Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic DDS-225 Dual Drum Sander 25"

Powermatic DDS-225 Dual Drum Sander 25"

I've been using Snarfer to sniff out a drum sander on my local Craigslist and it finally found something I'm considering. I'm finding lots and lots of floor sanders when I search on 'drum sander' unfortunately.

I see these go for about $3k new and the ad states $1.8k for this one.

It is also north of 800 lbs and would be a beast to move for move so it is likely too big for me plus I was hoping for a Performax 22-44 to show up but I have a concern for those with any experience with this Powermatic sander:

The sandpaper appears to be a pain to wrap and find due to the reverse wrapping required and the 4" width needed. At least that is what I've read about thus far. I was curious about comments about this for anyone with direct experience.

Cheers
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 05-06-2008 at 7:31 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Chris,
    The DDS-225 is next on my list as well and from what my local machinery company tells me is that the Powermatic takes sleeves.
    No wrapping involved. Something I didn't ask about was the cost of replacement sanding sleeves, might want to check into that one.

Everything I've read says that it is wrapped! I guess we'd both better re-google and see what is up!

You can have my 22-44 pro....when I'm dead! Unless you want to trade for a combo jointer planer say?

I looked closely at the 24" Powermatic at a WW show in Phx over a year ago. Really nice machine. It is a definitely a wrapped machine. Sleeves whould be really hard to change as you'd have to remove the drum to change the sleeve (bearings on both ends). The PM has cast iron drums that looked very heavy duty. I think the Performax has aluminum drums. Since I looked at the PM, I've read that how the paper attaches is really important and it seems that all agree the Woodmaster is best in this regard. I have not inspected a Woodmaster, but my Craig's list search is now for a Woodmaster.

BTW, the PM 24" machine was $2599 at the show. Woodmaster has theirs on sale for $2199 I think. Not sure about shipping, but for a few hundred more, I think I'd go Woodmaster...joe

My local rep may not know what he's talking about either. I'm going to call or email Powermatic themselves & get it straight from the horse mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    You can have my 22-44 pro....when I'm dead! Unless you want to trade for a combo jointer planer say?
    I'd need at least 3 22-44 pros to trade for my J/P!!

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    You got your heart set on a DD? For 1800, you should be able to find a nice Woodmaster. I paid 1500 for my 26” in mint condition, and love it.
    Woodmaster also makes a couple of DD’s but they are pricy.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Bruce, I don't have my heart set on it but it is the first bite I've had from CL in a couple of weeks.

I was LOL thinking that if you put 3 22-44's in a row you would have the world's first triple head DS! Wonder if that would work?

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    I was LOL thinking that if you put 3 22-44's in a row you would have the world's first triple head DS! Wonder if that would work?
    You could put different grit paper on each one. That'd be quite the production line!
    Come 'on Chris, run with it!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

12. Chris,
    This is Woodmasters current pricing.
    I know everybody has their preferences & personally I strongly like Powermatic & other expensive machinery that performs w/ great results.

Because we’re constantly striving to provide you with the most advanced machines at the best possible prices, prices and specs below are subject to change. For the most current specifications and the best possible prices, please contact us directly through email (info@woodmastertools.com) or by calling our toll-free sales line, 1-800-821-6651.
    Model 2675
    26" - Our Smallest most affordable machine
    Reg. $3,047 Now just $2,199

Model 3875
    38" - Our Mid-Sized machine for mid-sized shops!
    Reg. $4,727 Now just $2,795

Model 3820
    38" - Double Drum - Mid-size sander, BIG MACHINE performance!
    Reg. $7,499 Now just $4,655

Model 5075
    50" - Our Biggest, Best, Commercial-Size drum sander
    Reg. $7,906 Now just $3,925

I heard a story where some guy bought several 22-44s and outfitted each with a different grit...he got tired of changing the sandpaper!

For sure, I'm going used for a drum sander. I just have to be VERY patient and keep checking eBay and CL to find something. I'm not in a terrible hurry so I can wait....

Hi Chris

I have the PM DDS-225 it's a beast and it has done whatever i have needed it to do. If the 25" will not limit you I will highly recommend it . The paper is wrapped and 4" works best.

Tom

sander2.jpg

PS: a very good dust collector is a must