Thread: variable speed router controller? I need some ideas here- PC 7518/MV12V

Question variable speed router controller? I need some ideas here- PC 7518/MV12V

does anyone know of a variable speed controller that I can use with the Porter cable 7518 3-1/4hp 15 amp. I tried MLCS variable speed controller ~ not good, i didn't like the inconsistency in it. and yes,I have already removed the soft start controller( they wont work with soft start circuitry) and want to have the controls for both 7518' and the MV12V both 15 amp and Both 3- 1/4hp. Has anyone used a heavy duty 20 amp variable speed fan control. I talked with an electrical distributor - he didn't have one but they do sell them and he said that it will work with no problem ~ just have to find the write one . I know that there are VC's out there but I am a little weary of them ~ does anyone have the rockler model 20 amp up to 3hp , sells for $49.95 - I Just want to move the controls and the meter (0-25,000rpm) on the front panel of my fence on the table saw. any suggestions

thanks
    Brian
    Last edited by Brian Weick; 05-01-2008 at 8:59 PM.

The PC7518 is already variable speed and soft start. You cannot use any kind of external speed control with it, particularly due to the soft start circuitry.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The electronic controls on variable speed routers regulate the speed with a closed loop feedback system. That allows the electronics to throttle the power to maintain the same speed under varying loads. No external controller will be able to do that because there is no way for such a controller to sense rpms of the motor. At best, you will simply have what amounts to a power reducer connected to the router. Your motor will bog down under heavy load and go too fast with a light load. I don't want a router motor that operates like that.

Yes,

i am aware of the outside controlers not working with soft start router, thanks Jim,mine has expired. I think I am going to order a new soft start modual and forget this idea.
    Brian

My M12V has a speed controller built in. And it is a lot better than the plug in types. The router has full power at the lower speed.

Question Slow start Modual, mounted outside the router.

Don't they make a controller that you can use to mount right up front. I remember seeing a article on this few months back and I can't find it. I know there has got to be some device, that is compatible with soft start and full power at all range speeds. Any information would be appreciated.
    Brian

No info on the PC 7518 but

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Weick View Post
    Don't they make a controller that you can use to mount right up front. I remember seeing a article on this few months back and I can't find it. I know there has got to be some device, that is compatible with soft start and full power at all range speeds. Any information would be appreciated.
    Brian
    I had my Freud FT2000E apart to replace the larger bearing. The variable speed device on it is just a solid block approximately 2"X 1 1/2" X 5/16" with three wires attached and a speed selecting wheel . I suspect one could remotely mount this device and extend the leads--they use spades. There is a tachometer mechanism integral to maintain the speed under load which I doubt the external speed controls have.

HTH

Curt

I don't think a fan speed control will work. Fans usually have induction motors, and routers have universal motors. Completely different methods of turning the rotor and one speed control will not work in the other.

I guess if it is a speed control for a universal motor fan, it might work, but I've never heard of such a thing.

Post Curt, and to those that want reliable variable speed control.

As per your Idea ~ good one by the way ~ I did that but with the module in the 7518 it is a slider which is hard to fabricate something that is acceptable to me ~ I wanted a professional look and operation to my design. I did just what you mentioned , but I was not happy with the setup and operation of the fabricated module.
    Problem solved: I first tried MLCS router controller ~ very poor electronics in the unit, it gyrated in low speeds on both PC 7518 and the MV12V ~ so they both went back. Today I went to Rockler after work and bought the Rockler expensive VS controller(compared to the $28.00 MLCS VS controller) 20 amp variable speed controller , but it actually states write on the front that it will handle up to 26 amps. Got her in the shop plugged both the 7518 and the Mv12V ,(separately of coarse)and they both performed with a smooth flawless operation on the dial from 0 ~ 22,000 rpms and it did maintain the torque which was surprising! I have to say that ,Hands down, The Rockler VSC is the Cadillac of VSC'S ~ I AM VERY,VERY HAPPY WITH IT!
    Brian
    Last edited by Brian Weick; 05-02-2008 at 2:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Weick View Post
    Today I went to Rockler after work and bought the Rockler expensive VS controller(compared to the $28.00 MLCS VS controller) 20 amp variable speed controller , but it actually states write on the front that it will handle up to 26 amps. Got her in the shop plugged both the 7518 and the Mv12V ,(separately of coarse)and they both performed with a smooth flawless operation on the dial from 0 ~ 22,000 rpms and it did maintain the torque which was surprising! I have to say that ,Hands down, The Rockler VSC is the Cadillac of VSC'S ~ I AM VERY,VERY HAPPY WITH IT!
    Brian
    Hi Brian

That's good to know. Router VS don't seem to be the most reliable things ever manufactured.

I'll say they aren't too reliable. I had the speed control replaced in my PC 7518 yesterday. It lasted all of two hours. Back to the repair shop, what a waste of time.
    Mark R

Thumbs up Mark ~ Pictures

Mark,
    Just a suggestion ~ rip out the soft start and connect the power leads to the two terminals in the housing ,buy the Rockler VSC , plug it in and you will be elated with the performance and quality.
    I designed this control platform yesterday- using a 3 way switch to control either the 7518 or the MV12v - both use the VSC and the RPM meter~ I can regulate from 6,000 ~ 22,000 rpms its' "Sweet"!
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian Weick; 05-03-2008 at 8:58 AM.

Brian - That looks great and just what I need. I will have to check out the Rockler router controller. I have a PC 7518 SINGLE Speed production router that I had tried to sell here on the 'creek earlier - but no takers. Now I think that I can do what you did and have a second 3.25 HP router to mount in a table.

Can you share some more details on the wiring setup and what the gauges are?

TIA

- Rob
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

Post Rob

If you are mounting 2 7518's or what have you, first of all, in case your not aware- if you have a soft start module in one of the routers ~ remove that~ very important,now combine the neutral wires (3' length on both coming from the routers- just as a plug) , and the plug cut end (that will go into the VSC) from the cut wire (desired length) you will have 3 neutral wires total (the white lead) 1 from each router and the cut plug end ~ I soldered them and then put a wire nut on, get yourself a 20amp 3 way switch , now from the "cut plug end which will be plugged into the VSC mount the "hot" (black lead) onto the black terminal of the 3 way switch , then mount the black lead from one router to one brass terminal and the other "hot" black lead to the other brass terminal- the black screw on the 3 way is the "hot in" and the brass leads are the "hot out" to either router depending on which way the switch is positioned. create a housing then implement the components in. As far as the RPM meter, I had that special ordered - was around $75.00 around 5 years ago. Look in the web for electric meter manufacturers - I don't remember where I got it from to be honest- I'll look in my file cabinet- I always keep records & receipts. If you do get the meter make sure you connect this to the end of the terminals on the cut plug first ~ then jump off of that to continue the wiring "it has to be connected before the switch- not after. If your doing just one router~ you won't need the three way and you won't have to be concerned about where on line you hook the meter up. I have the 2 routers so I can do rail and styles for cabinet face doors without having to change bits then reposition for alignment- works out very well! - Hope this helps.
    Brian
    Last edited by Brian Weick; 05-03-2008 at 10:39 AM.

Exclamation Speed controller ~ update on the steady speed

After using the Rockler VSC , It is a great piece of electronic technology , but I did want to inform those that are thinking of getting this model that it does drag a little and is not at a constant speed, at least when using large bits. It does do a tremendous job and I am very pleased with it's performance and function but as I said before, after working with the larger bits, there is a slight drag in the rpm when removing a large amount of stock , so I raise the speed just slightly (1,000-rpm's)and that solves the problem on the rpm drag. Just some FYI
    Brian