Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to unload a GLOAT

How to unload a GLOAT

So how do you get a 600 pound gloat out of the back of a RAM 3500 dually with a bed that's almost four feet off the ground?

I picked the cherry picker up at Harbor Freight a while ago when they had them on sale for $79. I had about an inch to spare in regards to height.

Yes, I could have used the bed crane, but then I would just have had to pick it back up with the cherry picker to get it into the shop.

It's 10:30 pm and I just got this into the shop, so a more thorough gloat about the Hammer AS-31 jointer/planer will have to wait until tomorrow. I picked it up at the Woodworkers Expo in Hartford, CT.

Be well,

Doc
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice saw and buy on the picker. I bet you could sell that for close to what you paid for it when you are done. Order one more thing and it will have paid for itself... maybe it has already. Good job! Let us know how the saw works for you (once you get it set up).
    Dewey
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Wow. Great gloat! It looks like you will enjoy your new 'toy' Let us know how it works out. BTW congrats on the promotion.

Greg

HEY HMCM,
    Is that what I should do with my Master Chief Pay when and if I get it? Care to counsel a CTTCS? (My way of saying congrats on the 1% list)
    GO NAVY!
    Dewey
    Dewey

I have a Gloat unloader like yours.

It saw quite a bit of use when I moved. Most difficult was a full sized 1 hour photo lab machine. Weighed about 900#'s and was huge.

I bought it at a local auto parts store when they had a good deal. It has paid for itself over and over.

Dewey, that's a jointer/planer combo unit not a saw. It's the AS-31 which is about 13" wide.

As for it coming from the Master Chief pay raise...I wish. You know our pay raises are not that much. If I saved my increase in pay, it would take four months to pay for this thing! And since I was 11 of 20 HM's that were advanced I won't get paid until probably October.

Nope...this was funded primarily though my stimulus check and then some from the savings. Don't know if buying a German made machine will help stimulate our economy...but it sure is heck going to stimulate me

Be well,

Doc

Doc,
    As I have always told my sailors...

"Better to be last increment on this cycle than first increment on the next!"

Again congrats and looking forward to more pics.
    Dewey
    Dewey

Great photo, I love the cherry picker ("Shop crane!") for moving tools around.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

I've had to let the air out of the tires of my truck to unload it with a shop crane before. Now for heavy stuff I use my 5x8 utility trailer, its only 2' off the ground and has a ramp and a wood floor, so I can nail my load to it if I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah Bartlett View Post
    I've had to let the air out of the tires of my truck to unload it with a shop crane before. Now for heavy stuff I use my 5x8 utility trailer, its only 2' off the ground and has a ramp and a wood floor, so I can nail my load to it if I want.
    Utility trailers are great!! Dont feel like unloading the stuff now??? Just unhook it and deal with it later!
    There will never be a shortage of folks telling you why you can't or shouldn't do something...even though much has been accomplished that hasn't been done before !

11. Don, you're going to love yours. I just redid my ductwork and put my new A3-31 in place a few weeks ago and, well, you're going to love yours.

Very nice, Don! That works and "only an inch to spare" apparently was just right!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Congrats Don and quite a good idea for unloading.

Don, was that your machine on display at the show? I went to drool at all the big machines and kick the tires on the Felder/Hammer stuff in person, looks like the highest quality stuff up close. Congrats.

PS, sorry if I may have drooled on your machine, but I did wipe it off with my sleeve!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Very nice, Don! That works and "only an inch to spare" apparently was just right!

Doc,

Regarding that inch...you coulda let some air out of those tires!

Nice haul...you'll love that piece of machinery...my 16" wide J/P is just heaven!!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.