Thread: Belt/Disc Sander and Thanks

Question Belt/Disc Sander and Thanks

First, thanks for the responses to my last post(s). You guys have been a big help.

Now for the question, Any suggestions for a basic combination belt/disc sander. I looked at a Craftsman, had a very reasonable price, but looks rather flimsy. I don't want to invest top $, since the new table saw was ordered this week (I went with the Delta Limited Edition Contractor Saw with the Beismeyer Fence, although the fence choice was a tough decision).

<b><font size = 3 color = green>Hey Paul,

I've been looking at sanding center options myself (belt/disk and drum) and have found that some of the most cost effective options seem to be from grizzly:

<center><a href="http://www.grizzly.com/products/items-list.cfm?key=500000&gid=AB180532-2247-4FDC-91FD-DF18E100F166&site=grizzly">Grizzly's line of sanders</a></center>

Hope this helps,</font>

<font size = 3 color = blue> Jim Izat</font></b>

Grizzly may make some good sanders, but I can't say I'm particularly fond of my 1014Z. The design has lots of flaws - the table for the disk sander is mounted on a round rod and doesn't keep an angle setting well anyway, while the stop for the belt gets knocked around easily.

Whatever you get, I'd look at it closely and in person before laying out the dollars. The 1014Z is one case where I wish I'd known better. It was cheap, and it'll hold for a few years, but working with it's a nuisance.

I agree with Simon. I found the belt worked okay, but we bought it for the disc...and wasted out money. We replaced ours with a JET edge sander.

KC

If you'll wait & save your money & purchase this sander you won't be disappointed.
    Yes I know it's expensive but you know they say good things come to those who wait.
    Please be patient.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...6&site=grizzly
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 03-09-2003 at 10:54 AM.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

I agree with Bart. The G1276 is a nice, well built machine. I went to Bellingham to look at the G1014 and wasn't impressed. The G1276 looked much more substansial. Unless I find a screaming deal on the Jet 12" 6X48 combo, I'll be getting the G1276 one of these days.

Chris

I have the Grizzly 1014Z - I agree that the table in front of the disk sander is not very stable. But on the other hand - for what I use this machine for - it gets the job done and is inexpensive. I could not see paying almost $500.00 bucks for the fancier one. Given that you just spent aprox 800 dollars on your Delta saw - It would seem a bit out of proportion to spend 500 bucks on a disk sander. There are probably more important/useful tools to spend that kind on money on (like a Jointer or a drill press etc.).

Just my 2 cents

The other Bart
    Last edited by Bart Goldberg; 03-09-2003 at 12:30 PM.
    Measure Once, Cut twice, Curse@#$, Buy More Lumber!