Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: A Most Tragic Day for The Creek and All Who Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    Here's to you Ken!!!!

One for the road buddy!!!!

Attachment 87705
    Dennis, I am enjoying an Ice Cold Bud Light, right now.... and thinking about Ken's previous comments here at smc.

joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Very sad news.

Most call me a health food nut - vegetarian and organic only, never any alcohol. However, I think I'll go down a cold one in honor of Ken. I don't think I would have gotten so involved with the Creek if it hadn't been for the Ole' Rebel Rascal. He'll be missed.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of Ken. I never had the pleasure of meeting Ken but felt that I knew him through the closeness of the Creek. He will be surely missed.

Toss one back for the Ole Rebel. Godspeed Ken, and keep the lathe spinning.

Bobby McCarley
    Louisiana

This BL is in your honor and in memory of you Ken! Be at peace.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

My sincerest condolences to Kens family and friends. May God comfort you in this time of mourning and pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather Thompson View Post
    I am new to this site, but I would like to suggest that the members of the Creek show their respect to a wonderful man by possibly making a contribution to show their admiration to a wonderful human being. I do no not know if he had a favorite charity, maybe a donation to a cancer organization. He gave so much to this community that I think WE should show our respect in his passing, flowers only last for a few days.

Heather
    Heather,

An excellent idea!

May I make a suggestion that I think would please Ken more than anything we could do. I suggest that we take up a collection and send the fund to a school that is active in the Freedom Pens project. The shop teacher could use the funds to purchase more mini lathes, pen kits and supplies that are needed to keep his students active in the program. All donations would be a tax write-off as the Freedom Pens project is a 501C Tax Exempt Organization.

Freedom Pens was one of Ken's favorite projects, he really loved supporting our Troops and put his heart and soul into making it a success. The flip side of this effort would be our Service Members benefiting from receiving pens from American Students, nothing could be more precious to them.

Comments?

Possibly some of our turners who haven't made any pens in a long time might be willing to donate a few pens to the Freedom Pens Project in Ken's name. Ken was a Korean War Combat Veteran and retired Army officer who was very proud of his service to this country.

Last edited by Keith Outten; 05-04-2008 at 7:47 AM.

A great man who will be missed by many...

this buds for you SIR!!!

Rest in Peace Ken. I got to know Ken while the Freedom Pen Project was just getting off the ground. Ken’s passion and support for the project was genuine and his efforts were a key in the projects success. Keith, I think that would be a great way to honor his memory. The world would be a better place if we had more people like Ken, he will be missed.

Dave

Certainly I want to add my sympathies as well! SMC and many, many others are sadded by Ken's passing!
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

So sad to hear this!

When I read this thread a chill went through me and I said "Ahhhhh....NO! Not Ken!".

I knew Ken from the old Badger Pond days and actually had the pleasure of meeting him at during one of Bill G's BBQs. I found him to be one of the NICEST and most generous people you could ever come across. We spent a good portion of that day swapping stories and generally chewing the fat. I remember that he brought a load of figured walnut with him to that BBQ and he saved a nice BIG hunk just for me.

Afterwards we kept in touch via email. I remember him sending me a very cool congratulations card when my wife and I adopted our daughter. He was also very supportive to me after my father passed away (as only a friend could be).

And I could always expect a email on my birthday from that old rascal! Usually with some kind of humor that could only be referred to as "adult oriented"! He made me laugh so much with his antics! I think I'll miss that about him the most.

He had a wealth of wisdom (not just about wood working) and a very ready wit. He will be sorely missed.

Dominic
    Dominic Greco

This is indeed sad news. I had the pleasure of meeting Ken a few years ago at a Freedom Pens Turn-A-Thon at the Rockler store here in Atlanta. Ken was kind (and patient) enough to teach me how to turn pens, which led to lots of quality time with my stepson as I taught him.

Thanks, Ken...and Godspeed.
    Sam/Atlanta

From the Huntsville Times
    Sept. 11, 1932 - April 30, 2008
    Kenneth L. Salisbury, 75, of Huntsville died Wednesday at his residence. He is survived by his sons, Michael K. Salisbury and John K. Salisbury; daughter, Cindy D. Mullins; grandchildren, Sarah, Emily, Jacob, and Jessica Salisbury, and Jon Michael and Clay Mullins. Arrangements are being handled by Spry Funeral Home of Huntsville, where the family will receive friends from 7 to 9 p.m. today. Funeral services will be at 2:30 p.m. Sunday from the funeral home with the Rev. Steve Wood officiating. Interment will be in Valley View Memorial Gardens. In lieu of flowers, please make a donation to the MCHS Football Fund, 174 Brock Road, Gurley, AL 35748, in memory of Coach Ken Salisbury.
    I haven't posted here for quite a while, but I wanted to add my condolences for Ken.
    Doug
    Remember, wherever you go, I've probably already been there.

Blog Entries
    Unfortunately I do not know Ken or his work. I went to look for it here at the site and couldn't find anything. Could someone post his profile or link to his work? I would love to see what others are speaking of...

-Jon
    Have a Nice Day!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Heather,

An excellent idea!

May I make a suggestion that I think would please Ken more than anything we could do. I suggest that we take up a collection and send the fund to a school that is active in the Freedom Pens project. The shop teacher could use the funds to purchase more mini lathes, pen kits and supplies that are needed to keep his students active in the program. All donations would be a tax write-off as the Freedom Pens project is a 501C Tax Exempt Organization.

Freedom Pens was one of Ken's favorite projects, he really loved supporting our Troops and put his heart and soul into making it a success. The flip side of this effort would be our Service Members benefiting from receiving pens from American Students, nothing could be more precious to them.

Comments?

Possibly some of our turners who haven't made any pens in a long time might be willing to donate a few pens to the Freedom Pens Project in Ken's name. Ken was a Korean War Combat Veteran and retired Army officer who was very proud of his service to this country.

Kieth,

That sounds like a great idea, I am not a turner but will definitely reach into my purse to make a contrbution. May I suggest that you start a new thread as a sticky with a title like "Fund Raiser in Memory of Our Beloved Ken Salisbury". I have found that most people only read the OP and then submit a reply, to me this is most unfortunate as folks often reiterate information or miss other valuable points that come up in the thread. It would be nice to see a generous response to this idea, this man was a cornerstone here at the Creek, Badger Pond, and from what I read in this thread a Decorated Korean War Combat Veteran.

Heather
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.