Thread: Woodcraft Pro-Live center set

Woodcraft Pro-Live center set

I am not a woodturner but a woodworker who turns on a Shopsmith lathe for things like cabinet feet or spindles for clock projects etc.. I use a basic live center and drive center. I do not own a chuck (yet) I would like to upgrade a bit. WoodCraft has a live center with interchangeable centers at a good price. Just wondering what you think of this set. Will I find it useful or is it just a bunch of parts I will not find a need for?

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3727

That all depends on what kind of turning you get into. I've had this center for 2 years and have used all but 1 of the centers. Comes in real handy. For basic spindle of face plate turning you present live center will be more than OK...Bill...

Live center?

Some yes, some no. I would like to have some of the parts, (coves,) but would have to turn a lot more than I do to justify the expense. I sounds like you are doing spindle work and Yes some of that would be helpful. It looks like a pro setup, but most guys turning on the larger lathes get by with a point. GO FIGURE!
    Bob

I just bought one about a month ago and have used two so far. I think it is going to be a good unit once I get some time to try them all. So I can say the use I have had so far it is a good unit and I like it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Dave,

I bought that set over a year ago. I have found it to be useful.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have the set and am satisfied. Don't expect it to perform like a One Way set, but it seems to be smooth. I use most of the pieces for different types of turnings including spindle and bowls.

I would put the priority in getting a chuck first, if the existing live center still works. A chuck would open up more turning options and efficiency.

This may be another alternative:
    http://www.osolnikmachinery.com/inde...ROD&ProdID=102
    This Powermatic is the Oneway live center knock off. You can tap 3/4" X 10 and make your own nose cone.
    Gordon

Nova live center

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    I am not a woodturner but a woodworker who turns on a Shopsmith lathe for things like cabinet feet or spindles for clock projects etc.. I use a basic live center and drive center. I do not own a chuck (yet) I would like to upgrade a bit. WoodCraft has a live center with interchangeable centers at a good price. Just wondering what you think of this set. Will I find it useful or is it just a bunch of parts I will not find a need for?

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3727
    I purchased it, then returned it for the Nova live center that was just a little more. The Nova live center set has a few more parts/options and the quality was very nice.

I bought the same set about 4 years ago and it has done everything that I have ask of it. If the bearing ever go bad in it I will buy another on just like. I use it on almost every project I make and I can tell you that it is like Timex, it takes a licking and keeps on ticking<<<<