Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodmaster 612 Instruction Manual

Woodmaster 612 Instruction Manual

Does anyone have an instruction manual for the Woodmaster 612? I just picked one up, and Woodmaster Tools no longer carries the instruction manual for this model (per my telephone call to them this morning). I was hoping to find someone kind enough to scan in a set for me.

All the best.

Homer,

Can you tell me more about the 612 ? Is it a planer/Molder ?How wide of material does it accept? How many HP etc. If it is similar to the 712 I may be able to help. Let me know.

Joe

The 612 is the precurser to the 712, from what I can tell. It's being delivered to me tomorrow, but below is a picture of the beast. It is a 12" jointer/planer/molder/sander with a 5 horse Leeson motor, which tells me that there may be some tricks to setting it up properly and converting it over (although it looks like there is no table flipping, just "joint" over the cutter head and plane under it).

From my understanding, there is no stock dust collection, so I will be rigging up some sort of dust chute for this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Homer,
    I have a 612. I will look for the manual tonight and see what I can get for you. I can tell you that the planer is a simple machine and everything is pretty much self evident. Unfortunately, for that reason I may not have the manual as I have had the planer for 25 years. I did swap the cutterhead for the new style with the taper shafts. (got it free from the factory after the old cutterhead threw a knife because the gib bolts were grade 5 and the marking nibs dug into the wall of the slot causing the blade to come out) I would almost state the new cutterhead is a requirement if you are going to be changing from planer to shaper and don't want to spend all day removing bearings. Other than that I think that it is a good solid machine at a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Saunders View Post
    Hi Homer,
    I have a 612. I will look for the manual tonight and see what I can get for you. I can tell you that the planer is a simple machine and everything is pretty much self evident. Unfortunately, for that reason I may not have the manual as I have had the planer for 25 years. I did swap the cutterhead for the new style with the taper shafts. (got it free from the factory after the old cutterhead threw a knife because the gib bolts were grade 5 and the marking nibs dug into the wall of the slot causing the blade to come out) I would almost state the new cutterhead is a requirement if you are going to be changing from planer to shaper and don't want to spend all day removing bearings. Other than that I think that it is a good solid machine at a reasonable price.
    Thanks, Chuck. Do the cutter heads for the 712 fit the 612? If this turns out to be a reasonable Jointer and Planer, I might be interested in getting a shelix head for it.

Blog Entries
    I also have the Woodmaster 612. I think that Woodmaster sold the rights to the 612 to another company called RBI Industries. As it turns out They have the manual for this baby online here http://www.rbiwoodtools.com/Resource...ner_Manual.pdf

Isn't this forum great!!!!!

BTW I made my own dust collection hood for mine out of a HVAC floor vent. I will post a picture if you would like.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 05-14-2008 at 5:09 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    I also have the Woodmaster 612. I think that Woodmaster sold the rights to the 612 to another company called RBI Industries. As it turns out They have the manual for this baby online here http://www.rbiwoodtools.com/Resource...ner_Manual.pdf

Isn't this forum great!!!!!

BTW I made my own dust collection hood for mine out of a HVAC floor vent. I will post a picture if you would like.
    Larry, you're the best! I'd love to see your dust collection hood. Man, you really came through for me . . . and now I have some hope that I can maybe get parts for this bad boy.

Blog Entries
    Homer,
    The one I have was my fathers. I found the original sales receipt fro 1976. He paid over $1600 for it way back then!
    I was able to order some replacement parts from RBI such as the feed rollers and some other stuff. I talked to a guy there that was very helpful.
    I really like mine, except that the knives are very hard to get set perfectly. And I really don't understand how to change out the planer head for the molder head in less than a couple of hours.
    But this thing is a beast!! Very heavy duty. I don't have the jointer attachment like is installed on yours. But I don't need it either.

I'll try to take a picture or 2 for you tonight.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    Homer,
    Here are some pictures of my dust hood on my 612
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 05-14-2008 at 8:10 PM.
    Larry J Browning

Heres' the Deal with the RBI

RBI began manufactturing in 1929 for Belsaw. They made all of their planers until 1980 when RBI went to the universal planer and Belsaw declined to market it. RBI cut ties and marketed it themselves. It appears they also made planers for Woodmasters as I saw a photo of one and it's a duplicate of RBI's. Some of the parts are still available at Hawk Tools known for their 2,000 dollar scrool saws. I have the 612T with a 3HP 220V Leeson motor. I made some modifications ( Saftey Switch and Dust Collection) you might find interesting and I will upload some pictures tomorrow. Brian

Thanks Larry, now I know where a copy of my manual is

RBI 612 Modifications

First time posting pictures so bare with me on this. I found the power switch to be very difficult to turn off and on and upgraded to a paddle switch from grizzly (H8243) very easy mod use the original box. For dust collection I went with the Mini big Gulp from Peachtree. I have not been able to test it yet, but wanted something I could use overhead and not be in the way when planing. If anyone has any other ideas please share them with the rest of us as parts are difficult to come by and expensive. Has anyone ordered blades for this? I know RBI has then for 90.00 a set someone surely can make then cheaper. Has someone bought blades from somewhere else and used them with sucess? If you have any questions on my mods just PM me. Sorry the files where to big and had to zip them. Thanks Brian
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kirby View Post
    First time posting pictures so bare with me on this. I found the power switch to be very difficult to turn off and on and upgraded to a paddle switch from grizzly (H8243) very easy mod use the original box. For dust collection I went with the Mini big Gulp from Peachtree. I have not been able to test it yet, but wanted something I could use overhead and not be in the way when planing. If anyone has any other ideas please share them with the rest of us as parts are difficult to come by and expensive. Has anyone ordered blades for this? I know RBI has then for 90.00 a set someone surely can make then cheaper. Has someone bought blades from somewhere else and used them with sucess? If you have any questions on my mods just PM me. Sorry the files where to big and had to zip them. Thanks Brian
    Nice mods. I'm going to be doing something similar. I am going to check the dimensions on my planer blades to make sure that they fit, but it looks like the blades that woodmaster makes for the 712 will work, and they're $36 per set of 3. http://www.woodmastertools.com/NS/ac...ail.cfm?PID=35 That's a lot more reasonable in my book.

Original Woodmaster 612 Manual scan

Hi,

I've scanned the original Woodmaster Model 612 operators manual. Send me a PM if you'd like me to send it to you.

Best regards,

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kirby View Post

So how did the mini big gulp work. I need to do the same thing. Did the chips come out the front and if not how large of a collection system do you have?