Thread: Wipe=On Poly Help

Wipe=On Poly Help

Hi
    I am new to finishing and working on my first project. I stained using Minwax oil based stain then followed that with Minwax Wipe-On Poly, satin sheen. After three coats of poly, using 0000 steel wool between coats, i put on what I thought would be my last coat. The first three coats looked good, nice satin sheen, but now I have lost the satin sheen and it now looks to be a gloss sheen. I don't know if I put two much poly on or what happened but I am very disappointed with the finish now. Is there a way I can remove some of the poly and reapply? How do I get the satin sheen back? Thanks for any help!

On the last coat you probably neglected to thoroughly stir the material before you poured out the part that you were going to use. The satin sheen comes from (usually) silica particles that roughen the surface when the finish dries. Check to see whether mixing up the remaining material gives the desired sheen on a test board prepared the same way. You may have separated the flatting agent from the varnish and got the proportions out of balance some where along the way.

But if the varnish you have left, or a fresh can if you are uncertain, can be used--no need to do anything drastic about the previous coats.
    Four coats of wiping varnish isn't very much--perhaps a little more than 1 full coat of brushed on varnish.

I would just sand the surface level and apply another "final" coat, or perhaps two. Sand paper, 320 grit, on a lightly padded sanding block is the proper material for scuffing between coats. Steel wool just follows any defects, sand paper cuts them off and levels the surface.

When stirring a satin varnish, you should stir for several full minutes to get a really thorough mix. And, then you must continue to stir it every few minutes, especially with thinner bodied wiping varnish, so that the flatting agent doesn't settle out.

Blog Entries
    I'm with Steve. It sounds like all the solids that make the satin appearance were settled on the bottom of your container. No problem. I generally use all gloss coats till the last if I am after a satin. That way I don't get a thick clouded finish but I still get the satin appearance.

As Steve suggests, do a between coat sand job (not 0000) and apply more finish. I would start with a new container as your 'finish to solids' ratio in your current can is wacked if the problem resulted from non-stirring. As I always tell myself; after all this work, another $xx to get it right is nothing. Good luck.

I am not recommending the following. . . . I would do it if it were the night before Christmas and the nearest new can of finish was two states away . . . Carefully laod some 0000 with Johnson's Paste Wax (or like product) and rub-out all surfaces to simulate the satin appearance . . . again; I did not recommend this.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I agree. There's usually some nasty sludge in the bottom that must be mixed in. With the can the way they are sold its difficult to see or tell. I mixed my own the last round by thinning standard poly. Not only was it much cheaper, but its easier to mix the flattening agent.

Thanks for the great suggestions. Now that I look back, I may have not mixed the poly before applying. Thanks again!

Lyle, one other thing (in addition to "Welcome to SMC!"), three coats of a wipe-on varnish is sorta like only one coat of a brushed on varnish. If you are getting the smoothness you want with only three wiped-on coats, great, but know that you have a very thin finish. This is not an issue for something decorative, but might be an issue for something that gets used. You don't state what your project happens to be, so consider this accordingly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I went back and applied two more coats of wipe-on poly and the satin finish is back. Thanks! I am ready to wrap this desk project up but I have noticed the finish still has a few "wiping" marks, and it is not very smooth. How do I finish this up, or do I have to apply some more wipe-on poly? Thanks Again.

Wiping marks mean either a) you went back over an area after too much time, or b) you put it on too heavy from my experience--I've done both. The fix depends on how bad it is. You could sand with 320 grit paper and apply one more coat. Or if its not bad, rubbing with paste wax and the 000(0?--I forget which the finest commonly available is) will remove any dust nibs and leave a silky smooth finish. If you try the wax and aren't happy with the result, you are going to have to make absolutely sure you got the wax back off before trying another coat.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 05-18-2008 at 11:35 AM.