Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to unload a GLOAT

So, what exactly *is* the gloat...the new machine? The Ram 3500 Dually? or the bed crane?

Nice work getting it out, and congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah Bartlett View Post
    ...I use my 5x8 utility trailer, its only 2' off the ground and has a ramp and a wood floor...
    I actually have a large utility trailer with a wooden deck and both car ramps and a loading ramp. It's 7x24. I didn't use it this time because I would have had to haul it the two hours down to CT. Besides, with both the bed crane and shop crane, I can easily get anything in and out of the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ..."only an inch to spare" apparently was just right!
    If you notice, I actually had to bolt the load leveler directly to the crane. I took the 6" chain/hook off. But as I said, if it didn't reach, I would have just lowered it with the bed crane, then picked it back up with the shop crane to move it into the shop.

About a year a half ago, I picked up an old Blue Jet Xacta saw with 52" rails (to compliment my white one) - unposted gloat, got it free! Anyway, I used the bed crane to pick the whole unit up at once - no problem, swung it right over the side and into the bed. Once I got back and lowered it down on a mobile base, it was a pain to get it into the shop. That's one of the reasons I got the shop crane.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Don, was that your machine on display at the show?...
    Yup, that was mine. They also sold the shaper, the 16" J/P, and one of the sliders.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT Fitzgerald View Post
    So, what exactly *is* the gloat...the new machine? The Ram 3500 Dually? or the bed crane?
    John, I've had the dually since 2000, the bed crane for about 5 years, and the shop crane about a year. Only thing new in that pic is the Hammer!

Be well,

Doc

Don,
    What is the weight limit on that "gloat unloader"? I am thinking of picking one up at harbor freight in time for the delivery next week of my gloat - a 1970 12" Oliver jointer (1785#) that I picked up on ebay for $587.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Hingle View Post
    Don, What is the weight limit on that "gloat unloader"?...
    Lee, if you look at the orange lifting arm, you will see 4 holes. If you use the furtherest one back, it has a capacity of 2000#, the next hole is 1500#, then 1000#, then 500# for the one I am using.

With my bed crane it's 500# at it's furthest hole and 1000# at the closest - yet both of these arm assemblies are identical - go figure.

I will tell you that I have lifted over 1000# with the far hole on both of them with no problem.

With that said, if you are going to routinely lift heavy stuff, Harbor Freight also sells the same type of "shop" crane but with a 4000# capacity. It's lift range is 4000/3000/2000/1000.

The model I have folds up for storage which is really nice because this beast is huge and heavy (over 200#).

Also, you'll really need to get the right accessories for it as well. I have a whole collection of lifting slings which range from 6' long up to 12' (buy them in pairs) and the red thing is a load leveler which lets you adjust the load side to side to balance it. The leveler is a nice to have, the slings are not.

Be well,

Doc

Thanks Don! I'll be checking these out at Harbor Freight first chance I get.

Lee

If you tell me your dually is a Cummins I'll be REAL jealous. I had my eye on an 04' in Omaha, but I couldn't justify the $35k price tag. I'll have to stick with the 2500 HO for now.

Nice score! I wish I had the room to house such a tool, let alone the quandry of unloading it using other fun tools!

Since your trucks' too tall loaded, I assume you might hit this limit often. Might be a pain to deflate/inflate dualies, especially with a small compressor. Instead, make a portable ramp for the cherry picker. Or stack some boards or pallets on the ground to use the bed hoist to lower onto that, then the cherry picker to take it from there.

In my 12 years at a paleontology museum operating for most of those years on a shoestring, we ran into similar problems with moving dinosaurs around. You learn to improvise!

-Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Brogger View Post
    If you tell me your dually is a Cummins I'll be REAL jealous...(
    GUILTY!!!

Of course, you shouldn't be jealous. It has a 42 gallon tank and I filled it the other day before going to pick up the Hammer...I was on 1/4 tank and it cost just over $150 to fill the tank I used 3/4 of a tank going down there and back (so it essentially cost me $150 to pick it up).

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Gerken View Post
    Since your trucks' too tall loaded, I assume you might hit this limit often. Might be a pain to deflate/inflate dualies, especially with a small compressor. Instead, make a portable ramp for the cherry picker. Or stack some boards or pallets on the ground to use the bed hoist to lower onto that, then the cherry picker to take it from there...
    Ed, on the couple of occasions where the shop crane couldn't get it out of the bed, I hoisted with the bed crane and lowered it to about 6" off the ground and attached the shop crane. Take the load up on the shop crane and remove the bed crane. It's a smooth hand-off.

I would never think of deflating my duallies - that's A LOT of work, even with my 60 gallon / 3HP IR compressor. This is why I have the combination of the bed crane and the shop/floor crane. And if they won't work, I go to the 7x24 utility trailer.

Be well,

Doc
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Don Abele; 05-04-2008 at 11:02 PM.

Those Cherry pickers really come in handy for more than pulling engines.

I've used mine for loading/unloading a 900# gun safe and other things that are just to big to move by muscle alone

Good that you have a procedure that works, Doc. A mid-air handoff might make me kinda nervous, I'd prefer just one machine handling the load at a time, but it must be you have the kinks ironed out. Still, while using a pallet or two might be less handy, it's probably a bit safer.

I'd like to mount one of those minicranes to a garden tractor!
    -Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Don Abele View Post
    Of course, you shouldn't be jealous. It has a 42 gallon tank and I filled it the other day before going to pick up the Hammer...I was on 1/4 tank and it cost just over $150 to fill the tank I used 3/4 of a tank going down there and back (so it essentially cost me $150 to pick it up).
    Yeah, but with a bigger tank you can probably put over 700 miles away before having to fill it. I've got an 01' 6spd Cummins but its a short box. I'll never own a full sized short box pickup again, and I figure I might as well get a dually if I'm going to get something bigger anyway. Diesel is just artificially inflated right now. I've been told that the new ULSD takes more refineing that the LSD did, but regardless its still easier to produce than gasoline. Just the energy criminals having their fun with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Brogger View Post
    Yeah, but with a bigger tank you can probably put over 700 miles away before having to fill it. I've got an 01' 6spd Cummins but its a short box. I'll never own a full sized short box pickup again, and I figure I might as well get a dually if I'm going to get something bigger anyway. Diesel is just artificially inflated right now. I've been told that the new ULSD takes more refineing that the LSD did, but regardless its still easier to produce than gasoline. Just the energy criminals having their fun with us.
    If I'm doing all highway driving I average about 18 mpg - so that's 756 miles on a tank. City driving brings it down to 13 mpg - that hurts!

That's why I own a "commuter" car that gets 35 mpg that I drive my 68 miles EACH WAY to work every day!

I've heard many rumors about why diesel is so expensive (like it competing with home heating oil production), but none explains why I am spending almost $5.00 a gallon and eight years ago when I bought the truck in Maine diesel was under a dollar!!!

Don,
    Can't thank you enough for steering me towards the Harbor Freight shop crane. Unloaded my machine without a hitch!
    Lee
    Attached Images Attached Images