Thread: Can you tint arm-r-seal

Can you tint arm-r-seal

Is it possible to tint Arm-r-seal with Transtint dyes?
    I need to add a little amber to some cabinets I made and after reading some of the posts on shellac its either simple or a disaster, since these are already up in my kitchen I really dont want to screw them up so I wondered if I could tint something easy like a wiping varnish?

From homestead finishes.

TransTint Dyes can be added to some oil-based products. The dye can be added directly to linseed or pure tung oil. To add to oil based varnishes mix 1 part dye with 4 parts acetone before adding to the finish.Do not exceed 2 oz. of this mixture per quart. Shake solution thoroughly before applying to wood. TransTints cannot be added to most of the “Danish” oils or finishes thinned with a high ratio of mineral spirits.
    NOTE: When using any dye or colorant, we highly recommend testing your colors first on scraps or cut-offs along with your selected top coat before applying to your projects. TransTint Dyes are not for exterior use.

The note is good advice all around. Maybe some who has specifically tried it on arm-r-seal can give some but it is probably worth a shot.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I think Arm R Seal would qualify as a finish thinned with a high ratio of mineral spirits. It would have to be that way for use as a wiping varnish. You could ask the question on the Homestead Finishing forum to get a more definative answer.

The plus of shellac for this task is that if you screw up alcohol will take it off.

It just occurred to ask--these cabinets have already been finished before? If they are bare wood I would recommend an entirely different approach.
    Last edited by Steve Schoene; 05-05-2008 at 4:40 PM.

cabinet finish

The cabinets in question are new but they were stained/ finished with Minwax Polyshades (stain finish combo I guess) it was the only color I could find that came close to matching the finish on our existing cabinets. After they were installed and I saw them in sunlight instead of incandescant light they need to be a little more amber to match.

I have used transtint dyes with Arm-R-Seal to tint it slightly to make a hard maple table finish tinited to match an aged maple floor. No problems at all. I built it up in three or four coats.

CIMG2934 (Medium).JPG

Ratio

Jeff. Could you tell me approximatly what ratio you mixed with the arm-r-seal. That is what I want to do, the cabinets look fine they just need a couple of shades more amber. Next time I will check them in direct sunlight, it is amazing to me how much difference it made over shop light.

I used about 20 drops of Mission Oak to a pint of ARS. It looks really dark in the container, but lighter on the piece. I played with it on scrap first. Make sure to sand well between coats as the tint highlights any drips or runs! Good luck.

Thanks Jeff I will start to experiment with it.