Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Delta Tools- The Worst!!!

I sure wish their was a viable North American tool industry. I guess I will just buy old tools. My most recent aquisition is a Delta Metal and wood Bandsaw from the 50's or 60's.. It is a beautiful machine. Delta, Singer sewing machines...just once great names now.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Johnstone View Post
    Yes, that's the problem. We hobbyists have ourselves to blame. I remember when the first wave of imports came over, people will gushing that they saved $50 buying the import vs the Delta.. Time and time again, we hobbyist buy or price, and are willing to accept a "kit" or less than perfect. It's now a race to the bottom.

That being said, I've had good luck with Delta tools, although mine are the more expensive tools. I have a floor standing drill press from them which is great, but I bought it years ago, so things may have declined since then.
    I have several others, but most of them were made in the USA in an era before quality went into the trashcan. Now in all fairness, some imports are good, and not every tool is being built as cheap as possible. I think that 10 years ago, the quality of all brands was higher.
    Yes its a pretty pathetic situation all around with just about every comsumer product available now.Our trade deficit with two countries in asia has been so bad for so long that we are paying the price now. Our economic autotonomy as a country is just about gone.
    There will never be a shortage of folks telling you why you can't or shouldn't do something...even though much has been accomplished that hasn't been done before !

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Blanchard View Post
    Is the issue really that these machines are imported???

I know of many imported woodworking machine lines that are of very high quality with wonderful fit and finish. It is apparent that an Asian import can be very well made. I think the problem is more accurately described as a lack of quality standards, expectations and demands set forth by the company who has outsourced the manufacturing process to countries in Asia.
    I couldn't agree more! I don't think the issue is that they're imported. Many fine high quality tools come out of Taiwan (i.e. Sawstop). Labor is certainly cheaper in these areas, but not necessarily lower skilled. And many of these manufacturers are ISO certified.

I think the issue is Delta's strategy is to compete on Price and not Quality, Features, and Service and mass market the heck out of their products to hobbiests and small commercial shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Slater View Post
    I sure wish their was a viable North American tool industry.
    I think there is still a viable North American tool industry, but we've set our price comparison bar too low as a result of imported asian tools. You can buy a fantastic quality "Medium Duty" Northfield 8" Jointer for about $10,000 Or a Canadian made General 8" Jointer for $3,299! Or an imported Griz for $800 or so.
    Last edited by Kim Spence; 05-08-2008 at 2:01 PM.

Let Delta know what you think:
    http://www.deltaportercable.com/AboutUs/ContactUs.aspx

There's a way to email them using an online contact form. I emailed them a link to this thread and suggested that their CEO visit here and let us know how he's going to fix Delta. I won't hold my breath.

Dan Bussiere Guest
    I currently have a Delta table saw, bandsaw, mortising machine, planer, and numerous other small tools. To date I have never had any problems with any of my Delta tools. But, after reading this thread, I will certainly shy away from any future purchases. It appears that Delta has lost it's desire or ability to produce quality tools and customer service. I doubt the CEO of the company would review a web site like this, but if the attitude at the corporate level is to allow this type of manufacturing under their leadeship, I don't expect much from them anyway.

Except that maybe they expect a large retirement bonus......

Man I love this thread.

I went through the 4 pages of this thread. Of the machines with issues:

Delta 12" DP
    Delta Midi Lathe
    Another small DP
    A mortiser
    1" Belt Sander
    A Small DC and a small AP400 DC
    A P20 Scroll Saw
    A floor model planer with a questionable motor
    A jointer small enough to take to a Service Center
    A uni fixed by a CS (good result)
    A DP trying to be outfitted to a new model DP table - CS said no

So because all these small tools are bad - Delta is Bad??!!??
    Delta also sells a jointer for $3800 and a planer for $10K, and $5K, and $4500.

But those are bad because a $139 Dust collector's switch melted? I would severally doubt many of the Uni owners of today would give up their saw. I bet if a new Uni owner was given the choice between it or a Griz I bet they would keep the grey. Same with a PM guy or General guy - people use what they like. Only times people typically sell these are for PM66s, Sawstops, and Euro sliders. These tools are not the same as a contractor saw from Lowes, I am sorry to break it to you. Quit comparing the two.

The fact that you can even have problems with a $140 DC is amazing. I am suprised they even sell one that cheap. They could be like any other quality tool maker and start selling them way out of our price range. But no, they find a way to make us one, one cheap enough to go to any Lowes in the US to see it, and then when we buy it and it does not work like an expensive tool we bash them. Or we get mad when the parts for them are not available. Its because we are supposed to buy another one!

You cannot expect CS to have the same knowledge of a disposable $99 DP as they do a $2000 tablesaw. It is not realistic for them to stock all the parts in their warehouse for both tools equally. Their return is not the same on both tools. Buy one of their $1200 industrial drill presses and see if you can get parts. You can still buy parts for a 1960s uni. Its a different story for different tools in their line.

I am sorry if you are not one of Delta's prime customers and if you buy the tools they do not care as much about. Be glad you can find any tool at all. At least you can aways buy them in orange and some high school kid in isle 10 will be able to get you a replacement down off the shelf. their are markets for everybody.

So just because I don't drop several thousand dollars on one of their tools, I'm not entitled to any decent customer service? Sorry man, but I disagree with you....If they put their name on it, they should back it up if something goes wrong....And do so in a timely fashion....That's just my opinion, for what it's worth....

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Hood View Post
    So just because I don't drop several thousand dollars on one of their tools, I'm not entitled to any decent customer service? Sorry man, but I disagree with you....If they put their name on it, they should back it up if something goes wrong....And do so in a timely fashion....That's just my opinion, for what it's worth....
    Sure, if it is under warranty. But after that all bets are off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Sure, if it is under warranty. But after that all bets are off.
    It is under warranty....It was bought in February of this year....Yet Delta and the service center are saying that the tool is obsolete already....You may not agree, but I consider that to be, for lack of a better word, BS....But I do agree with you concerning Delta's attitude....Perhaps if this was an industrial grade machine, the CS would be better. But the fact remains that the lathe has "DELTA" written on it in big letters. That being the case, they should stand behind their product, whether is costs $10 or $10,000....Treating folks like the "little guy" isn't gonna get them very far.....

I have a number of Delta tools, including a midi lathe (16x42 VS), with which I've been very happy with quality and reliability.

I remember a little less than ten years ago, Delta was having trouble keeping an appropriate emphasis on quality in their Taiwan manufacturing operation, and people were having spotty quality issues depending on where made -- to the point that there were magazine articles about it and lists circulating for showing how to read the Delta model/serial numbers to determine where they were made. Many other tool manufacturers with Taiwanese operations (e.g., Jet) at that time managed to keep a focus on quality. I'm not up on what's happening today, but the spotty quality sounds very similar to what was happening then.

The fact is that companies like Ridgid and Grizzly sell products for the same price as Delta and their tools consistently get good reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Spence View Post
    I think there is still a viable North American tool industry, but we've set our price comparison bar too low as a result of imported asian tools. You can buy a fantastic quality "Medium Duty" Northfield 8" Jointer for about $10,000 Or a Canadian made General 8" Jointer for $3,299! Or an imported Griz for $800 or so.
    I agree . The consumer grade stuff is whats not so great any longer.I have have looked inside much of the off-shored stuff for sale today .Its not top quality either,by any means. The tops are shiney and the handles are huge, but the gears are a poor cut and the nuts and bolts are crude.
    There will never be a shortage of folks telling you why you can't or shouldn't do something...even though much has been accomplished that hasn't been done before !

My money is important to me whether I spend $100 or $10,000, I still want to get the value that I paid for. So here to me is the crux of the matter. All of the businesses that supply products to the mass market will have some that sell better quality than another and all of them will have a quality problem from time to time. IMO and for my money spent I will support a company that handles the problems in a prompt, courteous and knowledgeable manner. It is unacceptable to me that I wouldn't even be able to buy a replacement part after the warranty expired.

I started buying Grizzly products in 2000, and yes they are Asian mfg, but the quality I have received is completely acceptable for the money I have spent. In addition to that, the one time I had a magnetic switch problem on my 1023 cabinet saw (well after the warranty expired) the broken "off button" was replaced free of charge. Grizzly will continue to get my money as long as their customer service remains as it is.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Hood View Post
    It is under warranty....It was bought in February of this year....Yet Delta and the service center are saying that the tool is obsolete already....You may not agree, but I consider that to be, for lack of a better word, BS....
    Hi Clint,

Where did you buy your machine? Just because you bought it in February doesn't mean it was new to the dealers stock. I've seen sales where machines that haven't been made for years are offered for sale. Lower priced machines are dropped from product lines all the time in an effort to keep up with the competitions new and improved. Don't take this to imply that I don't think the customer service you are getting is appalling.