Thread: Dashboard

Dashboard

I need to do some samples for a custom car shop. They are looking for some guages, symbols, text, etc that you would see on a dash. They are customizing a Mercedes Mayback. They are also looking for me to reverse engrave. Not sure what they mean yet. They would like me to cut and engrave borders around these instruments so they can backlight it. t

wow, do you know what a Maybak is worth? That would be a fun project.
    Epilog mini 24 with 45 watts
    X3
    More wood working tools then I deserve

You need to use the Rowmark reverse engraveable laminates , clear thickish front and a cap that is engraved from behind - you get em in matte and clear finishes , I suggest the matte finish. You can fill the engraving with transluscent paints used on glass for various colours , this is easily backlit for some stunning effects.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Reverse engraving is when you mirror the engraving and engrave on the backside. It can be done on anything where the engraving is visible on the other side, such as reverse engravable plastic or acrylic.
    ULS M-360 35W, Corel X3

dash

They are looking for me to do this sample on painted acrylic. I know it is a very expensive car, I already have done some leather engraving for the interior with this persons logo for this same car. I am looking for some instuments to engrave, like guages or switches.

I would google speedo gauges for what you need. I do dash panels for motor coaches and some of them are standard engraving and others are reverse engraved from the back. I would look at using transparent colored film instead of filling for changing colors of lights. Cleaner and no bubbles. I would be sure and use his logo on your test piece, I have used Imagicor a couple of times and it turns out wonderful.
    Sandee Force

A few dollars spent contributing to SMC will save you hundreds of dollars in time and materials.

I do boat dashes and have had great luck laminating .030" burl wood onto a backer substrate and then engraving. I've also engraved the thin acrylic and then vacuum pressed it onto compound curved surfaces with some heat assist. Nice effect.

Pinnacle ZX Explorer II
    40W, X3
    Vinyl Express Lynx 24"
    Epson 4800 Dye Sub Hybrid

It's a Maybach
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290