Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I choose a stationary compressor?

How do I choose a stationary compressor?

I'm looking to buy a stationary air compressor for my shop to do various things including running air tools to do body work on a vehicle.

Anything special I should look for in a compressor? I'm thinking one of the 3 HP 60 gallon compressors like the Husky at Home Depot for $399. I believe the Husky is made by Campbell-Hausfield. It does have a cast iron compressor unlike some of the others with aluminum. I believe Sanborn also makes a unit for the same price, but not sure if compressor is cast iron or aluminum.

There is a local company that makes really nice compressors, but they charge over $500 for basically the same as the Husky or Sanbirn unit.

I've looked on Craigslist, but a lot of folks think their compressors are made of gold. Older units that are don't look the best are same price as new. There is one listed now made by a local company for $500 that I am considering. It is a $1200 compressor new and is big enough to run any air tool. Not sure if I want to spend the additional $100 over new or not.

Brian, the local concern or a top line manufacturer's product might look like the Husky, etc., at the 'borg, but they are much better products and worth the extra cost. The better compressors are also easier to repair in the future because the don't cut corners on the plumbing, etc. (Ask Dennis Peacock about his experience with a 'borg compressor...or see if you can find it using the advanced search here at SMC) This is one of the reasons I went with an IR 60 gallon 3hp unit for my own shop. I caught a sale at Tractor Supply for about $500 and couldn't be happier. Note I'm not saying that the Husky, etc., are "bad" machines...just that they are not built to the same quality as those from companies specializing in the trade rather than the mass market.

Oh, and some of those older compressors, despite looking yucky, are darn good machines with high-quality manufacturing. 'Requires some homework, but don't rule them out.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

First gather all your current tools specs!
    Then gather the tool specs of your planned future tools.
    Find out the MAXIMUM CFM that they require (this will most likely be a sander, or grinder/body shaping tool, not a impact)
    Buy a compressor that will exceed that! Cast iron is good, larger tank then expecting, is good (oversize your airlines, and they act as a extra tank, aka 3/4 instead of 1/2), oil lubed is a REQUIREMENT on one of this size. (prolong it by proper maintainence, like a car).
    Twin cylinder is better, but I worked in a garage where we did have/use a single cylinder (effectively homeowner) style. While there are a lot of homeowner ones, there aren't that many run for 40 year style anymore (can be found online and at a few commercial places).

EDIT, Not twin cylinder, TWO STAGE (brain fart). We used a single stage one after a failure of the 40 year old two stage one, since the place had been remodeled, and there was no physical way to get the new two stage (of the same size), in there.
    Last edited by Randal Stevenson; 05-13-2008 at 10:18 AM.

I'm by no means a compressor expert but here's my thoughts:

I currently have a 25 gal. oil-less compressor and a 6-gal. pancake compressor. I use the smaller one probably 95% of the time for my pin/finish/brad/crown stapler-nailers. For automotive and spray gun I use the larger one.

I'm currently looking for a larger compressor too for two reasons: 1) the oil-less compressors are so LOUD! 2) my larger compressor has a 90psi cfm rating of 5.7 and can barely keep up with my HVLP gun.

The Husky you mentioned doesn't have a great rating as far as cfm. I also have been looking at CL and noticed many want new or better prices for their used equipment. Two compressors that caught my eye were at Lowe's. They have a Campbell-Hausfeld 60 gal and 80 gal.. The 60 has a rating of around 11 cfm at 90 but the 80 has around 16. The 80 was $650. I read somewhere that you should look for a compressor with a cast iron pump - not aluminum with CI sleeves. One thing to remember is that these larger compressors require 220V power.

I am absolutely going with an oiled compressor. I want one with a motor and belt. There are a few oiled ones that are direct drive.

The C-Aire compressor for $500 is probably one of the best deals I will ever find. It is true 5 HP with a two stage compressor. It also does over 20 SCFM at 90 PSI. C-Aire is a local manufacturer that make some real nice, but expensive compressors.

Brian, the C-Aire is fine and that's a decent compressor especially at that price point. You may want to consider the next one up with a larger tank as you mention the use use of autobody tools.

I have the 60 gal/3HP CH compressor. It hits it's limit pretty often with auto tools. 2-stage is definitely the way to go.
    Jay St. Peter

Only thing I will add is that you will need between 10 - 20cfm to run many autobody tools continuously. They are much worse than woodworking tools since most are open ports and you need to run non-stop. Having tried running one on less than required I can say it is a royal pain to do so.

Brad

I recently replaced a dead 2 horse (real, not borg numbers) Cambell Hausfield which could NOT begin to keep up with automotive air tools, with a Dev-Air (DeVilbiss industrial series) 5 horse Baldor motor, 80 gallon tank - cost $1700 but would eat any borg compressor for breakfast - 22 CFM @ 175 PSI CONTINUOUS duty (and that means 24/7) -

Lotta money, but this beast runs so quiet you can stand next to it and carry on a normal conversation and I NEVER have to wait for it to catch up whether using an inline sander, air grinder, or anything else.

Bottom line - they'll be "patting me in the face with a shovel" before I need another - works for me... Steve

I went and looked at an older compressor a machinist had built from a tank, motor, and compressor. The motor was an OLD 1 HP motor about the size of a 3 HP or even a 5 HP motor today.

But, the big thing about about this compressor is how quiet it is. It was almost silent and quieter than other oil lubed compressors. I didn't buy it because the compressor was way too small for me. It took at least five minutes to pump the tank to 40 PSI.

(I was looking at smaller portable oil lubed compressors to run a few small air tools before I decided to take the leap to a big stationary compressor. Seeing the 5HP 2 stage compressor for $500 pushed me to go stationary.)

Brian, I have used a Speedair true 3HP cast iron single stage for 18 years. It will last a long time, but it's too small for the HVLP conversion gun I bought.

I've been wanting a Quincy Industrial compresser for 20 years. They are very heavy duty pressure lubricated compressors run very low RPM so they are very quiet and last forever. Quincy now makes a cheaper compressor series too. The pump on mine is a Quincy model 325 which is a 2 stage that takes a 3 or 5HP motor. With a 3HP motor it only runs at 400RPM.

The problem is that new they are prohibitively expensive, over $3500 new. I've been watching Craig's list and I was finally able to find a single phase one on a smaller (60gal) tank. The one I bought came out of a Dentist office and other then being stored outside (not hooked up) for the past 5 years, it is like new. The motor needed a new start capacitor, and I'm repainting it (vanity) but I will end up with less than $400 in it.

Moral - look at used...joe

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    The C-Aire compressor for $500 is probably one of the best deals I will ever find. It is true 5 HP with a two stage compressor.
    Should you decide that you don't want that deal, LMK. I'll come by and kick you in the shins until you change your mind.

Seriously, a 5hp two stage for five bills? You don't have it yet?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wilson View Post
    Brian, the C-Aire is fine and that's a decent compressor especially at that price point. You may want to consider the next one up with a larger tank as you mention the use use of autobody tools.
    The compressor I am looking at is used. The step up from an 80 to a 120 gallon tank would be extremely expensive. Only C-Aire's most expensive line has a 120 gallon tank available and finding one used is not likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thiel View Post
    Should you decide that you don't want that deal, LMK. I'll come by and kick you in the shins until you change your mind.

Seriously, a 5hp two stage for five bills? You don't have it yet?
    I've exchanged emails with the guy and will call the guy shortly.

15. Brian,
    Jim is giving you good advice.
    I too purchased me IR compressor from Tractor Supply at a very attractable price, like $300 cheaper than anywhere else I could find.
    1st of all if your going to be doing auto body repairs I assume you will be painting as well.
    From experience you had better get an 80 gal. compressor w/ a 7.5 HP motor, min.
    It takes ALOT of air (CFM) to keep a paint gun going continuously for an hour or so.
    A 60 gal. compressor won't handle what your want to do.