Thread: 22-44 pro drum sander

22-44 pro drum sander

Someone has one for 500$ and says that it needs a new belt. This seems like a ridiculously good price. Can anyone who owns one give me some quick things to look for in regards to inspecting it? I can opt for a new conveyor belt at such a low price for the sander, assuming there are no other major problems.

Thanks in advance.
    -Alex
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Manufacturer?

It sounds like a good price if it's made by Performax or Jet or some other solid manufacturer.
    I bought a 'pro' baseball glove when I was a kid. First fastball broke through the web and hit me in the face.

Jim

It is a Performax. It looks like the shroud on the top was removed and a home-made one was built to connect for dust collection. Hopefully I can get a look at it in person before someone else nabs it.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Man, I've looking and looking for such a deal on one of these but I'll keep at it. One is bound to show up...some time....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Those belts are NOT cheap, just be aware before you purchase it. The pro takes the rubber feed belt... call around so you know what you're looking at first.

*hint* it's $300+ for the belt in most places.

mike

I have the 22-44 pro and like it. I think new it was around $2200? The conveyor belt is a pretty easy replacement though I don't know what the cost is. The stock dust shroud is so effective I could see little reason to replace it with a shop made version other than breakage, which would lead me to wonder what else might be broken? Between a missing dust shroud and spent conveyor I'd say some hard miles may have been logged on that machine so a careful inspection is in order.

Make sure the drum is not warped, that both motors work, that there is not excessive play between the drum and bearings, that the stock support table is flat, that the drum can be made parallel to the table, and that the height adjustment mechanism is in good working order.

Could be a good deal on a capable machine, or could be a fair price on a high milage tool in need of significant repair. Hard to say without seeing it yourself.

still for $500 + $300 for a new belt $800 total for a 22-44 pro that is one heck of a deal. Jump on it. Most I see sell for around $1200 ish used and the belt is usally a little worn. so for $800 you are getting one with a new belt provided that is all that is wrong.
    -=Jason=-

how can a belt be 300$, what kind of belt are we talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Oliveira View Post
    how can a belt be 300$, what kind of belt are we talking about?
    That would be the conveyor belt that moves the stock past the drum, not the rubber drive belt that connects the motor to the drive pulley. Its like a very large belt sander belt that makes the whole thing happen. They have rubber ones now too?

There are 2 types of belt. The plus models come with the abrasive belts (think large sanding belt) and the Pro models come with durable rubber versions (with cloth threading in them) which are textured to provide extra grip to the workpiece as it moves under the sanding head.

When my belt needs replacing (if) I'll call around to the commercial conveyor belt places and see if they can make one. I'm sure it's possible, just don't know if it's economical to do so.

mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Spanbauer View Post
    There are 2 types of belt. The plus models come with the abrasive belts (think large sanding belt) and the Pro models come with durable rubber versions (with cloth threading in them) which are textured to provide extra grip to the workpiece as it moves under the sanding head.

When my belt needs replacing (if) I'll call around to the commercial conveyor belt places and see if they can make one. I'm sure it's possible, just don't know if it's economical to do so.

mike
    Hmmm, I'm guess the PM isn't showing up in your shop any time soon?! haha
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I shot her an email, but given I haven't heard from her I would guess the DDS is gone :/

Shame too, would have been a welcome addition.

I owe some pics still

mike

So I'm doing some looking around the web cause I have a 22-44 pro and it has the 100g cloth belt, not a rubber fabric type thing. I don't see any reference to the rubber belts on any sellers adds for the 22-44, or on WMH's web site.

Seems WMH split the Performax thing up, Now SuperMax is making the bigger sanders as a separate company, Jet is marketing the 16-32 and 22-44's, and WMH is selling a line of Performax tools that make Ryobi look good! Weird.

My 22-44 Pro has the performax name on it but several of the knobs and handles have the JET logo, as do the casters. Does anybody know if the rubber belt makes much difference and where it might be sold?