Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Charleston double chest

Charleston double chest

My sons and I have been meeting one week each year to work on a project. This year Don Harris joined us. Many of you saw the corner cupboards we did 2 years ago. This year we copied the frontispiece on the cover of Samuel Humphrey's book on Thomas Elfe cabinetmaker. We used wide and figured South American mahogany from Irion lumber, cypress from a local NC mill, pulls from Ball and Ball, locks and repro wrought nails from Horton Brasses, and key escutcheons from White Chapel. I dyed mine with water soluable aniline dye and finished with orange shellac and wax.

All dovetails are hand done, and as usual all interior surfaces are handplaned. The exterior was scraped and lightly sanded, wetted, sanded with 320, wetted, sanded with 320, dyed, finished, and waxed. It is always fun to have the sons home. Thanks for looking, and look for others just like it soon.

Ben
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Nice,
    I building a Lonnie Byrd Chest of Drawers and hope its 1/2 as nice as yours...
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

Wow Ben. You don't post much, but when you do, it is always a jaw-dropper.

Very. nice. work.

Ben

My hat is off to you.... What a beautiful piece of furniture.

Fantastic job.

Hard to find words...WOW doesn't seem enough. Please tell me that it took you more than 1 week, though! It sounds as if you each made one. Even more impressive.

Mark

Fantastic pieces!! Very very nice. How did you do the detailed work on the tops (3rd picture) or did you get them pre-made?

Nice work! Are the drawer fronts veneered? What is the diameter of the cockbeading? Can you post a photo of the dovetails you chose for the drawers?
    Thanks.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

We certainly did not get all of this done in just a week. I estimated that it took about 150 hours to build this piece. Calvin bandsawed strips, scraped, and stacked them. After attaching the pattern, he scroll sawed them. We then cleaned them up with chisels(actually Don did mine). Matt and Calvin came up with the fluting jig. Don and I prepared stock and made the tails of all the tops and bottoms. One real chore in all of this is stock preparation. With full dust boards and all, it took a lot of cypress. My middle son, Ernie, couldnn't come this time.

We are now trying to decide what's next. Thanks for looking.

Ben
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another superb job Ben. I always look forward to your posts. Your description of the work methodology sort of sounds like how I suspect that the larger 18th century cabinet shops worked. Kind of a Neanderthal production line.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Not only is the work exquisite, the way you bring the family together to do these projects is just plain awesome. Wonderful, Ben.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Outstanding reproduction of the Elfe chest on chest by Hobbs & Sons. Very beautiful even though after my wife upon seeing a reproduction, could not see into the small, upper drawers well. I always questioned why so high after that even though I know the answer is visual effect.

But a breath-taker none the less. Keep up the out-standing work by you and the "boys".

Regards...

Sarge..

The drawer fronts are solid wood. The original was veneered, but since my resawing capacity isn't very good we decided to do in the solid. It also helps to have first class materials.

Ben

Impeccable and Beautiful! Thanks For Sharing - Quite a Tribute to you and your family that you get together for these things. What are you going to do with it?
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Beautiful work.

Ben, I have to say that the work is beautiful on all parts, but that your journey and experience along with memories with these projects has to be the most inspiring.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"