Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hit me with your Best Shot -- 2-car Shop Layout

Take 3

Sounds like good advice all around. A couple of notes.

1) This shop is already built, so I can't move doors, walls, etc.
    2) I suggested Bay 3 as a dedicated finishing area . . . She is the finisher, so SWMBO agreed to using it as a temporary finishing area, as needed.
    3) Actually, I am a less worried about noise levels in the house (the kids’ bedrooms are on the far end) and more worried about disturbing the retired couple next door. Last thing I need to do is move to a new neighborhood and be a nuisance right away. Even so, none of my tools will fit on the top wall without disturbing the daily flow of traffic from the house to the "finishing room/garage."

Taking your advice to heart, I'd say I can:

- Ditch the dedicated miter bench for now
    - Plant the jointer in its place, in line with the TS.
    - Park the planer next to it under the wood rack, but roll it in line with the TS & Jointer, up tight next to the TS/router station when in use.
    - Consolidate the worst dust generators to the right with flexible hoses and do an overhead rigid duct across to the BS/DP area.
    - Use the DP & BS together (both mobile).
    - 3-4’ wide walkways on the left, top, and right of the center island.
    - Wide open space behind the TS provides workspace for the mobile equipment or for assembly and work storage.
    - Add a woodworking bench near the door to the house and an overhead air cleaner.

Hmmm . . . forgot about sheet goods. Unfortunately, the space behind the workbench is too short for horizontal storage of an 8’ sheet. I guess my only options is vertical storage up against the top wall?. I don’t really like it. Ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Warning, random observations follow...

One thing that caught my eye: are you sure that door to the inside opens that direction? Maybe it's a regional thing, but most house-to-garage doors out here open into the garage. (Probably doesn't matter in your current layout, but just something to keep in mind.)

Also, is there a door in that opening between the 2-bay and 1-bay sides of the garage? If there isn't, you'll probably want one, especially if you're going to use it as a finishing room.

On a completely separate note: I haven't used any of them, but there are several cheap software packages out there for DIY kitchen design etc, that provide 3D views of the layout from different angles. Might be useful for visualizing relative tool heights and other tricky bits. E.g. is the sander taller than the jointer? Will you need to move the planer to use the jointer? Things like that.

(Reading the previous paragraph and looking at the diagram, you probably want to swap the jointer and planer locations. Since the planer will be mobile anyway, its 'parking place' isn't critical.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    One thing that caught my eye: are you sure that door to the inside opens that direction? Maybe it's a regional thing, but most house-to-garage doors out here open into the garage.
    My house-to-garage door opens into the house. Of course, there are three steps DOWN into the garage, so the door pretty much HAS to face that way. But yes, Danny should be sure of this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Thompson View Post
    - Ditch the dedicated miter bench for now
    Hmmm . . . forgot about sheet goods. Unfortunately, the space behind the workbench is too short for horizontal storage of an 8’ sheet. I guess my only options is vertical storage up against the top wall?. I don’t really like it. Ideas?
    You could also build the miter saw into a flip-top workstation and share it with the planer. Plenty of folks, myself included, have done that, just search old SMC posts for "flip top".

As for sheet goods... Are you a hobbiest or is this your career? I'm a hobbiest, and I think I have a pretty good system for 4x8 sheet goods storage: I leave them at the store. Seriously. I don't keep sheet goods on hand. I just buy them as I need them. So I usually only have 1-3 partial sheets hanging around, which don't take up much space.

Also... where are your clamps going? ON the wall above the workbench? Under the TS outfeed? They should be close to where you do your assembly.

Depending on your location you will want a mat in the car area, to catch mud, slush, and snow from footwear so it doesn't tromp into your shop.

...art
    "It's Not About You."

It's looking good conceptually. How about storing the sheet goods vertically behind the overhead door tracks? There is usually 8-10" or more. Use the driveway to break them down as needed.

Think about moving the jointer next to the overhead door. It reduces interference on the inlet feed side. The door can be opened for longer boards.

How about putting the drill press where the plywood storage is located? Mine is used sporadically and isn't part of the dust control system. This frees up the other overhead door corner. And your drill bits and such could be on the nearby shelves.

What do you think about putting the bench between the table saw and the overhead door? Might give you some natural light, but it might be the darkest part of the shop as well. Could be a nice infeed support table for long boards.
    Last edited by David Giles; 05-06-2008 at 3:58 PM. Reason: think slower than can post

Lee,

As it is, to use the jointer I will either have to move it or move the sander and planer. Sort of Jim's Parking Lot approach.

There is not a door between the main shop and the "finishing gar-room." I've seen someone use a vinyl shower curtain. Thoughts?

Art,

With your flip-top Miter Saw, what do you use to support your stock?

Clamps. I had originally planned to put my clamps where the sheet goods are now. Over the workbench may be in the way. I guess I'll hang them from the garage door chain. Seriously, they may have to live on the bottom shelf of the workbench.

Problem with leaving the sheet goods at the store is that my supplier is across town and closes before I get off work, so I tend to overbuy when I can. Hmmm.

David,

Do you mean between the tracks and the ceiling? Interesting.

I can't put the drill press up top without infringing on the pathway. Plus, I have a little overkill of a drill press table that includes bit storage.

To tell you the truth, your idea about putting the workbench near the overhead door is something I keep fiddling with. The problem is, where would I use my mobile tools?

There is not a door between the main shop and the "finishing gar-room." I've seen someone use a vinyl shower curtain. Thoughts?

Art,

With your flip-top Miter Saw, what do you use to support your stock?
    Danny

re: opening btwn shop and garage -- my thoughts are to put in a door. With a door closer and weather stripping. Isn't this conditioned space? Are you planning to heat/cool the garage part as well as the shop? Not to mention keeping out the exhaust/gas fumes.

re: miter stand. I don't have any supports at all yet. with long stock I usually just mock up a temporary extended support. I've seen carts that have fold-down "wings" on their portable miter station. (Remember, ww'ing is just my hobby, so at times I accept that certain operations take a bit extra time.)

best,
    ...art
    "It's Not About You."

Well, you may be at the point of diminishing returns. I've rearranged the shop 3 times in three years. Once to gain 9" between a bench and the saw. You've got a lot more choices. After I built 3-4 projects and a set of cabinets, I had a lot better idea of what worked and what didn't.

BTW, nice shop!

As it is, to use the jointer I will either have to move it or move the sander and planer.
    You really want to avoid that. Having to move tool A to use tool A is bad enough...having to move tool B and tool C to use tool A gets extremely annoying.

(Having to move tool B and tool C just so you can get to tool A to move it is even worse. DAMHIKT)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Quote Originally Posted by David Giles View Post
    Well, you may be at the point of diminishing returns. I've rearranged the shop 3 times in three years. Once to gain 9" between a bench and the saw. You've got a lot more choices. After I built 3-4 projects and a set of cabinets, I had a lot better idea of what worked and what didn't.
    And that's another point: whatever layout you end up with, you may want to use it for a half-dozen projects or so before you commit to a final layout and lock everything down with DC ducting, wiring, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    (Having to move tool B and tool C just so you can get to tool A to move it is even worse.
    Now there's a tool gloat!

Quote Originally Posted by David Giles View Post
    Now there's a tool gloat!
    More of a garage anti-gloat actually. I'm in more-or-less the same situation Danny is in...except I don't have that third bay to work with and I'm kind of anal about having the car inside every night.

The good news is, everything is small and mobile. The bad news is, it's like a jigsaw puzzle to put everything away and still leave a car-sized hole in the middle.

(And occasionally a couple of the mobile pieces decide to get locked together like a pair of teenagers with braces...not fun.)

This isn't conditioned space . . . yet, but I plan to insulate the door.

Point taken on the A, B, C thing. I think I've solved that, and my sheet goods problem, too, by adding a hinged sheet goods "gate" under the lumber rack (see this example http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30411).

This requires to bump the jointer out a bit, which means it can be used in place without moving A, B or C; it will only be moved to allow sheet access (i.e., infrequently).

Miter Saw is now flip-topped with the planer, mobile, and leveled with the TS/Outfeed for stock support.

Clamp cart added (by the DC).

Workbench could move by the overhead door, but I think I will prefer it closer to the tool storage in the outfeed table and possibly hanging on the wall above it.

Diminishing returns . . . probably so. Problem is, I'm about a month away, so what's a guy to do?

Hmmm . . . parking . . . parallel (?)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Danny Thompson; 05-07-2008 at 1:14 PM.

Problem is, I'm about a month away, so what's a guy to do?
    Don't stress over it: live with the idea that your initial layout will not be optimal. Your second layout (6-12 months later) will be much better. Your third layout (12-18 months after the second) will be about as good as it gets.

And then you can buy some more tools and start over.