Thread: Mobile base for sawstop

Mobile base for sawstop

I'm looking for a good mobilebase for my new SS. The sawstop one is backordered and wont be available for a while. any suggestions?
    Dave

Htc

HTC makes a base that fits it perfectly, I bought that with mine last year before the sawstop base was available and it has functioned fine. I don't know the model number but someone at HTC should be able to help you.

Woodcraft has the HTC. I would rather not have the extentions run out to the extention table legs (52"). Will it support enough if the extention is not out? Saw will not be moved often but I still want a base under it.

I would wait for the SawStop one. It is totally worth it! In the meantime i guess you could get the HTC to tide you over, i have it on a few tools of mine
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

Don't buy the grizzly "heavy duty" base. It claims a 1000 lb capacity, but it is visibly bowed under the weight of the saw. The urethane (or rubber) wheels are junk. They broke after the first move. I replaced them with some harbour freight casters which seem to hold up a little better. But for $70 you could hold out for a while for a good base. I for one would buy the Sawstop base if I were to do it again. It is about the same price as the HTC last I checked. Plus the saw sits on the floor not on wheels when the mobile base is lowered.

Quote Originally Posted by NICK BARBOZA View Post
    ...In the meantime i guess you could get the HTC to tide you over...
    What is it about the HTC bases do you find lacking? I like them, and have them under most stuff.

Jim

HTC 3274EX is the HTC base for the sawstop. ~$230.

The HTC is nice and I built a base/shelf onto mine. If you want just a saw on a base with no shelf then the SS base sure is nice and might be worth the wait. When lowered the saw is down and not resting on casters which is nicer than my HTC setup.

The best feature of the SawStop base is all the wheels swivel 360deg. Most other bases have at two wheels fixed, so you have to maneuver one end of the saw around. With all wheels swiveling it is so much easier to move that saw around my small shop.
    One good turn deserves another

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thiel View Post
    What is it about the HTC bases do you find lacking? I like them, and have them under most stuff.

Jim

Its not so much that the HTC is "lacking" but that the SawStop is so far superior. with it, you don't have any sort of frame work between the cabinet and the outboard legs on your extension table. i have the 52" SS and the base will tilt it to the left and lift the legs up.
    also having 4 swiveling casters is GREAT! you can turn it on a dime which is great for a small shop like mine. i really think that the SawStop base is worth every penny and probably even the wait.

good luck
    Nick
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

Ditto for waiting for the SawStop base. I have a little trouble getting the saw to lower itself into it's previous position due to it not dropping in a straight vertical line but this is a picky minor item.

I found a sawstop base in stock locally. I picked it up today. seems very beefy. thanks all
    Dave

good to hear! another thing that makes the SS base so superior in my opinion is that there is NO ASSEMBLY required on it. simply take it out of its huge box and put the saw on it. you will love it!

Nick