Thread: used cu410 elite

used cu410 elite

Hi everyone. It's been a while since I have posted. Had some health problems with a family member. Anyway to my question, I have found a very lightly used Minimax CU410 elite combination machine for sale. I can get it for just over half the price of a new one and it has less that 50 hours of use on it.

I was going to buy a new slider or combo unit at IWF, but this might be a deal that's hard to pass up. I was just curious as to how many of you have purchased some of your equipment used and how did it turn out?

I am due to get more pics and info on the machine ,but from what I have seen it's a cherry.

Thanks,
    Chris

If you have the need, room and $ I would go for it. That is one awesome hunk of metal.
    David B

Buying Used Machinery

I've bought used machines and had both good luck with some machines and also buyer's remorse with some others.

The machine that I wasn't really happy with was my bandsaw that I bought from a local dealer who services and carries used equipment. In retrospect, I significantly overpaid for the machine. It's a good saw, but it still needs some work today to run without vibration and I could have bought a new saw for everything I've put into it.

IMO, the key to buiying a used machine is to make sure that it's running well and hasn't been used hard. I don't think I can say that about my bandsaw.

I'd feel pretty comfortable with a machine that only has 50 hours of use on it, especially something like a Minimax Elite. Pricing is something you'll have to figure out on your own.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Speaking as a Moderator, please make sure that any replies to this thread stay away from pricing issues per the new policy that Keith announced this past weekend. You can find that policy here.

Replies need to stick to the topic of potential pitfalls of buying used machinery.

Rob

A lightly used Euro machine like that at the cost level you indicate is pretty much a steal...especially since they tend to hold their value a lot more than more mass market tools. 'Suggest you jump on it before someone else does...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I own a 410 elite that I bought in late 2006. It has more than the 50 hours you mention and I would be happy to be a buyer of mine at the price you mention. No harm has come to the machine in that time, and if the owner of your prospect has treated his the same as I have, you should have no issues. However, if it were I, I'd hire a knowledgeable professional machine repair person and pay him his hourly rate to inspect the machine for me. Also, be sure to use the services of someone careful and knowledgeable in moving the machine. Get yourself some of the recommended calibrating tools to check for run-out, alignment, etc. The tools are not expensive. The 410 has a 16-inch jointer/planer and I have never used its full capacity. But the longer bed is nice to have for longer boards.

Thanks for the information guys. Turns out after a little investigating and talking to Sam at MM the machine has been disassembled at least once in it's life to place it in a basement. I would have to assume it was disassembled to remove it from the basement as well.

I think I will leave this one alone. It just reinforces my fear of buying large equipment used. I had a slider on hold for IWF anyway. I"ll just look at combo units there and see if anything looks like a fit.

Not to change subjects, but I've been gone for a while and see the advertising, which is fine. Just wondering if I could still donate to become a contributor.

Thanks,
    Chris

Donate away, Chris. You do get access to some things by donating.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.