Thread: Inexpensive HVLP?

Inexpensive HVLP?

Is there an inexpensive HVLP system you guys can recommend? I currently only have a 6 gal pancake compressor and therefore think I need to get a turbine designed system as I do not want to spend money on a bigger compressor at this time.

I mostly will want to just spray water based / oil based stuff, but do think it would be interesting to try latex too.

Any recommendations are welcome!

Thanks!

Adam,
    Here was a recent thread that might be what you looking for.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=80531

Be sure to check out the recent video review of the Earlex sprayer by "The Wood Whisperer" Marc Spagnuolo. Even if you decide not to buy the Earlex, you'll pick up some valuable tips on what to look for in a sprayer.

Based on his review and another from Charles Neil, I'll probably buy the Earlex when I'm ready for a HVLP system.

Adam,
    Depending on what size item you gonna spray, a pancake compressor you can spray most small to medium sized items. If you get a HVLP conversion gun for $20 from HF (#43430 one of the HF gems), you can spray most finishes except lates and oil based primers which are thick. If you want to spray latex and or oil based primners, you need to buy the larger 2.2mm needle to retrofit the gun.

It works well. The $20 standard gun with $20 2.2mm tip can let you start spraying for relatively low cost.

I have used the standard 1.4mm tip for spraying oil based poly and it turned out great.

I was just looking up the item you mentioned on Harbor Freight and it says it is requires 9.5 to 14.8 CFM. My pancake compressor can only put out 2.8 CFM...

Wouldn't that not be enough for the spray gun?

I am interested in using my pancake compressor if it were possible, but it doesn't seem like it is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cavaliere View Post
    Is there an inexpensive HVLP system you guys can recommend? I currently only have a 6 gal pancake compressor and therefore think I need to get a turbine designed system as I do not want to spend money on a bigger compressor at this time.

I mostly will want to just spray water based / oil based stuff, but do think it would be interesting to try latex too.

Any recommendations are welcome!

Thanks!
    Check Harbor Freight, I have heard good things about the one they"re selling. I know I know, but like I said Ive heard good things on this one.
    "You can lead them to Linux
    but you can't make them Think"

Retired and testing my woodworking skills

The item you have listed seems to require too much CFM for my compressor, what about this item? 46719-2VGA

It seems like it might be more what you were talking about.

Also - has anyone used the critter before?

We did a spraying topic at our club a couple months ago and several people brought their guns including two of the 43430's, one older and one newer. The newer one was a different design than the old one. But the old one was obviously identical to the Porter Cable PSH1 which is highly regarded. I've been meaning to head to my HF to see if I can find one of the old ones still on the shelf (or maybe they have dual sources for them?) The old style ones have hook on the top that is a separate piece from the main gun casting.

Anyway, some people have said they've done minor spraying using the PSH1 on a pancake compressor, but a pancake compressor is really too small to do any significant spraying. You might consider one of the less expensive HVLP systems.

I have two of the 43430's from HF and really like the results. I have the stock tip in one and a 2.2mm PSH1 tip in the other. I have a P-C pancake and a 25 gal. Oil-less compressor (my two NOISIEST machines). My larger compressor put out 5.7 cfm @ 90 and runs almost constantly if I have large areas to spray. I have used my pancake in the back yard to paint some chairs and it couldn't keep up with the gun. I haven't played around with it much but I found if you reduce the side fan air supply it uses a lot less air.

I'm to the point that I'm either going to get a 3-stage turbine dedicated system or buy a larger compressor.

Mike

HVLP at Harbor Freight

Adam, if you want to use hvlp and don't want to spend a lot of money, take a look at this unit at Harbor Freight.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44677

You will need to play with it a bit as any other tool to get comfortable on its use, also make sure you use it on test boards just to make sure it works as you expect it to work, but you will be amazed how good this product is.

The only draw back I see in this kind of tool is that you can not buy any accessories or parts for it, for the price I don’t think you will find anything better.

And… if you don’t really like it you can always return it.

I decided to pick up the critter and see how it performs. The reviews for it on Amazon are glowing. I guess I'll have to see for myself!

Critter

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cavaliere View Post
    I decided to pick up the critter and see how it performs. The reviews for it on Amazon are glowing. I guess I'll have to see for myself!
    I have one and it works pretty good. One thing I found with the critter is to play with the air pressure and run it as low as what will provide adequate atomization. Higher air pressure=more overspray. Can't beat the clean up on the critter.

HTH

Curt

Another option is to keep an eye on the "^bay" as there are some relatively inexpensive turbine-based units on there ocassionally. For a spray setup it really seems to be one of those "you get most of what you pay for" scenarios. For my $$, if I have gone top shelf with tools, materials and time on a project the thought of approaching it with anything less than quality finishing products / tools doesn't make much sense to me.

Edit: If you are looking at the "Critter" you might also consider looking at the small (non HVLP) touchup gun that Jeff Jewitt sells. It seems that I end up mentioning this gun every post I make about spray setups but it has really become a go-to gun for quick and small jobs. It gives you fluid and fan adjustment on the gun and the feed-pressure can be regulated at the source.
    Last edited by Larry Fox; 05-29-2008 at 11:28 AM.