Thread: Shaker-Style Eye Candy...

Shaker-Style Eye Candy...

A few years ago when I was hanging around a Pond instead of a Creek, I posted the following link: http://www.delnero.com/ss/index.htm
    It's a slide show from Delnero Fine Furniture showing how they made one of their entertainment centers.

If you like heavily figured cherry and some nice birdseye maple, you have to see this slide show. Some of the construction techniques might be different than what you're used to (i.e. a lot of screws - you'll see), but the end product is turly awesome!!!

Sorry if you've seen this before. I totally forgot about the link and just saw it again. I thought I would post it here for your viewing pleasure.

Enjoy

Jason

P.S. Here's a teaser pic...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow is all I can say--even with all those screws. They sure make it look easy.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Don't mind the screws. Saw an exhibit of Sam Maloof pieces at the Smithsonian Institute a couple years ago; he wasn't opposed to metal fastners at all, when they were appropriate.

I would be interested to hear others opinion on whether those sides/shelves have any room to expand or contract given that the shelves are anchored in with screws.

Stu

Jason,

For a moment I thought that was one of your fine creations. Something you whipped up this past Saturday.
    Jim Stastny ~ Damascus, Maryland
    A poor workman blames his tools

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Jason,

That was very interesting, all 64 slides of it! I bookmarked it for future reference.

I wonder, couldn’t they have used pocket screws on the sides instead?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Bruce, that's a good sugestion. I suppose the pockets would show on the inside though. I guess it's a trade off. Either the plugs are going to show or the pockets will show. I would opt for neither and just let the glue do the trick. I'll cross that bridge when I get that much curly cherry and birdseye maple!

Jason,
    Interesting site...construction methods leave me a little flat. Too many screws...can't imagine it not sounding like the 4th of July. The wood grain is a little too confusing for my taste also.

Thoms. Moser is more of what I like. I just got his new catalog and I have to tell ya...it's my favorite catalog. It blows away all the rest....

http://www.thomasmoser.com/home/index.php
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Glen, I agree with your comments on the joinery. Strange to say the least. And I couldn't agree with you more when it comes to the Dr. White's chest or anything else by Moser. I just got their latest catalogue as well. I agree, this one blows all the others away. I love the custom pieces that they profile in the beginning. Some of their new pictures are wonderful, like page 52.

We have a Moser store in Chicago and a number of months ago my wife and I blew an hour or so just hanging out. The manager was great and singled me out as a woodworker by the way I was examining all the joinery on the Dr. W chest She told me that David Letterman has a handful of them, along with an assortment of other items in his house. Pretty cool.

I was just in NYC and was going to check out the store there but there was a war protest going on that day and I didn't want to get in the mix. Besides, I had a lot of pizza to eat before coming back to woes of deep-dish.

Great call on the catalogue though. I couldn't agree more!!!

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Tuinstra
    Bruce, that's a good sugestion. I suppose the pockets would show on the inside though. I guess it's a trade off. Either the plugs are going to show or the pockets will show. I would opt for neither and just let the glue do the trick. I'll cross that bridge when I get that much curly cherry and birdseye maple!
    Pocket screws may be filled with the right-sized dowel. Kreg also sells pieces to fill them in.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.