Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My G0490X Showed Up

Blog Entries
    Officially, unless you arrange otherwise, the driver lift-gates the crates to the ground and then, its yours from there. I had FedEx delivery (not arranged by me, just lucky) and called the local office to ask about getting the delivery into the garage. I was told they do offer that service but the guy who was delivering mine would just help me.

I would have never believed a tractor trailer could've backed into my suburbia-ville driveway. He not only did that but maneuvered the liftgate INTO the garage and dropped the crates right where I wanted them. I hope you are as lucky. As soon as you have your shipping number, I would call the local office just to be sure how they will handle your delivery.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I was interested in your DC fixes, but when I left clink on them nothing happens. When i right click on them and try to open them in a new tab it asks for my name and password, but rejects me.

I am currently logged in.
    I don't suppose anyone knows what is going on...

Lifting

To answer Charles' question, my 18 year old son and I were able to pick up the jointer and set it on the stand. It's got some weight to it though so if you've got a weak back better get some additional help.

Congrats on the new machine!

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Officially, unless you arrange otherwise, the driver lift-gates the crates to the ground and then, its yours from there. I had FedEx delivery (not arranged by me, just lucky) and called the local office to ask about getting the delivery into the garage. I was told they do offer that service but the guy who was delivering mine would just help me.

I would have never believed a tractor trailer could've backed into my suburbia-ville driveway. He not only did that but maneuvered the liftgate INTO the garage and dropped the crates right where I wanted them. I hope you are as lucky. As soon as you have your shipping number, I would call the local office just to be sure how they will handle your delivery.
    Just called grizzly and the default service is just to the back of the truck so I had to purchase liftgate service to ensure that at least the boxes will be left on the ground. This isn't feeling like such a great deal anymore with $150 shipping plus $32 liftgate service... especially when my jointer is just going from PA to NJ (1 day transit)... and presumably I'll need to purchase a more industrial size handtruck than what I have...

I guess I'm just a little bitter by comparison as I just had my 400lb 22124 saw delivered by Sears for $65 and didn't have to lift a finger to have it delivered in to my garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Davis View Post
    J... and presumably I'll need to purchase a more industrial size handtruck than what I have...

I'm afraid that even an industrial size hand truck won't move your jointer from the curb to your garage. The driver that delivered my jointer wheeled it into my garage with a pallet jack. Hopefully you'll have a similar experience. If not renting a pallet jack would be the best way to move the jointer.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

G0490 Dust Chute Modification

I got my G0490 in July. The fence was warped and had to be replaced. The infeed table had a dip of about .008 inch and had to be replaced. That was a chore. I ordered the Byrd spiral cutterhead and the shaft was .4 inch too short. I am still waiting for the replacement cutterhead. I did enclose the dust chute using a hardware intensive approach and I offer a photo for your amusement.
    Attached Images Attached Images

G0490 Rigging

Here's a photo of the rig I used to get my G0490 from the garage to the basement via the yard. It's a Chinese garden wagon and a Chinese engine crane. My wife and I handled it with no problems.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mark - nice job closing the dust chute... Wonder why the have the open design to begin with... How did you detect the infeed table dip? (straight-edge and feeler gauges?)

Interesting to see the use of pulleys, hoists, etc... guess it comes down to fundamental physics to gain mechanical advantage (or at least I remember something like that from physics classes)... maybe I'll take a long 8/4 board of padouk and a block of something else as a fulcrum and jump on one end to delicately lever the jointer bed on top of the base... heh... I do have some old barn pulleys and block and tackles that I might attempt use as Glenn did to mount the motor... as for for getting the big crate into the garage from the street I'm thinking that I'll try to get them to lower the crate from the liftgate onto a mobile base or perhaps I'll demolish my home and just rebuild it over the crate.
    Last edited by Charles Davis; 08-25-2008 at 10:45 PM.

I used a straightedge and feeler gauges. I ordered the jointer and a tablesaw at the same time, so I bought a straightedge so I could properly inspect the new tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Davis View Post
    Are two people enough to lift the jointer bed?

Also, I do have extra link belts... I wonder if I should just go ahead and upgrade the stock belt right off the bat like Glenn did above? Any thoughts on others experience would be appreciated.
    I have the King Industrial version of that jointer. The bed is 300+ lbs. Four people is best. I'm using the original belt, haven't felt a need to switch to link belt yet.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up obscenely flat?

Hi Glenn,
    I missed this thread, but have stumbled across it just now.
    I see your patience has been rewarded.
    Congrats on your jointer, that spiral head will serve you well.

Happy jointing,
    Walt
    There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going! WCC

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Crohn's takes guts. WCC

Hi Charles, I assembled my G0490x by myself. It was heavy, but doable. You can lift one end of the bed up on the base and then slide it up and on. Two people would be just fine, though.

I had a problem with my pulley falling off the motor. The first time, I just chalked it up to loose set screws and put it back on with some Loktite. It fell off again shortly after. Turns out those little set screws are difficult to tighten sufficiently. I ordered some stout screws with actual heads on them from McMaster (92635A256) and a 6mm x 1mm hand tap to clean up the holes (8305A17). After dimpling the motor shaft for the new set screws and tightening them up good and tight with some Loktite, I haven't had any more problems.

Blog Entries
    Has it really only been 5 months that I've had this thing. I've gotten so used to it I can hardly remember being without it. It has been a real joy to have around.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I agree Glenn, and I've had it less than you. Your threads were a real help actually! What an excellent machine.