Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: HD & Bessey

Cool HD & Bessey

I've been reading, with interest, the numerous posts about a lot of folks scoring some good deals on the K-Body's at HD. Now I'm reading those same posts with a certain amount of envy! I swung over a few miles out of my way this afternoon and stopped out our HD. Headed straight over toward the tools and, as I swung around the corner, I saw the Bessey's with these bright yellow tags. I thought, "Yeah! Awright!" Only one 24" (which is the main ones I was looking for...), but I figured I'd grab it and a few of the longer ones. Then I noticed the price tags. $34.95 for the 24"!!! Say what?! I found a clerk and asked him about the "yellow tags", figuring that maybe it would get marked down at the register. Wrong again! He checked on the computer and said that's the price. Just for the heck of it, I walked on over to the Service Desk and inquired there. The lady tells me the yellow tags are for closeout items. I asked again if the price indicated was the "closeout price". Affirmative! I said that's ridiculous, as I can buy those any day of the week cheaper than that. She said she'd check and walked over, grabbed the 24 and said she'd look up their "regular" price. She said that the $34.95 was their regular price, as well. It's tagged yellow, because they're closing them out and won't be carrying them anymore. Huh??? I says, "So why the blaring yellow tag?" She tells me, "Well, because we're closing them out."

Hmmmm....The way I see it, the owners/management of this particular HD are trying to rip off the public with less than honorable marketing. People see the yellow tags, are told they're "closeout priced" and they buy them, only to put maximum profits in the pockets of the owner(s). I guess it's their business and that's the way they want to run it. I left my cart sitting there, took my list of other items I wanted to pick up and went over to the local Menard's. At least there, when they "closeout" an item, it's priced as such! Too bad, too. We're doing a lot of remodeling around here and will need a bunch more stuff. Looks like HD will be the last place this dude goes for them! Rant mode: "Off". Thanks for letting me spew for a bit. Now, out to the shop!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

John, I checked my local HD today. They had a few 50's, for $40, but I didn't bite. I had the luck a few weeks ago to use the Lowes 10% price match with a Farm&Fleet ad to get 50's for $34

Spence

The yellow tag indicates that the item has gone into 'Clearance' status. The price does not immediately drop. Eventually the price will come down... the timing and $ amount are decided by the home office. The status just indicates to the people who order them whether or not they can order them or how they can order them. It is not intended to 'maximize profits' by cheating customers. I don't know where you shop, but I would change because you seem to think that everybody is dishonest. The help and the clerks are not the ones to make the decisions about what is clearanced or what the set price is. They would have been more correct to say that the yellow tag means that they won't carry them anymore.

John,
    Ya have to be careful with the yellow stickers. I knew a gentleman that worked there and he explained it to me. There are two types of yellow stickers. One has the price only - these are items that are not being reordered. The sticker is for their benefit for identification as well as making you take notice. The second type of yellow sticker has the "closeout" price - and in a smaller font the original price. These are for items they want to get rid of quickly - usually they have a kickback from the manufacturer which allows them to drop the price so low. For example, Lowes (they do the same thing) had a price on a 16" scrollsaw of $59. It was tagged yellow but without the "original price". Last Friday I walked by the display - down to $33 with the original price in the corner of the tag. Now I know it's not variable speed nor a very big unit, but it does the job for little puzzles etc.

Wes

PS: Did you catch the stealth gloat!?

Hi John, where is that Senator Proxmire when you need him. Sounds like somebody is out of sync with the home office.

I can't say that I understand what they are doing in your HD. The HDs around here have the current/closeout price in big print on the end of the clamp rack. No guess work involved. I went to 3 HD branches on Sunday and they all had the closeout prices clearly marked.

Illegitamus non carborundum!
    Best Regards, Ken

John, I just picked up 4 40's tonight for $33.00 each at H.D. I don't know if this is a great deal but it is a mark down. What they typicaly do is have a schedule where items are marked down over a period of weeks until they are gone. I've seen them mark 10% off for a few weeks and then 25% off...etc. You take your chances by waiting around, but sometimes it pays off.....I'm going to keep watching. The 24" clamps were $25.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Bischel
    John,
    Ya have to be careful with the yellow stickers. I knew a gentleman that worked there and he explained it to me. There are two types of yellow stickers. One has the price only - these are items that are not being reordered. The sticker is for their benefit for identification as well as making you take notice. The second type of yellow sticker has the "closeout" price - and in a smaller font the original price. These are for items they want to get rid of quickly - usually they have a kickback from the manufacturer which allows them to drop the price so low. For example, Lowes (they do the same thing) had a price on a 16" scrollsaw of $59. It was tagged yellow but without the "original price". Last Friday I walked by the display - down to $33 with the original price in the corner of the tag. Now I know it's not variable speed nor a very big unit, but it does the job for little puzzles etc.

Wes

PS: Did you catch the stealth gloat!?
    Yes, as a matter of fact! I did catch that little stealth action going on there! Congrats! If it's something you use very little and/or just for little projects, you got yourself a steal!

Other than that, I'm starting to gather that various HD's do business different than the one near us. Don't get me wrong; I've gotten some decent deals there, but it's most definitely, "Buyer beware" at this location! I imagine the clerks aren't really made aware of what's really going on and, for what most of them get paid, well...I'm not sure I blame them for not trying to find out. Guess I've just been spoiled by the "other" big box(s) in town that actually mark products down for a "closeout". If this one would've even taken the 10% markdown off their regular price, I wouldn't have a gripe. Still wouldn't have bought them at 10% off, but could say they were making an effort to present a closeout item at a reduced price.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

I checked a couple of the Depot's here and they only had 50" clamps, with no special markings. I usually only go to the depot as a last resort, or if I need lumber when it is raining. Typically shop Menards and keep the money in-state. I'll stick to buying my clamps on the web.

They did the same thing with a Milwaukee Jig saw that I bought... It was $139 when I bought it and then a couple of months go by and it had the Yellow sticker... I was curious and noticed that it was still $139, but with a yellow sticker... Just goes to show you that you have to know your prices before you plunk down your bucks...

-Michael
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

John,
    As a rule, I don't do business with Da Depot. I can't stand the chaotic/frenetic atmosphere there, and when you need an emloyee to assist you, you can neve get one - theyre always rushing around like there's something more important going on than helping you. Plus they treat their employees and suppliers like crap.

I prefer to go to Lowe's where it's a better envoronment, more helpful and friendly and generally better stocked.

Maurice

PS: did you know that most of the merchandise in the Depots isn't owned by HD? It's actually owned by the suppliers until it is sold by HD. That's how they seem to grow enormously and put one up on every street corner. Oh, and I'm not that crazy about orange either.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Ungaro
    PS: did you know that most of the merchandise in the Depots isn't owned by HD? It's actually owned by the suppliers until it is sold by HD. That's how they seem to grow enormously and put one up on every street corner. Oh, and I'm not that crazy about orange either.
    Maurice, now that's an interesting insight! With that thought in mind, I can't help but wonder why Bessey will no longer be represented there!

I wish we had a Lowe's locally. the closest one to me is across the border, about 1-1/2 hours away. HD is also close to an hour, but I can usually plan ahead enough and stop on the way home from work. For whatever reason, I heard that Lowe's isn't "allowed" a presence in Wisconsin! Something about there being Menard's and HD here already. Too bad, because I agree: The trip we did take to Lowe's was pretty positive. And I'm with you on the orange color, too! Yuck.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Maurice, now that's an interesting insight! With that thought in mind, I can't help but wonder why Bessey will no longer be represented there!
    I've not heard that about HD not actually owning the inventory...and if it's true of some things (lumber, for instance), it's hard to believe that it holds for the entire store inventory. If it does, however, that may be the precise reason thr clamp people are pulling out....all the internet fueled clamp orgies and price matching have finally started to hurt.

KC

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    I wish we had a Lowe's locally.
    Not a whole lot of difference with Lowes, in my experience; even poorer selection of the things I buy at home centers than the 'Depot. Most of the time, I now buy construction materials at the local full-service lumber yard at about the same prices...for much better quality stuff. I reserve the home centers for weekend purchases when the other places are closed and for when I need a larger variety of do-dads in one place for time savings.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Not a whole lot of difference with Lowes, in my experience; even poorer selection of the things I buy at home centers than the 'Depot. Most of the time, I now buy construction materials at the local full-service lumber yard at about the same prices...for much better quality stuff. I reserve the home centers for weekend purchases when the other places are closed and for when I need a larger variety of do-dads in one place for time savings.
    Jim, I can't make a real qualified comparison with Lowes, as I've only taken the road trip once. I do, however, agree on the lumber yard thing, but again, only to a degree. You're right that the quality is usually a bit higher. But, out in this neck 'o the woods, it's not unusual for pricing to be as much as 50% higher for many of the items, some of which, are exact same brand, etc.! When I was looking to purchase some 3/4" mdf for my vacuum press, I checked with no less than four local yards. Not a one of them carried it in stock (any quantity!), it was a week to 10-day order/delivery period and pricing was roughly 30% higher! I don't know if it's global, but the yards around here seem to primarily cater to pro builders with operating hours to match. The builders are also given pro discounts, which gives them the incentive to go there. Those of us doing non-construction work for a living are pretty much s.o.l. if we need material for evening or weekend work, 'cuz a number of them close at 5:00pm and have super-short morning hours on the weekends, if at all. And then, we pay a premium. Again, I favor keeping my $$ spent local, but I *really* favor trying to keep as much of my hard earned $$ where it belongs: In my pocket!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Don't get me wrong, John...I do check prices. Fortunately, the local yard is very reasonably priced on some things...windows, studs, etc. But you are correct about the sheet goods. They are not even close to HD on things like MDF and birch ply!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...