Thread: Metabo Powermaxx Plus cordless drill driver??

Metabo Powermaxx Plus cordless drill driver??

Rockler is advertising a metabo powermaxx plus cordless drill driver, 4.8v, that weighs in at +/- 1.5#, is only about 6" long and features an angle drilling/driving ability. The intended use is primarily as a lightweight power screwdriver and for drilling holes up to 1/4". The internet price is $79, but I can shave $10 off that with a private coupon from the store manager.

I have arthritic hands that make holding my heavier 14.4v drill uncomfortable for more than a few minutes, so this smaller unit appeals to me, but I am not familiar with the Metabo brand and have not actually held this one in my own hands. I need to head either north or south tomorrow to do some shopping for other things. North takes me near Rockler. South takes me to my favorite restaurant. Based on your experience with either the brand or with this particular tool, should I go north?
    "God does not deduct from a man's lifespan the time spent fishing."

Go for it, you'll love it. I own a Powermax and use it constantly. It fits the hand very well. Plenty of power for driving screws. OK at drilling but the speed is a little slow.

I'm with Ken,

I bought three of them for work, they have a really nice feel in your hand and the right angle attachmet can be real handy. I think you'll like the Metabo.

Good Luck,
    Curt

Metabo is great gear.

Let me take a guess, and speculate the reason for the good price reduction on it is because Metabo is about to switch it to a lithium ion battery. I wouldn't be surprised to find out they are trying to get rid of the present stock. I have tried it at shows, and it is a nice product.

Rick Potter

Powermaxx is already lithium in Europe:
    http://www.metabo.co.uk/Product-cata...4dcb33c.0.html

Had the older ni-cad Poweremaxx for a couple days but returned it and got the Bosch GSR 10.8 lithium model which I found more comfortable and has more grunt. The newer Powermaxx certainly looks more comfortable than the older model.

Blog Entries
    I use mine primarily as a driver. I've found that it lacks the raw power to really handle any serious drilling, but that's why I have a drill press anyways.

I too have one, bought it at Rockler about 3 months ago. Yes, there is a newer model, was sitting right next to the one I bought. A little larger, and I think a higher voltage.
    Love the one I have, thinking seriously about buying another.
    Light weight, fits the hand nicely, sufficient power for holes and screws.
    Go for it!
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Unless you're going to be using it pretty often (i.e. at least every other day) I'd recommend NOT to get a new cordless tool that is not Li-Ion. The fact that the charge doesn't decay while it is on the shelf is such a bonus. Just don't look at the price as much.

I bought the little Milwaukee 12 V Li-Ion driver a couple months ago, and I quite like it. (no right angle attachment that I know of though)

Thanks to all.

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.
    "God does not deduct from a man's lifespan the time spent fishing."

Not sure about the name 'Powermax', but I have the Metabo Powergrip, which I believe is the same tool. Great ergonomics in the hand, but its uses are limited to screw driving, with occasional light drilling. Good torque for such a small package.
    But like the other stated, you may want to wait for, or look at getting one of the Lithium-Ion versions. I just got the Bosch I-Driver and it is the cats meow.
    Love that articulating head.