Thread: I just can't hold it in....**gloat**

Talking I just can't hold it in....**gloat**

I got my first burls today....in a very strange way.

I had just gotten home from work, and suddenly a fervent knocking rattled my front door. I peeked through the window to find some creepy random guy fidgeting restlessly. Being curious, I opened the door. A man who had stopped by earlier in the year was before me, looking and acting much shadier than before. He said, knowing from the previous encounter what my driveway looks like, that he was also a lumberjack (lol). He had some wood for me that would only cost me $6.00. After hemming and hawing, I decided to give it a go. It was obvious that he was jonesing for his next fix, but it was daylight, and plenty of people were around. So we went to a park several blocks away, and I found a large pile of log sections, heavily decayed. Luckily there were two nice looking maple crotches still there. After more "poor me" balogny I gave him $7.00 as a finder's fee, although there was a sign posted "free fire wood". I said as much, but he admitted that he needed "gas money", and I wanted him gone. After parting ways I went home, grabbed my chainsaw, and went back to get the wood. To my surprise, the crotch chunks were outstanding, and to top it all off, I had missed some burls on some other logs!!!

So here's the gloat....burls and crotch wood....from a junkie.

Hutch

P.S. Do I need to do anything special with the burls so they will dry properly? They have already been sealed. I couldn't wait 'til tomorrow, so I roughed out one of the crotches. It's so awesome. It's about 18.25" in diameter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice guy

Wow, Matt. It was really nice of you to give the “finder” some respect. We are all weary(and wary) of people taking advantage of us. In this case you used some compassion with this man and came out a winner in several ways. Good job!

Good job Matt. Congrats on some nice looking wood. You did him a service which was very kind of you.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Attaboy Matt!

Nice handling of a strange situation. You reaped an instant reward for your compasion. Now you need to read all bout DNA and the whole greenwood drying process. Yhat forst piece is lookin good.
    Bob

Blog Entries
    To think that could have ended up ina fireplace. WHEW! Nice looking platter, congradulations.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

That finder's fee will incourage him to look for more wood for you. This is beautiful stuff.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Interesting Situation Indeed!

Well, I have to be honest. I can't say I was showing compassion. I really don't believe in enabling substance abuse. It is hard in a situation like that, because even though he deserved a finder's fee, I knew he would immediately buy drugs with it. Also, I didn't really feel like upsetting a guy who knows where I live. Whatever the reasons, giving him some money seemed like the right decision. But truly, thank you all for the encouragement. Too many people encourage me to tell these people off.

Now, back to the gloat! I am not exactly sure what kind of maple it is. It is very hard and dense, and has those very dark areas around the pith. I don't have the money right now to invest in a DNA setup, but soon I hope. (Right now I need to place a $500 order with Craft Supplies, buy a 5 gallon bucket of Anchorseal, buy bulk CA glue, sanding discs from Vince's, get a new bowl gouge from Thompson cuz mines almost gone, and get a buffing system! AHHH!!!) Is there a anything specific to drying burls that I should be aware of? I can't wait to turn the burls, cuz I have never had any before. Thanks.

Hutch

when i did my apple burls i just did it like a normal peic ein dna, but i would slow down the drying prosses a lot more than normal, on my peices i dryied it like normal, but when i turned it almost all of the eyes were split, i gave it kind of a neat look but not what i was looking for, when you are roughing out the inside of them, stop the lathe and check frequently for bark inclusions and uunknown, also if youve never turned burl before, have your camera ready, some of the times you stop the lathe, the grain pattern in the surface will be unbeleiveable.

Question on the crotch peices, try cutting one of them down the center so that the point where they meet is the side of the bowl, it will make a different pattern
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Yo...

Hey Curtis, I am a little unsure of the exact orientation of bowl bank that you are trying to describe. Also, do you have any picture of crotch blanks that you have turned in this way? Thanks.

Hutch

Better he is selling firewood than hitting someone over the head. Nice haul there.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

That is pretty wood. I put it in a plastic bag sometimes until I can seal it with wood sealer. Keep it in the shade or a cool place until you turn it. I look forward to seeing a few bowls turned from it.
    Jack

"Well, I have to be honest. I can't say I was showing compassion. I really don't believe in enabling substance abuse. It is hard in a situation like that, because even though he deserved a finder's fee, I knew he would immediately buy drugs with it. Also, I didn't really feel like upsetting a guy who knows where I live. Whatever the reasons, giving him some money seemed like the right decision. But truly, thank you all for the encouragement. Too many people encourage me to tell these people off."

Matt,

Have you ever seen the movie "Pay it Forward"? Just as a thought, if this person ever shows up at your door again you may want to let him know that you really appreciated the wood that he helped you obtain, he obviously knows something about wood (can't be all bad ). If he has another find, reward him again and maybe a little more generously, also let him know your concerns that he may have an issue with substance abuse (do not preach to him, just show concern laced with understanding). The area that you live in is going through very difficult times, he may have lost his job, home (workshop ) and feeling of self worth. There are many ways out of the grips of addition, not an easy road to travel as I can attest to myself . I am happy that you had the compassion in your heart to not tell him off as you have been encouraged to do by others. Another thing to consider is this, he knows you are a woodworker, bet he knows that you have tools that could be sold on the street for more than the seven dollors you gave him (looks like he took the high road to the best of his ability). Life comes at you "One Day at a Time", just sometimes it does not feel that way! Another thing that may light the needed spark if he should show up at your door, show him the pieces that you made from his find. You never know, but he may be able to offer some good insights, gifts come from the most unexpected places .

Heather
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.

Good on ya, Matt.
    You too, Heather.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.