Thread: Don't do this ( or at least don't be surprised...)

Red face Don't do this ( or at least don't be surprised...)

by the results if You do. I've been using a 1/2" SuperCut premium gold bandsaw blade for resawing. It's been working great-no drift,easy feed, pretty smooth result. We had a corkscrew willow lose a big branch this winter in an ice storm. I kept one straight piece to play with. I tried slabbing it with the SuperCut blade. Didn't work worth crap which was no real surprise seeing as the piece was still pretty wet. However, I just tried resawing a dry piece of 2X4 just to see. It no longer cuts with no drift and seems harder to feed. Just an example of what can cause blade drift. I think it's time to order another blade or two from Idaho.. I'll keep this blade for general cutting and curves, it still cuts smooth but its resawing days are behind it.

2. Please excuse my ignorance.

To what do you contribute the demise of a good bandsaw blade. It does not sound to me as though you did anything that would destroy a blade's cutting characteristics.

Bark is the usual culprit. I'm not certain, but I've assumed that it has dirt in it.

Pete

Wet wood is much more stressful on a blade since it moves during the cut. Some manufacturers have blades formulated specifically for wet cutting, such as Suffolk's Timberwolf AS series.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Curt

All bandsaw blades are made to do certain tasks and as you have found out cutting wet wood is one of the most stressful on a blade as Jim has stated. I'm still searching for the perfect blade for cutting wet wood. I have used many different ones but I still find that the best one is mounted on my 036 stihl chain saw. I rough out the log and let it dry for some time before I try to dimension it on the bandsaw. Thanks for the post and if you do find a solution please post it . I'm going to try Jim's suggestion next time I buy some blades. I have found it difficult to get custom lengths with some of the speciality blades.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Wet wood is much more stressful on a blade since it moves during the cut. Some manufacturers have blades formulated specifically for wet cutting, such as Suffolk's Timberwolf AS series.
    Suffolk/Timberwolf is one source, I believe Highland Woodworking offers a turner's bandsaw blade for wet wood as well.

If if didn't dull on some dirt somewhere, is it possibly that it picked up enough pitch to cause the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Cannon View Post
    If if didn't dull on some dirt somewhere, is it possibly that it picked up enough pitch to cause the problem?
    I don't really know what caused the problem-I'm inclined to think the set got messed up somehow. The blade still cuts okay, but it won't cut without drift anymore which is why I suspect the set may be messed up. There was some wet wood on some of the tooth points but didn't really notice any sap.