Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Scam ?? What do you think?

A Scam ?? What do you think?

I sell woodpens on the web.

Got this today. Edited to remove real names.

------------------
    recipientPete@subjectWoodPenMan
    contact Responseemaildddd@gggg.com
    first_naChin Lee
    last_naLeeaddressgggggggg
    cityCauseway Bay
    stateHong Kong
    zip_code00000
    phone_no25555555
    TextDear Mr. Simmons, Hello and Greetings from Hong Kong. I am interested in the following pens what I have seen on your web site.
    Please advise whether you can ship to Hong Kong (by USPS Global Priority Mail).
    I am intersted to get fountain pens in these 4 woods, all made to the same size/style. (1) Morton Bay Fig (2) Bethelem Olivewood (3) Timeless Timber Bird Eye Maple (4) Ancient Kauri If at all possible, I would very much like to get all 4 pens in the Statesman style (any finish - Ti-Gold, Platinum or Rhodium) Please let me know the possibility and the pricing. Best Wishes, GGGG

--------------------

What do you think?

Maybe I will sell him one pen and see how that goes. If all goes well then the other 3.

I am afraid of chargebacks either via CC or Paypal.

What is a safe payment method short of a gold coin in a blank envelope.

I have shipped to 3 or 4 countries with no problems but this one worries me.

Blog Entries
    The word choice leads me to believe it's Nigerian, not Chinese. Asians have a much different twist on English...

Have you looked at the full IP address of the email? That would be more telling.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Normally if you have to second guess yourself it is for a reason.

I never, NEVER, NEVER ignore a gut feeling or instinct. If something looks suspicious it is.

That said it could be a good deal, just make sure you get some kind of protected payment, cleared first.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

In a previous venture, I shipped to about 40 countries and I shipped quite a few packages to Hong Kong. Remember, Hong Kong is an international city and there are loads of English, Australian, and other's from all over the world working there. They usually seemed to be in the financial industry and have plenty of money to spend.

It didn't read like a scam to me. You can always tell him the pens will ship after payment has cleared. You can even have him wire the money directly to your account, but it'll probably cost him a fair amount to do that.

With things like Internet Telephony, I'd get the guy's phone number and give him a call. Will cost you less than $5 to speak to him directly.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Sell Pre-paid...

I would sell him whatever he wants a s long as the payment cleared my bank.

I also agree that if it does not feel right, then do not do it.

I hope it works out for you.

One other thought on the source. If you right click on the email and select View Source, you will see the routing. Maybe you could trace the source that way.

Pre-pay clarification

I guess I should have mentioned that by Pre-Pay I was thinking a cashier's check or money order that proves the payment is good.

Very interesting. I'd say 50-50. Give him pricing and terms, make sure he knows payment has to clear, and see what he says.

Be aware that cashiers checks and money orders are often fake too and it takes the bank some time to find out that the paper is worthless - then they take it out of your account to cover the loss. Wire funds directly to your account is probably safest way.

Seems that a lot of us have been getting these odd quote requests from foreign "buyers". Hope the SMC email/contact lists haven't been compromised in some way?
    A Stone Canvas
    60w VY-TEK FX/2, Adobe Illustrator/ Photoshop Elements, Corel X4, Photograv 3.0, Sandcarving, Stage Blasting, Stained Glass, Scrimshanding, all mobile studio.

looks like too much detail for a scam. they don't usually want some many different things and don't specify so many options.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Pen Order

Thanks for all the info.

I have communicated via email several times with the person. I do not think it is a scam. I am going to go ahead with Paypal .

We set up a payment method for the order with a deposit.

I will keep you posted.

Like most here, I get a lot of the scammer emails, but this one doesn't seem like what we normally see. Generally they appear to be a generic cut and paste type email, but from the looks of yours, it sounds like he actually spent some time looking through your website. If it were me, I'd treat him as a genuine prospect until you have reason to doubt him.

btw, cashier checks and money orders are easy to forge. You'll be ale to cash them, but once they're determined to be a forgery, you'll be held liable. There's all sorts of information about it on the internet.
    ULS M-360 35W, Corel X3

Just FYI: the Hong Kong phone prefix is 852. They have no postal code.

I would think PayPal is your safest way to go, since they have to basically transfer the funds from a bank account.

I wonder what makes your pens so different from any he could get there? No offense, but it seems like there must be a million businesses in Hong Kong and with all the Chinese lasers being sold, why wouldn't he have a closer place to get them? Of course, there is the "exotic" factor... I know a lot of Chinese who prefer to buy American because they think it's better, and it is!

my two cents, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Special Woods

Dee:

I bet they do not have Timeless Timber ( First cut virgin forest of the USA ) or a Morton Bay Fig tree that Tom Edison planted?

I see, said the blind man... and spectacularly beautiful they are, too! I get a lot of pen catalogs, but yours are unique and you are right, it's all about the wood. Very nice work!

So back to your guy, I hope he is legit and now seeing what he ordered, it is not likely he could find them anywhere else. Collectors go where the goods are.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Good Wood

You know what pen turners say?

"Good wood does NOT grow on trees. You have to go out and find it!"