Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Embarassing thread for Japanese chisel owners

Embarassing thread for Japanese chisel owners

Embarassing for me, not you.

After all the discussion here on western vs japanese chisels, I decided to buy one Japanese style chisel to try out.

It showed up today, so I ran down to the basement to set it up and try it out. It came covered with some sort of clear lacquer protectant, so I got out my trusty scary sharp stuff to take off the lacquer and put a hone on it.....

then I dropped it.....

On the concrete floor....

I didn't see it hit, and it really doesn't look like it took a direct blow to the edge, but there are little tiny chips taken out of the edge all along its width (3/8 or so).

So I brought out some heavier grit (220) and ground back the bevel. Went up through the grits and finally to my waterstones, got a nice polish, but the little "teeth" are still there

So, question is, can I use scary sharp with the japanese chisel? Do I have to start over again?

DANG!!!!!!

I hope you didn't chip the concrete, Duncan!!

Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

You should be able to sharpen it with essentially any sharpening device. The steel in Japanese chisels is just a bit harder than western chisels but it's not so hard that you'd need something like a diamond stone to sharpen it. Regular sharpening things like oil stones, water stones, or scary sharp will work fine - also any of the water cooled powered sharpening tools.

Just remember to put a bit more of a bevel on it than you would on a western chisel.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Agree with Mike

Just re-establish what was there.

What we really need to know is, how slow did time move from the point of falling to the point you heard it impact? Was it a feeling of infinity? Do you feel as if you could have run a marathon in between?? Just saw a discovery channel series about the brain, and it talks about how it "slows time" and I was wondering if you experienced it.

So...where did you get the chisel from?

Dan
    Sharpening skills, the plane truth.

You didn't "drop it..."

You were merely testing the edge retention properties by chopping dovetails in a thick, exotic piece of cement.

And thanks for the test, I'll stick with my Western style chisels.

- jbd

Quote Originally Posted by John Dykes View Post
    You didn't "drop it..."

You were merely testing the edge retention properties by chopping dovetails in a thick, exotic piece of cement.

And thanks for the test, I'll stick with my Western style chisels.

- jbd
    BAAAAHaaahaaa ha haa

Very well scribed!

Oh, and the rules say!!!

IF THERE ARE NO PICS....IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

That is to say. If you don't post pics of the chisel soon. We must conclude that you have no chisel!

At least that's what I have been led to believe around here!

Dan

I wanna see the concrete floor...see how it is doing....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Well, at least you didn't try to catch it during the fall. That might have been more expensive than buying a new chisel.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Damhikt

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Well, at least you didn't try to catch it during the fall. That might have been more expensive than buying a new chisel.

Mike
    Hmm...

Just once, and you will most likely never try it again.

said the man with nine fingers. (I really have 10, thank you).

d

I really feel the love!

Does anyone remember Jean Shepards Christmas Story when Ralphie drops the lug nuts and then comes out with "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH @@@!$+)(Q*$)*Q@#Q*@_*_Q*#_Q*_*Q@_$" in real slow motion? It was just like that!

Well that's not a very good test. Concrete is way too hard for any woodworking chisel. I could have told you that "up front".

But, since you have to deal with it now, you can grind the blade on whatever you want. Just do it slowly in stages. Don't let the steel get hot or you will completely ruin the temper. The blade should not get more than "mildly warm" in your hand. And try not to grind so much steel off that you get into the hollow on the back of the blade or you will have a whole 'nother "can of worms" to deal with.
    David DeCristoforo

When I recover my composure I will go back at it with my flat plate and wet and dry. I do it all by hand so it will not get too hot. At 400 and above, I lubricate with water.

I got it from the Japan Woodworker 3/8" Blue Steel Chisel - Miyanaga.

Very understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Potter View Post
    I really feel the love!

Does anyone remember Jean Shepards Christmas Story when Ralphie drops the lug nuts and then comes out with "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH @@@!$+)(Q*$)*Q@#Q*@_*_Q*#_Q*_*Q@_$" in real slow motion? It was just like that!
    I think that's about what thinking, at least along those lines. Well played!

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Potter View Post
    When I recover my composure I will go back at it with my flat plate and wet and dry. I do it all by hand so it will not get too hot. At 400 and above, I lubricate with water.

I got it from the Japan Woodworker 3/8" Blue Steel Chisel - Miyanaga.
    Ahhhh good ...I was going to say "make sure your Japanese chisel is not "made in China" i saw a Japanese square at Woodcraft that caught my eye...but the label said Made in China!!!!
    There will never be a shortage of folks telling you why you can't or shouldn't do something...even though much has been accomplished that hasn't been done before !