Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!!! New jointer shuts down after start up

HELP!!!! New jointer shuts down after start up

I just bought a GO586 from Grizzly. I didn't have 220V in my garage so I had a friend of mine that does electrical work put it in for me. He installed a 30 amp circuit and used 12 gauge wire but I can't get the jointer up and running. It will start for a second and then shut down. A couple of times it has tripped the breaker. We had a 20 amp circuit installed but the jointer would trip the breaker everytime with it so we switched to the 30 amp. What's going on?!?!?! I was counting on this thing to be up and running this weekend. I've got three jobs I'm working on and I can't do a thing without the jointer working.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A 30 amp circuit requires #10 wire. I dont know if this fixes your problem or not.

Phil

Why then when we had the 20 amp circuit would it not even start? Sorry for the dumb questions, I am not very savvy when it comes to electrical.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

meter

check with a meter to see if you get 220 volts.did he pick the lines from both legs.30 amp does require 10 gage wire.

It should start though.

With the 12 gauge wire. It wouldn't account for current problem. The catalog says the jointer can run 110 or 220 volts and is pre wired for 220. One thing you could do is to of course check the wiring and make sure it is in the 220 configuration but then wire it to to 110 and check it out to see if you have a viable piece of equipment and motor. You would have to bypass the switch that came with it as it states it is for 220V only. If it works with 110 maybe you could run some of your must do stuff through it before you go back to problem solving. Good luck.

Larry Rasmussen
    Seattle
    Last edited by Larry Rasmussen; 05-10-2008 at 8:39 PM.

My bad, he ran #10 wire with the 30 amp. He checked the outlet to make sure we were getting enough power and it checked out. Do you think there is something wrong with the jointer? I've noticed that the power cord is really warm even after just running for a second. My friend was surprised that the cord was so small. He thought that it was too little for 220V.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Grizzly web site calls it a 2HP motor. That should translate to 10-12 amps on a 220 circuit. Check the dataplate on your motor and see what it says. Also, like Jim suggests, verify that you actually have 220-240 volts at the outlet

If the voltage and the 2HP is correct, it should have run quite comfortably on a 20 amp circuit. If it's tripping a 20 amp breaker, and especially a 30 amp breaker, there's something defective in the motor. Get on the phone to Grizzly.

As others have said, if you've got 12ga wire in the wall, replace the 30amp breaker with a 20 amp unit. That jointer should be quite happy on a 220v/20 amp circuit.

Relative to the "small cord". Conductor size is based on amperage not voltage.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Veatch View Post
    The Grizzly web site calls it a 2HP motor. That should translate to 10-12 amps on a 220 circuit. Check the dataplate on your motor and see what it says. Also, like Jim suggests, verify that you actually have 220-240 volts at the outlet

If the voltage and the 2HP is correct, it should have run quite comfortably on a 20 amp circuit. If it's tripping a 20 amp breaker, and especially a 30 amp breaker, there's something defective in the motor. Get on the phone to Grizzly.

As others have said, if you've got 12ga wire in the wall, replace the 30amp breaker with a 20 amp unit. That jointer should be quite happy on a 220v/20 amp circuit.

Relative to the "small cord". Conductor size is based on amperage not voltage.
    I am getting enough voltage at the outlet, my buddy checked that when he was here. There is 10ga wire in the wall with the 30amp breaker. When I turn the machine on it either trips the breaker or runs for a second and then shuts down. If the breaker isn't tripped there is still power coming to the machine because the light is still on but the motor won't start. Pushing the reset button will reset everything but it just goes back to tripping the breaker or running for a second and shutting down. It's staring to sound like I got a bad apple. Has anyone had to return something to Grizzly? Will they ship a new one out pronto or will they wait until they get this one back?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Russell,

Are you running it at 220 or 110 vac?

According to the manual, it draws 12 amps at 220 and 24 amps at 120.
    If you are running it at 220, Grizzley recommends a 15 amp breaker. If you are running it at 120, they recommend a 30 amp breaker.

If you are running it at 120, the magnet switch must be replaced.

If you are running it at 220 the 30 amp breaker should not trip and something is wrong. Get an electrician to check out your wiring.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Russell,

Grizzley is known for good customer service. The owner is a member here and has stepped in on occasion to see that somebody got the service they deserve.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Russell,

Are you running it at 220 or 110 vac?

According to the manual, it draws 12 amps at 220 and 24 amps at 120.
    If you are running it at 220, Grizzley recommends a 15 amp breaker. If you are running it at 120, they recommend a 30 amp breaker.

If you are running it at 120, the magnet switch must be replaced.

If you are running it at 220 the 30 amp breaker should not trip and something is wrong. Get an electrician to check out your wiring.
    Ken, it's running at 220V. For all intensive purposes the guy that helped me out is an electrician and he checked out the wiring inside the machine. Taking into account everything you guys have told me it sounds like something is wrong with the jointer. I'll call Grizzly first thing on Monday and see what they say. I'm hoping that they will send me a new machine asap. I've got three jobs in the waiting that are now at a stand still.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

12. If you're running it at 220, try taking the belts off so there's no load on the motor. If it still trips the breaker, either the motor is defective or your friend wired something up wrong.

Ask you friend to wire motor direct to plug and try it...

Sounds like the motors jumpers are not wired corectly or could be a bad switch as they dont use the best switchs and wires..

You may want to replace the wire and plug as I have dound this to be a week link with my import machines and well worth spending $10 to keep it running a few years longer..
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

I know that the motor is supposed to come wired for 220 but did you check to see if it actually is??? It may have been set up for 110. Just a guress don't really know if it were wired for 110 and if it was plugge into 220 how it would react...

Quote Originally Posted by Thad McCulloch View Post
    If you're running it at 220, try taking the belts off so there's no load on the motor. If it still trips the breaker, either the motor is defective or your friend wired something up wrong.
    I took the belts off and the same thing happened. It ran for a second and then shut down. It still has power but the motor won't run. Wouldn't you know it...my first piece of Grizzly machinery and I happen to get a lemon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]