Thread: Lathe tools for pens

Lathe tools for pens

A recent post noted an Amazon sale on a PSI lathe chisel set; this particular set is smaller overall than the normal sized PSI Benjamin's Best. Would this smaller size with 10 inch handles and 6 inch steel be the appropriate size or would smaller tools be even better? This is only for pens and other smaller objects, as large tools are already on hand.

Chris, I have turned many a pen with the tools I have for things much larger. Actually I only use three tools for pens. The spindle roughing gouge, a parting tool, and the skew. IMHO I just don't see the need for the "pen tools".

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Thanks Tony. Have a 3/8 bowl gouge, and other large tools, but will need to get a spindle gouge and skew. Appreciate the info. Would guess maybe a 1/2 gouge and skew would be about right?

I use my regular turning tools for pens - 1 1/4" roughing gouge, 1" skew, 1/2" skew, Bedan, etc. I like the leverage of large, long handles.

I have the smaller set.. I think I have used them twice.. Once when I got them. And found out I didn't like them.. Then again about a year later. I tried them again and still didn't like them..

Chris I started with this set from PSI. I still use them today.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lxwm1007.html
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Never turned a pen with the small tools but can not image doing it. I use my regular lathe tools, they work fine.

Thanks for all the comments. Glad to hear that existing tools are satisfactory for the pens. DW is glad too that I don't need more tools....(this time...no, but maybe next will proffer a gloat).

Chris do like I do get all the handles the same color and then she never knows.

Chris;
    I bought the small set of turning tools from Woodcraft a couple years ago when I started to turn pens. What a mistake. They are small enough that it is almost impossible for me to turn with out getting a lot of chatter. There just isn't enough heft to them. Also The skew is only 1/4 inch. I have a real hard time with that. The set also came with a 1/8 inch gouge. I still haven't been able to get the tool rest close enough to prevent chatter on that. I have used them for small finial work but that is about all they are good for. One last thought is about sharpening. The ones I have are too small to use with my Wolverine jig so I have to sharpen them on a belt sander. Not very repeatable for me. Oh well live and learn.

Steve

What Tony said!

The only possible need for those tools, (IMHO) would be for detailing (?). I have only used one tool on my pens, A 1 1/4" modified roughing gouge.
    Bob