Thread: Some questions on a Stanley 7c

Some questions on a Stanley 7c

I just purchased a Stanley #7c plane, which I believe is a type 10.

The lateral adjustment lever is quite loose, both where it attaches to the frog and where the disk attaches to the lever. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? Or am I better off getting a new adjustment lever, and where?

Also, if anyone can direct me to a source for a replacement knob and tote and a good replacement blade, this one is close to done.

TIA.

Hi Mark, A fellow poster pointed me to this site for knobs & totes : http://www.drozsoldetymestanleytotes.../saleitems.htm.
    I haven't tried them as yet, but they do look very nice. As to blades, you could try St. James Bay. I recently ordered a blade for my #3, and found them very friendly and helpful..

Thanks, I will check these places out.

If its not falling off I would not mess with it..

If you can pull the Lateral lever off then you can peen the rivet in the ring but it should swivel but not move up and down..

Ad far was peening the lateral on be very careful as it is easy to crack the cast iron frog.. Make sure the rivet is on an anvil when peening..

Myself I only peen loose parts when they fall off as I have broke a frog replaceing a beorken lateral..
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

Mark,

One possibility on knob and tote is ebay. I just did a search with the string 'stanley (knob,tote)' and got 21 hits. Some good opportunities in there for original rosewood parts.

On the blade, do you want an original true-to-type blade? Or a modern replacement?

Good find!

Wiley

The lateral does fall off as soon as the iron is removed. The disk does not fall off of the lateral, but it can be lifted quite a bit.

The lateral also has a couple of bends and the top portion is missing the small piece that would usually be under the top of the lever. There is just a small rectangular hole there.

I probably should just get a new lateral and start with something that is a little better shape.

Link

The link did not work but I found it here http://drozsoldetymestanleytotesandknobs.com/saleitems.html

Another source
    Doug, the "Wood Loon"
    Acton, MA

72, slow road cyclist, woodworking dabbler, tool junkie , and
    bonsai enthusiast.
    Now, if I could just stay focused longer than a few weeks...

Blog Entries

A Word on Totes & Knobs

Be aware! (OK, that is two words)

The totes are different for the planes depending on their size. It is not just a hole drilled in the front as is suggested at The Best Things.

Also to be considered is the taller knobs take a longer mounting screw. The knob shown at The Best Things has a base for the planes with a ring cast around the front tote, after 1929. Before 1920, the knobs were shorter. Again, the bigger planes had bigger knobs.

Save any old knobs and totes that are not repairable. They are a good source of rosewood to make pieces to fill in on broken totes that can be repaired. One of my old broken totes was repaired recently with the addition of a piece the size of 1/3 section of a quarter. The tote came out fine and if one did not know, they would likely not see it. The piece was cut from an old knob that was pretty far gone.

Good luck on the hunt and enjoy the slide.

jim

Hi Mark,
    I do sell the totes and knobs and they are guaranteed. Any problems send them back and i replace or refund.
    Thanks, greg

www.drozsoldetymestanleytotesandknobs.com

Sorry for my lack of response on this thread. I have been, and still am on vacation and haven't had many opportunities to break away and surf.

Thanks again for all of the help and advice.

Greg, I will check your site and probably give you a call next week so you can let me know what you have available for this plane. Thanks.

Jim, I will remember to keep the old tote and knob for any future repairs that may be needed.