Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to the board. Hello! and some Q's.

Thanks again fella's. That Grizzly saw sure looks nice, but unfortunately I can't get them in Canada. I could do an "international order" but the cost of shipping, freight, and customs would put me WAY over budget (probably double the price of the saw for me). It still amazes me how so many American companies consider Canada "overseas". Anyway...
    As far as the Delta bandsaw being overpriced, I'm sure I can get it for about $100 cheaper. And that is CDN. Even though the exchange rate is still very good, they do include the costs of shipping and stuff in that. So ya I can get the saw for $300 less on Amazon, but then I have to arrange and pay for my own shipping and customs. It's not worth it in the end. Canada just doesn't have enough options for the same tools Americans can get for at the prices.

As I stated earlier on. I do plan on getting a jointer eventually. Probably November at the WW show if I can find a good deal. In the interm, I will likely use a sled on the planer. I have seen a few options for this, but does anyone have a GOOD link on how to build one?
    Last edited by Ryan Sparreboom; 05-07-2008 at 11:25 AM.

So I've bought my planer (Dewalt 735, LOVE it) and now I'm a bit torn between my original plan of buying a 14" bandsaw, or buying a jointer. Help me out, which one should I buy???

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Sparreboom View Post
    So I've bought my planer (Dewalt 735, LOVE it) and now I'm a bit torn between my original plan of buying a 14" bandsaw, or buying a jointer. Help me out, which one should I buy???
    Did you send int for the $50 rebate on the Dewalt?
    "Seldom wrong, but NEVER in doubt!!"
    Registered EZ "Trac Head"

NO! Sweet, I didn't know about that! How do I get it???

But any thoughts on which "major" tool to buy next. I have a budget of about $750..... 6" jointer or 14" bandsaw? My original thoughts was to go for the bandsaw for resawing and rig up some jigs for jointing on the planer and tablesaw (face and edge). But now that I have the planer, it sure would be easier to have a jointer, and I'm not sure how much resawing I'll really do anyways. Any thoughts from all you guys that have "been there done that" with these tool decisions? Thanks I sure appreciate it.
    Last edited by Ryan Sparreboom; 05-27-2008 at 10:19 PM.

Ryan,
    Congrats on the 735. I bought my 735 about 3 years ago and have absolutely no regrets. The one thing I should caution you on is the DC set-up. Unless the have changed the design, the DC discharge is right over the outfeed table and attaching the DC hose creates some challenges when receiving the stock on the outfeed table. The stock either caught it or I have to be mindful and hold it to the side. Just this weekend I finally went to the borg & found a PVC 3"x4" bend which would friction fit the DC discharge fitting (3" end)and also allow the clamping of the DC hose on the 4" end. This permits me to have the DC hose out of the way. You may also want to look at doing something along these lines.

My opinion would be to go with the jointer. I have reservations about the use of sleds for jointing purposes using a planer. Looks good on paper but I think there would be quite a bit of frustration before it resulted in acceptable surfaces. Others on this forum have done well by using a sled but I feel their talent level is well above mine. The advantage to the sled is that you could theoretically joint stock over twice as wide as you could with the jointer thereby eliminating the need to rip, joint and glue-up wide panels. You might want to try a small sled before you make your decision.

Thanks Les, Ya I noticed the problem with the position of the DC output on the planer as soon as I ran the first board thru it. Wierd that they wouldn't fix it, but I already attached a piece of rubber plumbing and will keep my hose out of the way with some type of clamp for now.

The more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards a jointer. Rigging up a sled and setting up shims for every board I want to plane just seems like a PITA. I have a whole stach of 50 yr old Birch that has some nice "flame" figure to it that I want to make square and smooth. I think I need the jointer first. But I want to hear some more opinions first. I have about a week till I want to buy.

Anyone else got $0.02 they can put in to help me out?

Ryan,

Firstly, welcome to SMC.

Now that you have the planer, what's your budget for a jointer?

Where in Canada are you? Now would be a good time to go to "UserCP" and give some information about yourself.

Cary

Thanks Cary. I'm in Edmonton. My budget is about $750, but that includes getting a few mobile bases too.
    I made some updates on the userCP.

Ryan,
    I would go with a jointer first. I have the Delta 28-206 that you were asking about in your original post. I haven't had any issues with it. I have had it for a few years. I put a riser on it and have had good luck with resawing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Sparreboom View Post
    Pretty much impossible to do any type of resawing with my current little bandsaw, which is why I want a bigger one.
    Resawing is more important to me right now. I'll keep a real small blade on my 11" for cutting tight curves and keep a wide blade on the 14" for resawing.
    Moving to a 14" BS isnt going to put you in a much better position. The 14" ones just dont excel at resawing. Get the biggest baddest BS you can do budgetwise. The heavier the frame and greater the HP, the better. Go used if you can find something in your area.
    An Ex-14" BS owner.
    Use the fence Luke

Blog Entries

jointer as foundation...

Hi Ryan,
    My vote is also for jointer, it does crucial things no other machine can do.
    Unless you are a dab hand with hand tools, how are you going to make
    boards straight and flat with a square edge?

My jointer has become the hub of my machines. When machining, I often go
    between the tablesaw and jointer, planer and jointer, also bandsaw and jointer.

I was told by a rep at a woodshow that the reason we cannot get Grizzly in Canada,
    is because they have some family relation to Busy Bee, and have an agreement not to compete.
    I have no way of knowing if that is true, but I do know they will not send a free catalog to Canada.(?)
    BB does offer their own Craftex brand. I have not purchased any,
    but many others do. I will pm a link to you.

welcome to the Creek,
    Walt

Last edited by Walt Caza; 05-28-2008 at 6:15 AM. Reason: sp
    There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going! WCC

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Crohn's takes guts. WCC

As to the big tools, I would go with a jointer over another bandsaw, at least until you really need to do the resawing.

One thing that you might want to look into is a Kreg jig. Pocket screws will help you out of a great variety of problems.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

I've used the Delta bandsaw ( in someone else's shop) to cut some 6" thick oak corbels for a custom bar front. It lacked the power needed for this. The curves were shallow (the corbels/posts were 34" tall) so there was very little binding, just not enough horsepower. It did get the job done but it was SSSLLLOOOWWW. The blade was brand new. Actually I changed it halfway through to a second new blade. I would recommend at least 2 horse. I had also considered a Grizzly but went to the Minimax E16.