blade while the saw was off, I reached down to turn the hand wheel which was directly above the "OFF/On" unit. I was looking at the saw blade and the wood I was going the cut. I reached down to turn the wheel and inadvertently hit the "on" button turning the saw on. I moved the unit further to the side and away from the adjusting wheel. Dick B.
    Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC -->
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

My delta contractor's saw came with a decent on/off switch, but it always seemed to be under the fence. I simply moved it to the left side of the saw table. It was a little hard to get used to since I'm right handed, but I don't even have to look at it now to hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Hauser View Post
    My delta contractor's saw came with a decent on/off switch, but it always seemed to be under the fence. I simply moved it to the left side of the saw table. It was a little hard to get used to since I'm right handed, but I don't even have to look at it now to hit it.
    My Delta has the old original small toggle switch mounted just left of the height adjustment wheel. Hard to find when turning on and even harder when you are cutting a board and trying to keep it from dropping off the back side after the cut (I know, I need an outfeed table, that is the next project).
    The wires to the switch currently run from the motor to the switch through the saw base. I'm going to re-route the wiring to the outside of the saw case to aid in sawdust removal with my DC. I plan to hang the new switch from the underside of the Bessy rail on the left hand side where it will be in easy reach.

Tag on to Safety Switch

I own an older Powermatic 66 with a 5HP motor. Does anyone know of a safety switch for my saw? All of the links show switches rated for 3HP saws.

Don, something like this would probably work for you.
    http://www.factorymation.com/s.nl/it...category=14559