Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Didn't think I'd be doing this this weekend.

Didn't think I'd be doing this this weekend.

I had planned to cut up some of my recently acquired maple for a project I'm working on. Turned on the dust collector and heard a nasty racket coming from the room where it is stored, and practically no suction. Great.

I disconnected the hoses, removed the inlet splitter, and wheeled it out of the closet and into the shop. No small feat there, either. Looked inside the blower housing and saw that the bolt holding the impeller to the motor shaft was loose. OK, I can fix that. So I proceed to remove the 12 1/4-20 bolts holding the inlet cover to the body of the blower. Well, 11 1/4-20 bolts, since one was stripped out and fell off by itself. Found the proper size allen wrench and removed the tiny bolt holding this thing together. You would think they would use something larger than that tiny bolt, but, oh well. Since I had it this far apart I went ahead and pulled the impeller off to inspect it for damage. It was fine. Cleaned everything up and put it back together, with a good amount of Loctite on that tiny bolt.

Now I look at the inlet cover and see that the gasket is completely shot, so I scrape off the pieces that are still sticking and put on on some new rubber weather stripping. While I'm at it, I drilled out the hole that was no longer holding it's 1/4-20 bolt and re-tapped it for a 5/16 -18. And marked it so I wouldn't forget which one it was.

Take a look at the electric plug and see the strain relief is not relieving any of the strain, so I went ahead and fixed that, too.

Roll it back in the closet, hook everything back up and it sings like an opera star. Mission accomplished and only a couple of hours lost. So I take a break for lunch.

After lunch, I am ready to start ripping some of this 2-1/2" maple. I put in my Freud 24 tooth ripping blade and pop in a new ZCI that I made the other week. Strategically place the fence over the ZCI to hold it down, fire up the saw, and raise the blade up through the ZCI. Everything is cool, got the blade up as high as it will need to be to rip the maple. Hit the off switch on the saw. Nothing! The thing will not shut off! I bend over and look at the switch, the off button is recessed into the switch about 1/8". Oh boy. So I walk around and pull the plug.

Go back to the switch and press the off button and it feels like mush. There is no resistance and no spring back. So now I take the switch cover off, disassemble the innards, and discover that the little round plastic shaft the basically does all of the work has snapped off, right next to where it attaches to the actual button. Oh great, how am I going to fix this. I figured maybe some super glue, but would that hold up? The plastic piece that broke off is hollow to accept a screw which holds the metal plate that presses the micro-switch that turned off the power to the load.

Ok, if it has a screw in one side, why not another screw on the opposite side. So I drill through the remaining stub of the shaft that is still attached to the inside of the off button, right through the button itself. Ran a tiny screw from the outside of the button and into the broken piece of the shaft. I did use the super glue as well, I mean, why not, right? So now I just have to figure out how the rest of this thing goes back together.

I stick the button back into it's hole and discover that it is binding. So I trimmed that hole a little to make things work smoother, figured out where everything went and screwed it all back together, replaced the switch cover back onto the switch body and plugged it back in. Hit the on switch and the saw fired up, hit the off switch, and it shut off. Mission 2 accomplished.

That was enough for one day. Time for beer or three.

Thanks for listening (reading?)

Ah - a legal weekend, spent studying up on Murphy's Law
    I hate when that happens.
    Use the fence Luke

Murphy's Law

I like Ferguson's Law better; "Murphy was an optimest."

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thompson View Post
    I like Ferguson's Law better; "Murphy was an optimest."
    Must be Murphy's psycho brother!

Well, look at it this way, Mark. There's only one thing left to go wrong! Hope the beer wasn't flat!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Jerry beat me to it.

Helmuth von Moltke, a Prussian field marshal’s version wrote “Therefore no plan of operations extends with any certainty beyond the first contact with the main hostile force or as it has been condensed "no plan survives the first contact with the enemy."

No plan is complete without a couple hiccups.

Today I went to do the install for a kitchen buffet. Should be a quickie, scribe, shim and screw. Got there to find two cable lines and a power box not moved. So much for plans. It took a bit more than I originally anticipated to get it done.

At least you didn't let the smoke out of the motor.

Joe

JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Chritz View Post

At least you didn't let the smoke out of the motor.

Joe

I did not do that!

I did, however have a few extra minutes after the TS switch, so I went ahead and changed out the blinker fluid in the truck, and replaced the winter air with summer air in the tires.

I'd be inclined to call whomever manufactured the saw. Off buttons that don't turn machines off are a big liability concern, and they will probably offer you a no-charge replacement.

I guess I should call Grizzly and check on that. I did check their web site to see about getting a replacement for the off button, but I did not find anything. I really don't want to buy a new magnetic switch for $80.00.

I've had that same day with different details now and then. Murphy, Ferguson, gremlins? Plain bad luck? You're a smart man to walk away for the day and move on. I usually stay and screw a few things up before I realize my state of mind is wrong and my momentum shot after these things happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Engel View Post
    I did not do that!

I did, however have a few extra minutes after the TS switch, so I went ahead and changed out the blinker fluid in the truck, and replaced the winter air with summer air in the tires.
    Did you lube the muffler bearings?

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Chritz View Post
    Did you lube the muffler bearings?

Joe
    Had that done at the garage. I don't like crawling around under the truck.

Hopefully, Murphy got it all out of his system this weekend for you and you can get back to work on the next one!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I'd be inclined to call whomever manufactured the saw. Off buttons that don't turn machines off are a big liability concern, and they will probably offer you a no-charge replacement.
    Not always. When the switch on my bandsaw broke in teh on position, I spoke with Delta and their only offer was to sell me a new switch assembly since the saw was well out of warranty.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Enjoy your beer. Many a day our shoptime turns into repair/fix time....
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Engel View Post
    I guess I should call Grizzly and check on that. I did check their web site to see about getting a replacement for the off button, but I did not find anything. I really don't want to buy a new magnetic switch for $80.00.

Mark,

I know EXACTLY what broke on your switch because the same thing happend to me. If you press Grizzly, they WILL sell you a replacemnt part so you might as well pick up a couple like I did. They were $3-5 each IIRC. Actually, I think I handled the whole thing via email because I emailed them a pic of the part that broke on me. At first they wanted to sell me a new switch but I complained and they relented. I now have 2 spare buttons just in case....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.