Thread: First Bowl PICS & ????

Talking First Bowl PICS & ????

Well, here it is! The first one. Cherry, from the firewood pile. I had no idea when I last bought firewood that it was going to be cherry. I almost couldn't burn it, but it was already split, soooo..... until now! (Remember, that those of us in the city have to BUY firewood from the guy who knocks on the door). I was able to salvage a few larger pieces to cut into blanks.
    Finished size is 4" at the tip, and 1 1/2" at the base. Finish is BLO.

This endeavor has generated lots of questions.

1. How many RPM's do you use for sanding? I did about 500, because it "felt right", but is there an optimum speed?

2. Is it better to use a device to hold the sandpaper? Does a sanding disk on a drill work better? and I assume the drill is also spinning?

3. Do buffing wheels mount on the lathe, and if so, how? or do you use a handheld drill with the bowl still on the lathe?

And Last (thanks for your patience) I need advice on a chuck. These were done using a faceplate! I have a NOVA DVR 3000. I really don't know what the ultimate capacity is, and I want to get something I can grow into. Is the Stronghold more than I will ever use with this lathe? Has anyone used the Titan, which looks about equivalent? I just acquired some stock and will be attempting a shallow 10-12 inch bowl.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry about the size of the pics. I'll eventually get that figured out.

Nice bowl for something pitted for the fireplace! For pic sizes, I find a width of no more than 700 pixels to be just right. The second pic above is just a hair too wide but it isn't bothersome at all.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stutz
    1. How many RPM's do you use for sanding? I did about 500, because it "felt right", but is there an optimum speed?
    Slower is better...you don't want to heat things up too much. I probably sand with the lathe at about 200 rpm max. Sometimes it helps to reverse the lathe for this process, but be wary that you don't un-screw a chuck or faceplate in the process. You don't want heat on the paper, especially for hook and loop.
    2. Is it better to use a device to hold the sandpaper? Does a sanding disk on a drill work better? and I assume the drill is also spinning?
    I prefer power sanding and have an angle drill dedicated to the purpose. Yes, that drill spins during the process, but again, not to quickly. Be sure to clean the workpiece with compressed air or mineral spirits on a soft rag before progressing to the next grit.
    3. Do buffing wheels mount on the lathe, and if so, how?
    The Beall buffing system can mount to most lathes using a #2 MT and a draw bolt. But your DVR, I believe, does not have a hole drilled through the spindle. I'm not sure what your options are there...it may require you to use a separate motor for buffing. (1725 rpm is what they recommend for that)
    And Last (thanks for your patience) I need advice on a chuck. These were done using a faceplate! I have a NOVA DVR 3000. I really don't know what the ultimate capacity is, and I want to get something I can grow into. Is the Stronghold more than I will ever use with this lathe? Has anyone used the Titan, which looks about equivalent? I just acquired some stock and will be attempting a shallow 10-12 inch bowl.
    The Stronghold is an excellent chuck and can hold anything you could possibly put on your particular lathe and more. I'm not familiar with the Titan--don't know if it can take smaller jaws which you really want to be able to do. Most of your work will likely not be in the "gonzo size" catagory. The StrongHold has a wide variety of jaw options available...about the best in the business. BTW, buying it direct from OneWay is generally very price competitive and there is no shipping charge for it.

BTW, very nice bowl! Sure wish my first effort was that good...
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-02-2004 at 8:54 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mark,
    I too have a DVR 3000 - nice going. I have had it doing some extremely challenging turnings. It has worked flawlessly for me for years - a great machine.

As mentioned above the bowl is mounted and spinning on the lathe while you power sand with the drill in hand. I would also add that you set your lathe to 1/2 the speed of the rpm of your drill while you are power sanding. I usually use a milwaukee drill that works at 850 and therefore hold that lower button 'till the DVR is at 420. It's WAY better than hand sanding.

Also nice going on that bowl - does not look like a first effort at all - beautiful. I love to find gems in the firewood pile. -Steve

Jim amd Steve,

Thanks very much for the info about sanding. I'm definitely going to try the power sanding!

Mark