Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Well check out this BCTW new thingamagadget

Both Bridge City and Sawstop are in Portland, and so I am guessing that the collaboration will soon be announced. But, to save the valuable handsaw, I am thinking the brake material will be something akin to a sanding belt cleaner. John Economaki is a clever and persistent tool designer. Their site also lists a forthcoming honing jig which looks to be of some interest.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Amy, perhaps Cro Magnon instead of Neanderthal ... an evolutionary step, rather than a Neanderthal dead end.

*grin*

That does look like an interesting saw, but not at $1000. I also noticed that the person doing the demos used mostly very soft wood for the cuts.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

now if they added a gizmo that raised the blade after each cut (on the pull back stroke) so that thicker cuts could be made, and the depth of cut per stroke could be adjusted for different woods and sharpening skills.

Not sure if this could be used to make the stopped cut in flat tenon, with the saw slope, unless they only slope the entry portion of the saw blade

I am baffled that there are no micrometers or sliding side table for this, to be this precise with a handsaw ...... They might need a new brand name, as Festool is only known for power tools, and this is pricey even for BCTW standards

Maybe this could be moved to the CroMagnum section .....
    The wisest thing in the world is to cry out before you are hurt.

Board-Stretcher 101 : I cut it twice and it's still too short. I don't understand?

Very interesting tool, I can see this being a great starting point for some really smart tool designers (festool are you listening), to make a new tool that really blows away the hand saw for finishing work.

Give it a year or two and someone will make one we all have to have.
    No matter where you go, there you are. B. Banzai

$1,000 for a hand powered mini table saw?? Hmm guess they are going for the high markup / fewer sales economic model. Next question is how much is a replacement blade, or sharpening? $1,000 and the gears for raising the blade look to be plastic. Not very many parts in it. Where is the cost comming from?? Couple hundred dollar range, but I see nothing to warrant $1,000 especially with plastic gears.

that is pretty cool but i agree way over priced, your not cheap. i would say 200-300 hundred i mean its a handsaw mounted to a table on a trunnion with a miter gage and sled, i just bought a 6" grizzly jointer and a 14" 1.5 hp grizzly bandsaw for 1150 delivered and this is 1000.

Wait for Release 2. That one is suppose to come with the SawStop brake in case your finger hits the blade. Of course, the price on that one is $4K

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

They could always look into the name Lesstool at that price point

I can see that in my shop someday when the price comes down. It looks pretty slick.
    I want to create love in my woodworking with a love for woodworking.

Makes me wonder if someone could make a TS blade that acted like a Japanese backsaw.

Really narrow kerf, lots of teeth. That could take a finger off and you wouldn't even feel it!
    Last edited by Carl Fox; 05-15-2008 at 2:23 PM. Reason: me grammer no good

That price tag might be just the incentive I need to improve my skills with the back saw. I always prefer the blade is not facing me when using not motorized tools.

As to the hardness of wood being cut in the demo I saw they were using white oak (was labeled OAK) to cut dovetail pins.

I would like a bigger version ( I know it would cost $10,000 or so), for resawing veneers from 12' long planks.

It may take awhile to cut a slice but:
    1- It would be quiet.
    2- Everone needs more exercise as they age.
    3- Someone is sure to make a hand pumped dust collector to mate with it.
    4- When I start to slice into my finger , the pain sensation would be a low cost SawStop.

Blog Entries
    Well, I'll have to stick with my Powermatic Table saw and an Incra fence. Bought both for far less.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

For $1000., its got to have a motor on it somewhere.