Thread: The newest 240mph sportscar - made of wood!

Cool The newest 240mph sportscar - made of wood!

Did any of you notice the article in the July issue of Wood Magazine on the wood super car? Now that's an ambitious project! More details on Joe Harmon's web site.

Thats a beautiful car. I wonder if they will use Thompsons Water Seal or something like that. I wonder, after 20 years under a pine tree, if someone will be able to restore it. Here is a thread I posted from the Cleveland Auto show in January:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=81261
    My favorite cologne is BLO

Zoom zoom zoom.....
    David DeCristoforo

Thanks for the link to your post Lance. Don't know how I missed it the first time (threads get buried quickly around here with so much activity!). I had never heard of an all wood car before, hard to believe there is more than one. Maybe this will be a trend. I can hear the conversations now: "So, what's on your woodworking list?" "Oh, the usual, a picture frame, a hall table, a small SUV..."

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Warford View Post
    Thanks for the link to your post Lance. Don't know how I missed it the first time (threads get buried quickly around here with so much activity!). I had never heard of an all wood car before, hard to believe there is more than one. Maybe this will be a trend. I can hear the conversations now: "So, what's on your woodworking list?" "Oh, the usual, a picture frame, a hall table, a small SUV..."
    I not only want a pickup made from black walnut, I want it to run on 18 volt Ryobi batteries. I got an email from a friend a while back and there were lots of full size wooden cars, but I dont know if they were just display, or were actually functional. The Jeep and the Bronco were definitely driveable. I notice now after looking at the photos of the jeep, it looks like the fenders and hood are painted metal, but most everything else on the body was wood, all the flat and straight areas.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

I went through the site today. Cool project! The only question I had is: What happens if you hit something at 100mph in a car made primarily out of wood?

Splinter is a good name, I think......"Wooden stake through the flippin' heart" might be better.
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

There have been a LOT of wooden car bodies over the years.
    A lot of 20's and 30's cars with coachmakers bodies. BTW Fisher body was bought by GM as a coachbuilder.
    Morgan cars in England have always had wooden frames.
    A great number of home-built sports racers are almost completely made of wood.
    Woodies? You know, the original station wagon and then the iconic ride of the surfer?
    Wood in vehicles has a long and noble history - and may just be making a comeback as light, strong, and inexpensive elements.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

A new market for woodworking machinery

Body Shops