Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bench Update

Thanks Doug. Three replies to one question! Very helpful replies - issues I hadn't considered as I was thinking about mounting the vise slightly further in (to the right) than yours to avoid a leg, retaining a short piece of bench top at its original depth to the left of the vise. That might not be such a good idea, or even possible, to allow the hinge pin to slide in without making an excessive width notch. Food for thought. Maybe adding a 2 17/32" skirt to the front of the existing solid skirtless top would be an easier solution. Bench restoration is scheduled to start next Monday!

Mark

Yeah Monte - Sam's original thread had a good description of why & how he came up with this. I can confirm though that it's way harder than face grain ply.
    Use the fence Luke

Interesting... I'm just finishing up my first 'woodworking' bench - Norm's NYW bench and I'm already looking for something else I've been looking at some sort of laminated top, but I didn't want to spend the $$$ on hard maple for a bench top, and have some concerns about the 'hardness' of a top made from fir or pine, even laminated strips there off. I'll have to experiment a bit - I've got a work-cart project coming up that would probably work just fine for a 'test bed'...

One other question... though this might be more for Sam, since he's had his for a few years and presumably put some miles on it in that time - hope he's reading

How does it hold up w/ regards to dog holes and such... no problems w/ holes getting 'loose' or oblonged from use/abuse?

Thanks,

Monte
    Last edited by Monte Milanuk; 05-02-2008 at 4:38 PM.

Oh darn! I never thought about recessing the vise and bringing the apron behind it like that....

Back to the CAD program - time to make more design changes.

That bench is fantastic. I'd be afraid to scratch or ding it up.
    Gary

Wow, Doug that is one sweet looking workbench. Use it well.
    Lori K

7. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Jameel, my Noden bench is rock solid. If you saw one wobbling, I have to imagine it was not set up properly, such as having the stretchers properly adjusted.
    Musta been it! Thanks Jim

Well here's an unexpected development

I've been cleaning up the GaShop most of the day. Some of you may recall that the Noden Legs were what was enabling me to even fit a workbench in my limited space. The plan is to raise the bench to max height when it's not in use and existing stuff slid under the bench. Well I start trying to raise the bench way up and it wont go past a certain point. This is with the casters engaged. It ends up just trying to pivot/rotate up on the casters on the opposite side from where you're lifting once you get it so high. So after puzzling for a while I crank the casters up so that all the weight is on the leg panels. Voila - no problem getting the bench to adjust to various heights. Not sure what's causing this and it's not a huge deal. I'll just have to raise it up first after use, then engage the casters to slide into it's spot. But it sure is puzzling.
    Use the fence Luke

The last 1% is done

Finally got my small punchlist of things completed from when I first posted.

-Finish touchup in a couple spots - Done
    -Easing the dog hole edges - Used a 1/8" roundover bit from SMC advice. I was originally thinking of a champfer bit and I'm glad I went with the roundover - it worked great
    -Drilling dog holes in the Twinscrew jaw - Done
    -A tiny bit more shimming underneath for the UHMW rub strips.
    Got that all tweaked and the twinscrew turns very smooth now out until the final 3-4" of extension when it wants to sag more and gets a bit stiffer to crank. I think over time once the screws have cut a bit deeper into the UHMW rub strips it's going to be good for the full length.

I had also been planning on a full width bench stop and threw this one together from leftover purpleheart, oak dowel, and some scrap ebony to wedge the dowel. It's 3/8" x 1-3/4" and hangs over the bench edges about 1/2" so there's something to grip and work it up out of the dog holes.
    BenchStop01.jpgBenchStop02.jpg

Also decided to put a couple of these in the front edge as well.
    BenchStop04.jpgBenchStop03.jpg

Seems a bit absurd that the first real project that's going to come off this is a dog house, but it was also meant as an assembly table as well, so....
    Use the fence Luke