Thread: First turning photos

First turning photos

I made this for my better half. It's bubinga wood 5 1/4" wide bowl is 2" tall and ring holder is 3 3/4" tall, finished with gloss wax. Tell me what ya think.P1000389.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

First turning, or first photos of your turning?

Looks pretty nice. Tough shape if that is your first turning.
    -------------

"Just a little bit of a curve will add to its fondleability." - John H.

Nice turning, but something vaguely disturbing about the overall shape. Must be a Freudian thing.
    Richard in Wimberley

Tim that is a great first turning. I am sure she will love and cherish it. Well done for a first.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Tim - very nice turning! Beautiful wood, unique form and a warm finish! I am sure it made a wonderful gift! Looking forward to seeing some more of your work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

the wood looks neat, that looks kinda like a saucer with dommed lid from the ugly turnings post if you know what i mean, i like the form but for future refrence, the ring holder doesnt need to be higher than the rest of the peice, it just starts to look weird
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

or more so as a bowl it would have been nice, nice job of turning nice bit of wood, the thing is that a ring is a small item, so the rest of the bowl is wasted and if you did use it, then you would cover the rings, most ring holders are a lot smaller turning and given a more delicte feel to them, the size of this could be, well it looks like what we put under the bed years ago for night use but you would get a dam hell of a surprise if you sat on that, it is one of the more strange turnings i have seen, to be honest i would have left it as a bowl with out the centre ring piece. Look don't get mad get even As long as you like what you done is the main factor, anyway mine is just but one thought . Geoff

Different, and I like pieces in that catagory. The wood is beautiful. I bet it was difficult to sand.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Thanks for the input guys. She has a bowl of similar design now but it's only 3" across and 2" tall and its over flowing with in my opinion CRAP, rings bracelets neclaces etc. I made the ring holder tall so she won't have to DIG as much. Sanding and finish was actually very easy 80, 100, 220, 320 wax, done. I've just started turning about 2 mo, ago so I know I have a lot to learn, but it is something I REALLY enjoy doing.

I like the design. I'd make one myself but my girlfriend doesn't wear a lot of rings. It's hard to tell from the pic but did you get some tearout? If so, I've had this problem too and took the advice I got here:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...dgrain+tearout
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...tearout&page=2

I applied watco oil than did light cuts with the skew in forward and than reverse than did the same thing with sandpaper....progressing to finer grits.....no more tearout!!
    Gregg Feldstone

11. Tim Lesak

I will tell you what I think Tim. I think you did a teriffic job . Looks like that wood was worked over with a skew. Keep turning Tim and good luck. Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Lesak View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. She has a bowl of similar design now but it's only 3" across and 2" tall and its over flowing with in my opinion CRAP, rings bracelets neclaces etc. I made the ring holder tall so she won't have to DIG as much. Sanding and finish was actually very easy 80, 100, 220, 320 wax, done. I've just started turning about 2 mo, ago so I know I have a lot to learn, but it is something I REALLY enjoy doing.
    Tim if you have only been turning for a couple of months, then yes you have a lot to learn but you are going the right way, it might not be a turning i like but thats only a personal thing. You have pick up well and if you love turning and want to learn more then you have a good chance of being a very accomplished turner, i have seen guys that have done it for a couple of years and you would think they had just started, so way you go, Get yourself some turning vids, there are lots of free if you know where to look or even youtube is a good source, unless you are a member of a club. All the best Geoff