Thread: Possible Drum Sander Gloat - should I do it?

Possible Drum Sander Gloat - should I do it?

I have an opportunity to pick up a 4 year old 24" Grizzly 1066R with about $200 worth of paper for $700. The owner is a hobbyist and he said it's been rarely used. What do you think? I've been looking at drum sanders for the past year and this is probably the best deal I've come across. I was leaning towards the 22-44 because I like the versatility of the added capacity. However, at $700 I figured 24" would probably cover most of what I do (doors, cutting boards, etc.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

24" is pretty good and would cover you a fair amount of the time. I see a new one is about double the price of this one so it seems like a very good deal for you. If you have the space, I think it would be hard to pass up. Worse comes to worse, you use it for a year, figure out how 24" serves you, and make a decision if you still want to keep it. You may well be able to recoup that $700 or make the next guy smile if you offer it to him for $600!!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Gosh, can I come over and rent time on it when you get it? I have some purpleheart guitar sides and backs that I need to thickness sand...

If it runs I'd race over and get it. I think I can count using just thumbs the number of times I've actually gone past 22 on my 22-44. Of course some that know me say I'm all thumbs, so remember to take my advice with a grain of salt.

I went and took a look at the sander today. I actually had worked with the guy at a cabinet shop a few years ago so he's willing to cut me a deal on it. He's asking $750. It looks like it's seen quite a bit of use. I've bought used equipment before but nothing this expensive. For me it's a lot of $ for something that might have issues in the next year or two. I have about $300 in Visa gift cards that I could use towards a 22-44 and it would come out costing me about the same. I'm really entrigued by the two drums on the Grizzly though. Help!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tough call, I am looking at getting similar, but am really wondering about variable speed feed belt. Once you get the height locked wouldn't it be easier to slow down the conveyor to compensate for load on the machine? Speed it up when doing narrow rails & styles, but slow for panels... Regardless, $700 is a good price. Not sure what wares on those machines, feed belt or drive belts perhaps would be an indicator of actual usage.

Nathan

Like I said, I know the guy from a previous job so I'm not too worried about him misrepresenting the actual use the machine has seen. He told me yesterday that he used it quite frequently when he was doing whole kitchens. I'm trying the weigh the risk of getting a used machine that has some pretty good benefits versus buying something new that may not be as effective.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]